Austin
Sponsored by

Talk to me about Jester neighborhood

3,026 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chet98
chet98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at purchasing a home in Jester. We're currently in Crestview and have been since 2001. Looking for a little bigger house & pool and may have found it. However I don't know much about Jester.

Things I'm curious about are the mundane details of life:

Where do people grocery shop?

Other shopping like Lowe's / Home Depot? Banks nearby?

Restaurants that are close-ish especially any take out places?

Are there a ton of deer that eat all of your landscaping and leave presents in your yard?

What cable & internet companies serve the area?

Anything else that might be helpful?

Thanks in advance!
CapCity12thMan
AG
I know a few families that live in Jester...here is what I can provide:

1) grocery shopping options...HEB Four Points (222 and 620) or HEB Far West. Not too terribly convenient either way. There is a Target in Four Points, and then HD a bit further up 620. I worked at RiverPlace from 2001-2007 and Four Points went from literally nothing but that HEB, a 7-Eleven and that little BBQ stand to complete over-build out with now really horrible traffic.

2) Restaurants - there is some new stuff up on 620, and then you can always go down 620 into Lakeway. Four Points has some stuff too, and then some stuff in NW Hills on other side of 360. Nothing within 5-10 mins, which personally would drive me nuts.

3) I don't know about deer, but I have heard (cannot confirm) recently the wild hogs are a problem.

4) I have also heard (cannot confirm) they just put in speed bumps along Jester which nobody likes. I guess one argument against them is in the event of a fire emergency, it would slow down evacuations since there are limited ways out of the neighborhood.

5) Have heard good things about their pool.

6) I haven't been to a bank in years so I can't really speak to that.

7) Last year at the bottom of Jester Hill, this happened: http://kxan.com/2016/02/26/truck-carrying-gravel-flies-off-fm-2222-after-crash/ with all the remodeling these days, I know residents have some concerns about this very scenario (hence the speed bumps), but to me this is just not something to base a decision on, IMHO.

we have families that live in Jester that go to the same school as us, so this is my source of info...HTH

chet98
AG
Great info. Hadn't thought about hogs up there and didn't see any evidence driving around yesterday. The restaurant thing is tough for me too. We can practically walk to the TacoDeli on Burnet Rd right now. And horrible traffic in 4 Points sounds horrible. I haven't spent much time in that area in about 10 years (used to have a buddy in Steiner but they moved). I imagine we'd drive to the Arboretum & Domain more than 4 Points.
Aggietaco
AG
I think your answers above are pretty spot-on. I had a contract on a place in Lakewood at the base of Jester off of 360 about 9 years ago that I still regret not buying. 4 Points is a butt whip, but if you use that HEB and Target, at least you don't have to worry about the intersection. I would happily wait at that light to cross the street to the Boat House Grill and get some horribly unhealthy greasy food though. The Arboretum is close enough to be your main source for restaurants and then the domain isn't much further from you, though not exactly close.

The speed pillow item showed up on our Next Door forum in Balcones Woods for some reason. Apparently they were installed as the request of a minority group of homeowners without input from the neighborhood as a whole. They are the type with spacing large enough for emergency vehicles to pass through.
Potcake
AG
OP, Ski Shores would be 15 minute drive but other than that, I could never deal with 4 Points on a daily basis. It's as bad as Oak Hill.
Lynch
I have 4.5 acres in jester, I've had more issues with mountain bikers than hogs and deer.

I grocery shop at wheatsville off south Lamar on Sunday and haven't seen anything about speed bumps.

There are quite a few ags that live here. I've been here about 4 years so if you have any questions let me know.
zooguy96
I worked in the area at the preserve, and would never do that traffic again. Getting anywhere took too long.
fig96
AG
Could someone define the area we're discussing here? Did some googling but I'm not quite sure I'm thinking the right spot.
Aggietaco
AG
Northwest or North corner of the 2222 and 360 intersection, above/behind the Gables apartment complex.
fig96
AG
Gotcha, thanks. I actually lived just south of there last year, rented right off 360 just south of Pennybacker Bridge.

