Austin
Sponsored by

Someone please explain Wimberly, Tx

1,597 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rather be fishing
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I were driving back from Perdenalus Falls today and drove through Wimberly...where does all of the money come from!?!

There are TONS of huge ranches, with amazing views along FM12. None of these appear to productive ranches to be able to rain the money to afford that view. Then you get into town, the entire town looks brand new. Everywhere you look is newer buildings, refurbished old buildings a brand new HEB, a new Amazing looking stone crested Elementary school etc.

I just don't understand the spectacular development etc, the money has to come from somewhere? Is it just an uber-rich "small town suburb" of Austin or what?
tamutaylor12
A lot of people that made their money elsewhere move out there. Quite a few retirees.
texancanuck11
Everything looks brand new because it is. Wimberley flooded multiple times in the last few years so most people had to rebuild. I know a lot of insurance money paid out there, which probably helped clean up/rejuvenate the downtown area.
Potcake
AG
That is not correct. The flood damage was along the river.
texancanuck11
There were two floods. One on the Blanco river flood plain, one on the Cypress creek flood plain. They weren't both at the same time, but were within a year of each other.
AggieBob08
AG
2nd homes and also I know people that live there and work in Austin.
Potcake
AG
AggieBob08 said:

2nd homes and also I know people that live there and work in Austin.

Wife and I did the Wimberley-Austin commute for 11 years. It was nice there but the drive got progressively worse.
coupland boy
AG
I think it's also kind of hard to predict which town will be the next tourist (shopping) destination.

Can anyone explain Salado to me?
SteveBott
AG
Carbon copy of Wimberly. Growing artsie downtown
Potcake
AG
coupland boy said:

I think it's also kind of hard to predict which town will be the next tourist (shopping) destination.

Salado used to be a weekend destination in the 70's-80's. Our family would drive down from Fort Worth to stay at the Stagecoach Inn. It had alot of amenities for kids. There were little shops along the creek. The I-35 construction did a pretty good hit job on it though. Maybe it's coming back?
rather be fishing
AG
coupland boy said:

I don't care much for Salado but all the rich white women from Dallas love it. Seems like the Village has a vote every couple of years to disband the local government if that tells you anything.

I love the creek and the history but I wouldn't live there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.