Austin
Sponsored by

Franklin's gutted by fire this morning

1,602 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Throwout
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like roof collapsed partially and damage is significant. Someone was. Poking inside when the fire started
512Ag
AG
Damn. My brother-in-law is a welder for Franklin and my sister-in-law owns the Legend Coffee trailer on site at Franklin's. I hope everything there is ok.
Potcake
AG
KXAN says restaurant part was had slight smoke damage. The pits had quite a bit more.
512Ag
AG
Texted with my SIL. Coffee trailer is ok, but Franklin's is in extremely bad shape. That's about all the detail I can give, but it's bad.
gdogg00
AG
No indications how/what started it all?
512Ag
AG
An ember blew up in the wind and got caught under the roof/ceiling.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/aaron-franklin-will-rebuild/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Web%20Social&utm_content=Franklin%20Fire%20Interview
Potcake
AG
Franklin is a good dude.
"Once the fire was out, Franklin offered briskets to the firefighters. There were 110 finished ones sitting in the warmers unharmed, but without any utilities in the building, Franklin couldn't exactly serve them. The firefighters said they weren't allowed to accept them, but I wouldn't blame any of Austin's finest if they were having brisket for dinner."
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Not allowed to accept the briskets? Sounds about right for Austin. Stupid. It's not cash it's cooked food that's going to go bad. Think of what a great PR move for AFD and a little something good to come out of the fire but no can't accept those briskets.
Potcake
AG
You can hoist your political flag if you want but public servants, city, state, federal, are not allowed to accept gifts. It's pretty much the same situation as athletes and boosters. It is mainly to avoid the perception of impropriety.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Potcake said:

You can hoist your political flag if you want but public servants, city, state, federal, are not allowed to accept gifts. It's pretty much the same situation as athletes and boosters. It is mainly to avoid the perception of impropriety.

I totally get the policy and the perception of impropriety concerning gifts but I still think it's dumb in this special case. Like I said it's cooked food that's going to spoil. Maybe Aaron could have marked the briskets down to $1 each and just have the guys buy them.
Even give them receipts so it's ok with the City of Austin. But I'm sure people would ***** about them getting $100 briskets for a $1 and want to know why they can't do the same. Let's just follow policy here and give them to the ARCH (are they allowed to accept them? Or a food bank) or throw them away.
I would have liked the story to end that way with the firefighters getting them and thought it would be a cool story plus something good for Austin.
I took my American flag down before all the weather hit.
Potcake
AG
I think it was awesome that Aaron offered them. I also don't like seeing food that died go to waste. Your comment intimated COA politics (your views not so transparent) were to blame, that was the point of my post.
JAW3336
AG
Why would anyone defend COA politics? It is a cesspool.
512Ag
AG
Franklin is going to be shut down for a while, but my SIL's coffee trailer is still open on the restaurant site. If y'all need caffeine, are near downtown, & want to support a local business owner, I know she'd appreciate the business. The trailer is on the backside of the restaurant.
HTownAg98
This isn't just City of Austin. Most if not all government entities have limits or outright bans on gifts.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Most if not all government entities have limits or outright bans on gifts.

I think most people are aware of this, and understand it. I think the point is that the voice of reason is never even allowed into the situation.

Working on a project for the state of CA, and we decided to bring donuts to a meeting. Nope - rejected. Can't do it because of policy. It's donuts. I realize some people might try to persuade the gov't with cars, boats, money, etc. but donuts. come on.
Throwout
AG
You neglected to mention that it's damn good coffee!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.