Austin
Sponsored by

Lawyer needed

1,909 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txjortsagent
Squatch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My house has a leaking roof from a custom build that was done 3 years ago. The builder is trying to get out of doing the repairs without a big bill attached. Anyone know of a lawyer who would specialize in this type of dispute? I would appreciate any insight.
KT 90
AG
Google Austin Lawyer Referral Service and call them, they can help hook you up with someone that can potentially help. It's free, and you get a free consultation with whomever they refer you to and then you can decide if it is a good match or not.

Of course someone on this board may already know a specific name that could help you out as well. But short of that, I'd start with the referral service and see where that gets you.

who?mikejones
AG
How long was the warranty?
These are my people, Americans.
SteveBott
AG
The builder likely gave a one year warranty. Most likely the OP did not get a warranty from the subcontractor or roof guy. Hence the problem.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I have worked with Chris McMillan briefly. Aggie and knowledgeable in the construction industry....I would start with him. If for whatever reason you don't work with him I am sure he would point you in the right direction.

https://www.winstead.com/People/Chris-McMillan

Aggietaco
AG
Wouldn't a roof leak fall under the habitability portion of the 10 year new home warranty?
SteveBott
AG
That is a question for the lawyer
Squatch
AG
Appreciate all the replies. I was under the impression that the builder is liable for 10 years. I have even heard 15 years thrown out there by some. I bought the house from a couple who had it custom built but then relocated before they could move in, so I don't have any knowledge of the original contract between them and the builder. I'll reach out to the lawyer and see what he thinks.
Diggity
AG
10 years is the structural warranty. Unless the roof has caved in I don't think you'll have much recourse unfortunately.
leanderag82
AG
Have you spoken to the original builder and/or the roof sub-contractor? Have you identified where the leak is occurring and what is causing the leak.

These might be less expensive first steps than contacting an attorney.

While the builders warranty and any subcontractor warranty would transfer to subsequent buyers, your seller should have probably provided warranty documentation to you. In your warranty documents, you should have been provided list of subcontractors.

Did you have the home inspected when you purchased?
TxAgg07
AG
Most builders only have a one year warranty on items outside of major frame and foundation issues, which have a 10 year warranty. The builder is under no obligation to make any repairs.
Squatch
AG
Appreciate the replies. I definitely had the house inspected but of course they found no issues. I've contacted the builder and he brought in his roofer to assess the damage......sloping/design issues in one spot, poor choice of materials in the other.

What is interesting is the roofing contractor who did the roof was pulled off midway b/c of issues with the build. This new roofer that the builder uses didn't do any of the work. Everyone seems to be hush hush on what kind of problems were present during the original work and I don't know who finished it.

As far as warranty documentation, I'm in the process of contacting the original owner.

I had an independent roofer come out to my house and he basically told me that the roof sucks, was poorly done, has areas which look unfinished, some hail damage, 2 leaks, and probably needs to be replaced. His suggestion was to file a claim with my insurance and get a new roof, which he was confident would be approved. ($2,500 deductible). This is the route I'm leaning towards, but thought I would talk to a lawyer first to cover my bases.

What a mess.
txjortsagent
AG
Assurance Roofing in Austin for the roof
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.