Austin
Sponsored by

Looking like a move to the Georgetown area is coming

2,240 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Blahhead
DFWAGGIE2007!!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy y'all!

I have e a job opportunity that will more than likely take me to the Georgetown area. I live in dallas and don't know much about the hill country area. Any help would be appreciated. Public schools for the kids, where to live, etc would be helpful!
BiochemAg97
AG
DFWAGGIE2007!! said:

Howdy y'all!

I have e a job opportunity that will more than likely take me to the Georgetown area. I live in dallas and don't know much about the hill country area. Any help would be appreciated. Public schools for the kids, where to live, etc would be helpful!
Leander ISD and Round Rock ISD are pretty large, so look carefully at individual schools if you go that route. Basically, multiple high schools with all of them 6A. Georgetown ISD has 2 HS, so which one you end up zoned for might make a difference too. Liberty Hill is another school district that some people say is pretty good (more small town feel). All those area are reasonably close to Georgetown for commuting to work.

Aside from that, lots of neighborhoods with numerous amenities, just take your pick. Lots of growth in the area too with new development all over the place.

Edit: Not meaning to imply that any of the schools are bad choices, but there are a number of different options available at different schools. For example, Stoney Point HS (RRISD) has an Ag program that isn't available at Round Rock HS (RRISD), but RRHS has a computer graphics program that I don't think is at Stoney Point.
BiochemAg97
AG
Also, there are a number of charter and private schools in the area that may be worth a look at. If you aren't interested in paying extra (beyond what you pay in property taxes) for your kids eduction, the charter schools are generally tuition free.

DFWAGGIE2007!!
AG
That is awesome. I am very thankful for the time you took to write such a detailed response! This is going to be very helpful!
BiochemAg97
AG
Just so you are aware, sometime during the next year, the bridge across 35 at Old Settlers/3406 in Round Rock is going to be one way (all traffic going west) for about 8 months while it is rebuilt. Since you would be commuting to Georgetown, I would avoid relocating to any of the neighborhoods on 3406 west of 35.
SteveBott
AG
As said there are no "bad" schools or systems in Williamson County. The specialty differences are HS level. I would look at location and commute first. Gtown is a good community and still not far from Austin if that is what you want. Nice lake not too far either. Again lifestyle should drive the bus besides commute.

good luck
JAW3336
AG
Georgetown has a disproportionate number of olds because of sun city. I grew up there but would never move back.

The commute from RR north on 35 is really easy.
SteveBott
AG
Olds are all in Sun City and not much a factor in real life except tax increase votes.

Otherwise they keep to themselves. Red Herring
TRD-Ferguson
AG
That's simply untrue. Lived there 30 years and much of what made G'town special died with Sun City. I'm 62 so I'm old and can say such things

Seriously, it's not just the taxes. It's all of politics and business planning for G'town. They effectively run the town because they vote.

They can and will vote for any bond issue that suits them because much of the time it does not impact their taxes. Particularly property taxes.

It's a great town but SC is a big factor that can be good or bad depending on who's ox is being gored.
96ags
AG
As long as you go out to eat after 4:30 you generally miss all the olds.

Lived in Gtown for the last 20 years. Some change has been good, some bad. I don't much care for cranky northern olds that moved to Sun City, but the the Texas ones ain't bad.

If you are like most people with careers and families, you won't have enough time to worry about the Sun City crowd, good or bad.

I like Gtown and selfishly wish you wouldn't move here because we don't need more folks, but it is a pretty good place to raise a family.
Mookie
AG
The olds make shopping at the HEB on Williams Dr. unbearable.

I like Gtown. Like most posters have said, it's a great place to live and raise a family, very hard to make a bad school decision.

I live just down the road at parmer/620 because we liked McNeil HS better, but we probably would have gone the Gtown route if we had to start all over again. Good luck with the move, and welcome to the area!
BiochemAg97
AG
Just another bit of info on local schools.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local-education/just-these-central-texas-schools-fail-state-academic-standards/ihQgY7rMIpbrWhNrsJOPvI/

AgGrad99
AG
I have family in Georgetown, and have looked at moving there a couple times.

In general, schools there are good, but I definitely preferred some over others (at each level). When looking at a house, I'd find myself liking the elem and HS, but not the MS....or another similar combination. There are a few pockets of neighborhoods where I liked all three. Admittedly though, I'm probably more picky than most about this, and for most districts, I'd probably have a similar concern.

The Sun City crowd might have been a bigger issue in the past, but Georgetown has grown. Yes, they're an obvious voting block, but their influence isn't as noticeable as it once was. Things have changed in the last 10 years.

JAW3336
AG
Obviously it differs for each person but the sheer number of olds keeps.me from going to gtown to shop or eat.

I actively avoid it.

The traffic is pathetic and accentuated because of the sun City crowd. I grew up there but hate the town now.
AgGrad99
AG
Maybe you're right about the older crowd....I've just never really noticed it. I mean, maybe it's an older crowd, but it's not like there are less people trying to eat in Georgetown, compared to a restaurant off 1431 in Cedar Park.

I love going to the Square...eating, walking around, getting a cup of coffee...taking the kids to the toy store or the candy shop. It still has a lot of charm to me.

There is a cool new place on the square called Mesquite Creek outfitters. It's a great place to kill an hour while the ladies shop.
DFWAGGIE2007!!
AG
I want to tell everyone I am very appreciative of all the help. This has been made easier due to all the help the Aggie family provides!!
BiochemAg97
AG
When you get down here, connect with the WilCo A&M club. They have events to get together with other Aggies every Thursday.

1st Thursday is breakfast tacos at Rudy's in Round Rock
2nd Thursday is dinner at Double Daves in Cedar Park & Round Rock, with the possible additions of the new Georgetown and Hutto locations
3rd Thursday is lunch which moves around the county to a different location each month
4th Thursday is happy hour which also moves around like the lunch.
RentsysAg
AG
For real estate I recommend Russ Phillips https://russ-phillips.com/

He knows Wilco, especially the Georgetown area like the back of his hand. He's located right off the square.
trouble
AG
Noooooooooooooo! We're full!

Just kidding. I've been here 13 years and it's a great place to live. Now that I'm not working in healthcare, I only notice the olds if I try to shop at the HEB on Williams.
Blahhead
Pacing The Cage said:

That's simply untrue. Lived there 30 years and much of what made G'town special died with Sun City. I'm 62 so I'm old and can say such things

Seriously, it's not just the taxes. It's all of politics and business planning for G'town. They effectively run the town because they vote.

They can and will vote for any bond issue that suits them because much of the time it does not impact their taxes. Particularly property taxes.

It's a great town but SC is a big factor that can be good or bad depending on who's ox is being gored.

Would you rather these olds vote or the fruits from Austin vote for crap? Pick your poison.

Welcome to the area. You're going to have a blast.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.