Austin
Sponsored by

Qualtech on 620

2,275 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jah003
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Pains me to do this... But do not, under any circumstances, take your car there. We've been taking our cars there for 4 years now, but this is inexcusable...

Took my truck in for a routine oil change, rotation and balance, and inspection. Picked it up and drove off on 620. As soon as I got up to speed I felt a wobble from the front drivers side tire. Thought maybe I had a flat and pulled in to the HEB on Anderson Mill. As soon as I pulled in the entire freaking wheel fell off and rolled across the parking lot. Really glad I decided to pull over... If I had been doing 60 MPH on 620 there is no telling what would have happened... Guessing someone forgot to tighten the lug nuts (or even put some of them on... We found 3).
AggieOO
How many new ace holes does the manager now have?
jah003
S
AggieOO said:

How many new ace holes does the manager now have?
Many... The initial phone call after the wheel fell off was the worst. I was pretty calm by the time I went back to the shop.
docb
AG
Yea that really sucks. I always worry about stuff like that. Seem to me that there are a lot of shops that will hire anybody for those jobs. I know I've found the dipstick laying on the engine twice after having my oil changed. Hope it didn't do too much damage.
jah003
S
bookmyer said:

Yea that really sucks. I always worry about stuff like that. Seem to me that there are a lot of shops that will hire anybody for those jobs. I know I've found the dipstick laying on the engine twice after having my oil changed. Hope it didn't do too much damage.
Same thing happened to my wife's car a couple of times (oil cap not put back on, wrong lug nut put on, etc.). Decided to give Qualtech one more shot... Bad idea. Entire front fender is toast as well as some damage to the hood.
always gig em
AG
Wow will make sure to never go there.

tamutaylor12
When I was driving for uber a couple of weeks ago I had a passenger going to a rental car place because the same thing happened. A pep boys didn't tighten the lugs and the tire went rolling down Lamar. Luck it didn't kill a pedestrian.
aTm papi
Are you going to get a lawyer! What did the management say?
jah003
S
aTm papi said:

Are you going to get a lawyer! What did the management say?
Nah... I ain't got time for that. Qualtech is covering repairs and body work (as they should) as well as my rental. As long as everything is repaired correctly I'm fine. However, they've lost my business as well as the business of anyone I talk to.

Management hasn't said much... I just kept repeating "This can't ****ing happen" and he just kept repeating "I know".
Aust Ag
AG
Wonder how hard it is to hire quality mechanics these days? I mean, do YOU know anybody that has went into auto mechanics (recently) or is wanting to? I can't imagine my son or any of his 15-16 old friends saying, "I want to work on cars for a living". When I was that age, I knew a few guys who did, Dad ran a shop, Hot Rod gearheads, etc.

I think the time is coming, or is already here, where the blue collar jobs pay as much or more than the white collar. Guys that can fix your car or your AC are more at a premium than ever it seems.
jah003
S
The saga continues... Went to pick up the truck today. This is the "new" wheel they put on...
These are my original wheels...
Dude openly admitted to pulling the wheel out of a junkyard... My response "Did I bring you the truck with junkyard wheels?"

I went ahead and brought the truck home because I'm getting it inspected by the dealership tomorrow... We shall see how the inspection goes.
petey88
Aust Ag said:

Wonder how hard it is to hire quality mechanics these days? I mean, do YOU know anybody that has went into auto mechanics (recently) or is wanting to? I can't imagine my son or any of his 15-16 old friends saying, "I want to work on cars for a living". When I was that age, I knew a few guys who did, Dad ran a shop, Hot Rod gearheads, etc.

I think the time is coming, or is already here, where the blue collar jobs pay as much or more than the white collar. Guys that can fix your car or your AC are more at a premium than ever it seems.

My best friend sent his son to a mechanics school in Houston after high school. He wanted to make a career of it, as Dad had purchased a 60's Mustang and they rebuilt it.

The son got a dealer job making $50K at age 19. Now mid 20's, he owns his own business, delivery service with large truck, boat and home paid for.

Young man is making a fortune and we are all very proud of him.
hammerhead
Had this happen to me in a '76 Grand Prix, back in 1982'ish...that car was as long as a train. Actually had new tires put on...was rolling at about 75 on Hwy 77, at dusk and felt a wobble in the back left...then back end hit the pavement and the back left tire went passed me. Luckily no one was coming in the opposite direction.

The frame was bent to hell and they totaled the car.

Got lucky.
Blahhead
Well, give us an update.
jah003
S
Inspection went well... Everything was done well mechanically. Made them order me a new wheel and I'm getting it put on when we get back from vacation. They made everything right... However I still won't be taking my cars back there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.