Austin
Sponsored by

Home water softener questions / recommendations

1,258 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by texancanuck11
goose91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

I just bought a new home in Round Rock. NW Corner of 130 and 79 in the Sienna development. Closed on it last week.

I've already had a couple water softener companies knock on the door, offer to test my water and preaching doom and gloom for my home if I don't install their product.

For those of you who have lived in the area for a while -
  • do you have a whole home water softening system?
  • would you recommend having one installed?
  • who did you use to install it?
  • who would you recommend to do it?
  • and if you don't mind disclosing it - how much did it cost to have it done?

I grew up in South Austin and my parents still live in that home. We never had one there and i don't recall ever having any problems with the water in that house.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks in advance!

Gig'em and Happy Thanksgiving!
Chris '91
Archie86
First, is your home pre-plumbed for a water softener system?
goose91
AG
No. It isn't pre-plumbed but the water main/meter is on the same side of the house as the garage which I've been told will save me some installation cosrs.
SteveBott
AG
RR has different water then Austin so you will need one. The plumbing to set up is gonna cost you. I bought a base softener at Lowe's for around 200. You can spend thousands if you want.

While it's not doom and gloom without one your wife. Will get tired quick of the residue on your glasses and plates
Dcampise
Stay away from companies coming by to test your water. They charge upwards of $6k for mediocre equipment. The big box stores don't sell quality units either. The quality of the softener rests primarily on the "head" or controller of the softener. I've removed dozens of GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore, for dissatisfied customers. Some new, some a few years old. I decidedly do very little water filtration systems, as i don't feel they're worth the expense and maintenance, but if you want to know more about them I'd be happy to talk it over with you. I am located in Taylor and work in Austin. I have owned and operated a plumbing business since 2008.
Austin Ag 04
AG
Dcampise said:

Stay away from companies coming by to test your water. They charge upwards of $6k for mediocre equipment. The big box stores don't sell quality units either. The quality of the softener rests primarily on the "head" or controller of the softener. I've removed dozens of GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore, for dissatisfied customers. Some new, some a few years old. I decidedly do very little water filtration systems, as i don't feel they're worth the expense and maintenance, but if you want to know more about them I'd be happy to talk it over with you. I am located in Taylor and work in Austin. I have owned and operated a plumbing business since 2008.
Dcampise, I live in Bee Cave and we're considering adding a water softener to our house (3 beds, 3 baths, 3rd bath is rarely used since it's a guest bath). The house isn't pre-plumbed for one, but several neighbors have had them installed with no issues on the installation. I'm interested to see what type of system you would recommend. I assume we would need to add an RO system at the kitchen sink for drinking water as well.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I'm also in Bee Cave. (lake pointe) I just bought an Aquasana system that includes a descaling tank. I'm looking for a plumber who will install it for me. My house is not preplumbed, so I need a loop installed. I had a Lake Travis Plumbing guy out, and his quote was stupid high.

Are you interested?
texancanuck11
The water at my house is terrible. It's full of minerals, it's hard, etc. I don't mind showering in it, it doesn't taste/smell bad, you can brush your teeth with it, but it leaves a terrible film on glasses, and it does a number on the laundry.

I'm not in a place where I can afford a full house filtration, but the dishes were bugging me. I installed a dishwasher filter, and it's worked great. I included the link below. I haven't figured anything out for the laundry yet, but this was a quick/easy fix for my biggest issue.

Dishwasher Water Filter

So it really comes down to what you're wanting, what you can live with, and how long you plan to stay in the house.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.