Austin
Sponsored by

Water heater service/replacement?

910 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bitter Old Man
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for cheap service? Everyone is telling me they charge a nominal fee code permitting inside City of Austin (thanks, COA).
SteveBott
AG
I am in Round Rock and contractors still quote an upfront fee. My washer went out and had a guy come look at. Basically the fix cost point will usually close to replace cost.
Potcake
AG
We've had to replace three thermostats between our two heaters over the last five years. We've used Allstate twice and Clarke Kent once.
87IE
AG
rather be fishing said:

Any recommendations for cheap service? Everyone is telling me they charge a nominal fee code permitting inside City of Austin (thanks, COA).
Unfortunately you will be hard pressed to find a company that is willing to do it without pulling a permit.

You may be better off looking for a handyman/handywoman type.

From memory (over 5 yrs ago) the permit requires
  • anti-siphon valves on all outdoor spigots
  • Smoke Detectors within 10 (???) feet of all bedrooms
  • drain pan for the water heater (mine is in a closet in the garage and had to be plumbed out of the closet and down to the lowest level of the garage)
  • updated gas shutoff valve
  • gas "trap" in the gas line
  • expansion tank (that one is new)

rather be fishing
AG
Yeah, sounds like we're going to end up having to have all of that crap done. What is the point of a pan that won't serve any purpose in the event of a full on leak?

Service tech is heading out now. Believe it or not, plumbers are in high demand after the cold this week.
Martin Q. Blank
rather be fishing said:

Replace it yourself?
rather be fishing
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

rather be fishing said:

Replace it yourself?

I attempted twice to replace a poorly made part I got at Lowe's only to have gas leaking from the pilot line because of a faulty compression fitting that I couldn't buy anywhere for less than $20. Service guy came out and had the fitting and get everything hooked back up and running for a reasonable fee and ignored the code issues. We'll limp along until it's time to replace.
Bitter Old Man
AG
NM
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.