It was a bit of a pain as there's not a lot in the immediate area, but traffic wasn't that bad for my work commute to 183 and Braker. If you don't mind driving just a few miles there's some decent spots to eat in Westlake and Great Hills/Arboretum, also a few places just across 360 at Davenport Village

We grocery shopped at HEB in Westlake which isn't that far, and there's also now some decent coffee at 2222 and Jester along with a few spots to eat.
chet98
AG
Thanks all. Get insights. Offer is in on the house and we should hear today one way or the other.
chet98
AG
Looking at google maps it looks like you can sneak into the HEB parking lot from the Target parking lot at 4 Points and avoid the light at 2222 & 620. Is that what you're referring to? Am I seeing that correctly?
Aggietaco
AG
chet98 said:

Looking at google maps it looks like you can sneak into the HEB parking lot from the Target parking lot at 4 Points and avoid the light at 2222 & 620. Is that what you're referring to? Am I seeing that correctly?
Correct. It's been a while since I lived at the condos directly across from Target on 2222, but if you can't get to HEB from the Target lot, there is an entrance to HEB just past or just before one of the banks on 2222.
chet98
AG
Offer wasn't accepted. Was told it was close but no cigar. We'll be the backup plan and keep looking. But this house along with y'alls responses have made me think Jester is definitely an option somewhere down the road. Thanks!
Aggietaco
AG
Keep and eye on Lakewood too.
Potcake
AG
chet,
Is adding on to current house and installing a pool even an option? We're in Brentwood and love the area and more restaurants/bars are coming in. Seems like Brentwood/Crestview/Wooten/Highlands is becoming more and more popular.
SpiderD02
AG
Sorry to hear about the house. But for future or others.
I have lived here for a little over 3 years towards the back of the subdivision. My wife and three kids love it here.
The speed bumps are a non issue to me, the speed limit is 30 and I don't slow down in my truck. I am annoyed they are there but not enough to move or keep from moving here.
You can access from either 2222 off Jester Blvd or through Lakewood off 360. Traffic on 2222 towards 620 does start backing up at about 4:00 but it mainly is the left lanes going to Steiner or further. I can hit the HEB and be back in 30 mins if no traffic. There is a store at the bottom of the hill that has necessities if you don't want to drive.
Wife works at St. Davids and the afternoon or mornings can take close to 30 mins depending when you leave. The elementary school is Hill which is about a 15 min drive during traffic.
Mostly younger families and older empty nesters. I personally think it is close to everything, 183/Mopac shopping, Westlake, Lake Travis, but I grew up around Houston and don't think too much about driving a hour plus to eat or see a movie. Pool is great and park is awesome and always naturally shaded. You are isolated a bit but I kind of like the only people up here either live here or are working here trash, lawn, mail etc. Nice is quite.
chet98
AG
We added on about three years ago. Our current house was built in 1952, added onto in 1999 by previous owner and then we added on and blew out the kitchen & master bath in 2014. Also added a powder room, second living area, true pantry and true laundry room. So we're a 3 br 2 1/2 bath with 2 living at about 2100 s.f. No garage but a shed in the back. Overall the house is great and we also love the area. We're in very close proximity to Little Deli and eat there probably 2-3 times per month (lately).

All that said we do not love some of what is being built around us...some of the builders do an OK job but some of the new construction is pretty bad IMO. And the trend of A & B units on a lot really bothers me. While there are a ton of new restaurants traffic on Burnet Rd has also gone nuts. But you take the good with the bad there.

Really the main impetus for moving is a larger house. And a pool would be nice. All of the extended family is out of town and being able to have cousins etc over for Thanksgiving and Xmas would be nice. As it is everyone is on top of each other when in town. Mother-in-law retired to Georgia so having the ability for her to come for an extended period of time would be good too (like several weeks without us wanting to murder her).

So we're really looking for a 4+ br 3+ bath with a pool not too far out. Jester is nice b/c not too far out and considerably cheaper than like a NW Hills or probably even a Great Hills. Anderson HS is a plus but McCallum would likely be fine too.

