Austin
Sponsored by

Learn to play golf/lessons?

832 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Blahhead
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As embarrassing as this may sound, I'm looking for somewhere I can possibly take golf lessons and learn how to play the game at at least a competent level. I'm in my mid-upper 20s and am in a career field where I believe knowing will be beneficial to me.

I've only played a handful of times, and was quite terrible. When I lived in Tyler, I had some friends that offered to help me learn but I never really got to get good practice as those behind us were constantly catching up as I was so slow/bad and we'd just move on.

So, can anyone help me out here? Places that might do this on Saturdays and/or Sundays? Not 100% ready to commit, but I'd like to shop around if possible with options, if this exists.

TIA Ags!
dmart90
AG
I've hit a few balls at Chipper Golf Driving Range - but it's been a while. There's a golf pro that does lessons out there - at least there was. Took a lesson from him and saw a marked improvement.
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
KRamp90
AG
https://barbarapuett.com/
Blahhead
I grew up playing golf and taking lessons as young as six. I felt I needed a little help in my late 20's, and when I got to Austin, I went in for more lessons. I went to Dave at First Tee, Larry at Golf Galaxy, two different GolfTec guys, etc. The swing philosophy was all over the place. It was a mess. My decent game had turned into a mess.

I got myself down to a good handicap and then really started researching my stuff. I took a lesson and then bought a 10 pack with Van Johns at GolfTec. He taught me a ton in my first few lessons, but then we really started to drop off, and I still have some lessons left. After that, I took the advice of the people at my club and went to see Rufus Brijalba. Look up the Hills or Flintrock and call him, you won't regret it.

I can beat most any average golfer, but you get to a point where you want to beat the best. Not PGA dudes, but when you really get into this game, there are a lot of good golfers you will connect with. You will want to beat them. Call Rufus first and then Van.

I am in my thirties now and back down to a single digit handicap.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.