Austin
Sponsored by

Best Areas to Stay in Austin?

2,099 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rather be fishing
SkiMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I haven't been to Austin in about 8 years. I know a lot has changed. Flying down for a wedding and want to stay in a cool area. Any good suggestions? Looking to stay in or around the downtown area.

Also, what is the best BBQ place around the downtown area?

Any other suggestions of places to eat or see (bringing someone so I want to show them some cool stuff) are appreciated.

Thanks!
voorheesdn
AG
Driskall is always a great choice and very central for staying downtown, JW Marriott is brand new and have heard good things...farther west is The W.

BBQ - Make the trip to Stiles Switch...owned by an Aggie and delicious(show your ring or A&M fear for free coozie). If you want to stand in line Franklin is well worth the 3 hour wait.
AggieOO
for BBQ and not waiting at Franklin's, I'd hit Mickelthwait or La BBQ.
Furlock Bones
AG
I'd stay at Hotel Van Zandt for sure. Best hotel in Austin right now.
Potcake
AG
AggieOO said:

+1
Saturday, we drove by the refugee camp at Franklins and got to Micklethwait at 10:30. Drank the free Austin Beerworks and got in line at 10:50. Eating by 11:10. Very good food.
SkiMo
AG
Hotel Van Zandt looks nice. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just read about Rainey St. I'm sure there are different opinions on it but for out of towners it looks like a cool area to stay.
AggieOO
Potcake said:

AggieOO said:

+1
Saturday, we drove by the refugee camp at Franklins and got to Micklethwait at 10:30. Drank the free Austin Beerworks and got in line at 10:50. Eating by 11:10. Very good food.
and if you hit Mickelthwait, do NOT pass on the jalapeno cheese grits. And this is from a guy who normally orders no sides at BBQ places.
Furlock Bones
AG
Definitely eat at Geraldine's one night. It's great.
MaroonStain
AG
Quote:

refugee camp at Franklin's

Potcake
AG
Drive by it
Aggietaco
AG
I vote for one of the South Congress hotels, like the San Jose. More Austin-y than the fustercluck Rainey area but you do have to take an uber or a bike to get downtown.
txjortsagent
AG
Stay at the W.

Eat at Lambert's...walking distance.

Profit.
Bunk Moreland
Agree with W and Lamberts. Also Bob's Steakhouse is right around the corner for dinner. Lavaca St is a great bar down there as well as the Ginger Man... Gus's world famous fried chicken isn't far and is a must if you've never eaten at one of those.

2nd bar & kitchen if you have females who feel like they need a bit more posh place to grab food and drink during the day.
petey88

I go to The Moody Theater pretty often, either stay at the W or The Radisson. Depends if I want to walk a few blocks farther. Park car, have fun, get in car & go home when finshed.

Four Seasons south of the river is good also.

kwammer
Definitely Van Zandt. Rainey is a lot of fun. Skip Lambert's. It's good but it's not Central Texas bbq and not remotely in the ballpark of a Franklin's, La BBQ, etc.

And the Four Seasons(which is a great hotel) is not south of the river. It's on the north side.
SkiMo
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead and booked at Van Zandt. Looks trendy and is close to a lot of things, walking or ubering.

So I'm probably gonna skip Franklins. If I lived there I would probably wait for hours to try it but given the short time frame, I don't want to spend it waiting in line for hours to eat. With that said, second best is? Mickelthwait or La BBQ?
voorheesdn
AG
Micklethwait or LA BBQ are both great. Can't go wrong with either. Look up La BBQ on social media as they just made a move to a brick and mortar and may be closed for a day or two. Not sure when
Aggietaco
AG
aggdave said:

Micklethwait or LA BBQ are both great. Can't go wrong with either. Look up La BBQ on social media as they just made a move to a brick and mortar and may be closed for a day or two. Not sure when
I'm pretty sure they aren't moving until August.
rather be fishing
AG
I'd do Freedman's over Lambert's, just a little farther from the Driskill.
Furlock Bones
AG
Good choice ski.
rather be fishing
AG
SkiMo said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead and booked at Van Zandt. Looks trendy and is close to a lot of things, walking or ubering.

So I'm probably gonna skip Franklins. If I lived there I would probably wait for hours to try it but given the short time frame, I don't want to spend it waiting in line for hours to eat. With that said, second best is? Mickelthwait or La BBQ?
If you're just considering those 2, I'd say Mickelthwait. I think their bbq is better.

I'd also consider Stile's Switch (Aggie owned) and Freedman's though. I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes at Stile's Switch. Freedman's is a good dinner spot, just get a reservation and save yourself the wait.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.