So the search continues.
Potcake
AG
I hear you on the proliferation of giant A&B builds.
fig96
AG
SpiderD02 said:

I personally think it is close to everything, 183/Mopac shopping, Westlake, Lake Travis, but I grew up around Houston and don't think too much about driving a hour plus to eat or see a movie.
Totally relate, my wife and I both grew up in Houston and have been in Austin about two years now. When she says something is "far" I'll ask "is it far or Austin far?"
chet98
AG
Give it a few more years. Wife and I are from Houston and been in Austin since 2001. When we go back to Houston we feel like rubes driving in from the sticks. Soooooo big compared to here! And people drive soooooo fast. When we moved here we were frustrated with the slow driving on MoPac and always said these people would die by the thousands driving in Houston on 10 and 610!
SpiderD02
AG
chet98 said:

Give it a few more years. Wife and I are from Houston and been in Austin since 2001. When we go back to Houston we feel like rubes driving in from the sticks. Soooooo big compared to here! And people drive soooooo fast. When we moved here we were frustrated with the slow driving on MoPac and always said these people would die by the thousands driving in Houston on 10 and 610!
I have the exact same thoughts. Go back to Houston for work sometimes and it "scares" me to drive in the big city. I still don't have the patience to drive slow and don't understand driving 5-10 mph under with 5 car lengths between you and the next guy.
fig96
AG
Haha, I definitely have to temper my driving style here
Aggietaco
AG
Not as much to choose from, but you may try looking in Balcones Woods as well. There are some 4/3's that pop up from time to time and I like this area better than Jester as far as convenience and access are concerned. Plus, if you inflict physical damage to your MIL, Seton is within limping distance.
fig96
AG
Slightly bigger picture question, what are we looking at for ballpark housing prices in the neighborhoods being discussed?
chet98
AG
So the Jester house I was looking at was listed at $650k for a 4br 2 1/2 bath, two story on a cul de sac with a pretty amazing backyard and pool. 2,800 sf on a third of an acre lot. Built in 1983.

Similar stats in Crestview & Allandale new construction is typically more like $800-900k
Ashley96
AG
Was it 6906 Agave Cv? If so, my parents used to rent the upstairs of that house from the owners. It's a nice property!
fig96
AG
Gotcha, thanks. Bit out of our current price range but looks like a really nice area.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I used to live in Houston, in the galleria area or just west of it. I used to commute to Kingswood for a project. Looking back on it the mileage didn't bother me nor did the time, but that kind of stuff here does to the limit I have for patience. What I think I figured out was, back in Houston I was single and had a job up in Kingwood so I had nothing to get back home to (wife, kids, homework, school events), so it;s not so much the distance but the time involved. If It was just me alone, I would live anywhere in Austin
chet98
AG
7001 Anaqua
RebelAG
RebelAG
AG
Wife and I have lived here in Jester for 27 yrs, and have loved it the first 15 years. We are on Nutmeg Cove just across from the Tennis courts and the nice Swimming Pool. There aren't any good restaurants within 10 minutes, but there is a sports bar at the bottom of Jester Blvd (The Scoreboard) that has some good dishes. I have just retired, and am looking into moving either to Cedar Park (NW of Austin) or to College Station. Sick and tired of living in a Nanny State city run by some way too liberal morons, with property taxes that are rising too fast, and public schools are mediocre or worse. They put two speed bumps on a 60 foot wide Jester Blvd that really pissed me off (no warning, and indifferent to our petition to protest and remove them). Good neighborhood for families with small kids and retirees. I'll let this board know when we put our house on the market.
chet98
AG
Back in the Jester game. Offer in and should hear today. This house would need some (a lot) of updating but all cosmetic. Most looks original to the 1998 build so showing its age plus not really our style. But livable and could be updated in waves.

Fingers crossed!
chet98
AG
Well fudge me. That was quick. Went in at listed price, raised and finally got out bid. Argh!
Lynch
Keep at it! It took me awhile to get into jester.

And the neighborhood busybodies are trying to get more speed bumps installed. You know because people like to speed up a 10% incline into a neighborhood!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.