Austin
Sponsored by

Contractor recs (bathroom remodel, porch expansion)

2,055 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coyote68
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for recommendations on contractors to remodel both of our bathrooms and then in the fall, pull up or conglomerate patio slab, replace with larger concrete slab and build a pergola. Located near 183/Burnet.

TIA.
txjortsagent
AG
Tom Luth
512-748-8800
rather be fishing
AG

I'll give him a call, thanks.
rather be fishing
AG
I'll give him a call, thanks.
rather be fishing
AG
Jorts, I'm questioning your reasoning.

He was too busy to come give me a quote (not an issue) but said he would call a guy and see if he was interested in the job. Told me this guy is "rough around the edges" and I could decide if he was a good fit for me. Said something about I would understand if I lived on the east coast.

No idea.
txjortsagent
AG
Tom coordinates everything I've ever needed. Did you tell him Damon sent you?
rather be fishing
AG
I didn't. I'll tell him when I talk to him again.
who?mikejones
AG
Do you have plans?
rather be fishing
AG
I assume you're asking for the patio part? No we don't have plans yet.
who?mikejones
AG
I work for a custom home builder here in town. We also do a lot of remodels. We are all Aggies as well.

I'd be happy to take a look the job. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

Got it. Thanks
rather be fishing
AG
Email sent.
CapCity12thMan
AG
look into Southern Outdoor Appeal: https://www.southernoutdoorappeal.com/ We are about to sign with them on a back deck/covered patio project. Matt and his wife have been very simple to work with and have also been the most economical compared to other bids.

As far as your bathroom - lookup Convict Hill Floorcovering. Ask for Christian Gribble - she is an Aggie. The name of her business is a bit misleading but she does remodels too. She will not be the cheapest, but rest assured things will be done right and on time.

I will take this opportunity also to tell you to NOT use Blue Diamond Remodeling.
PabloSerna
AG
Howdy Ags!

I am the Design Lead here at Tier 1 Group LLC. We do full service design and build on all types of residential projects (custom build and remodeling). Check us out - lots of awards and great service to boot! I suggest you interview more than one builder/designer. Go to our website and fill out a new client information form - we will be in contact asap.

I recently joined Tier 1, after having my personal design practice for more than 15 years. Bill, the owner here, is wonderful Christian man and a real professional. We have a great team.

+Pablo

T1Build.com
vic99
AG
Pablo! I just submitted an inquiry. Hope to get someone out this week if possible.
Thanks!
Just realized you guys are in Leander. I'm really close; off New Hope behind Cedar Park Hospital.
CapCity12thMan
AG
as part of my backyard patio/deck project, I asked Tier1 to give me a bid. I met with Bill and one other person (started with a K I believe)...I later received an email from Kelsey about a $1500 retainer fee in order to get a design proposal and a price range estimate from them.

What I can't wrap my head around is paying $1500 just to get a price estimate. Everybody else I have asked to look at this project has given me a cost estimate as part of the process, before asking for any money. I can't rationalize spending $1500 just to find out the price of something. I found this to be a very odd process.

vic99
AG
Good to know! That will not bode well for them against the quotes I have already received.
rather be fishing
AG
If that retainer is accurate, I wouldn't even consider calling them.
CapCity12thMan
AG
maybe I misunderstood what they are telling me, but I was given the following explanation:

Quote:

To: CapCity12thMan
Cc: 'Kelsey McHugh' <Kelsey@t1build.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:56 AM
Subject: RE: Tier1 Group- Pre-Construction Design Agreement

We will use the plans to cost materials and provide an investment range for you. The plan will also be submitted to the HOA for approval.

Regards
Bill

Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 5:09 PM
To: Kelsey McHugh <Kelsey@t1build.com>
Cc: 'Bill McHugh' <Bill@T1Build.com>
Subject: Re: Tier1 Group- Pre-Construction Design Agreement

ok, essentially $1500 for all design work, and with that is when I know how much the total project costs...correct?

To: CapCity12thMan
Cc: 'Bill McHugh' <Bill@T1Build.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:58 PM
Subject: RE: Tier1 Group- Pre-Construction Design Agreement

Nathan,
The retainer is part of the total fee for phase 1 of design. So, the retainer due upon acceptance is $1,000. Upon completion of Phase 1 deliverables, the remaining balance of $520.00 will be due. Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Kelsey

Here is what the contract I was given states about Phase 1 deliverables:

Quote:

PHASE I - DELIVERABLES Site Assessment /As-Built Drawings /Photographic Survey Code Review Analysis /Completed Design Survey Forms Conceptual Floor Plans (limited to 2 distinct schemes, additional time can be purchased) Conceptual Elevations / 3D modeling of proposed design (non-photorealistic) Outline of basic material Finishes, Fixtures, and Equipment (FF&E) descriptions Initial Project Investment Range and a probable Project Delivery Schedule Design Fee for Phase II services (as a proposed amendment to this agreement)
Note that one deliverable of this is the 'Initial Project Investment Range'

Quote:

The basis for compensation of Phase I only, shall be a lump sum fee not to exceed $1,520.00 for the delivery of the services outlined in that section. A non-refundable retainer fee of $1,000.00 will be required to begin any design services.

...so I have to pay $1500 just to get an initial design and a price RANGE...

rather be fishing
AG
I think it makes more sense if you're having to deal with Austin code permitting. That's a big endeavor to get things approved because Austin likes to make things as difficult and expensive as possible.

Fortunately, none of the work we're looking to have done should require any kind of permitting.
CapCity12thMan
AG
we are not in City of Austin and do not require permits

AggieStout
AG
I am interested in how this turns out for yall and who you choose. I will be in a similar boat in about a year or two
Papa_Blaze
AG
Interested as well. I'm in Liberty Hill and will want some similar work done to our place pretty soon (Concrete patio)
CapCity12thMan
AG
If you are looking for good patio work I would highly recommend http://txmasonman.com/

We did a 400+ sq ft stone patio at our last house and it was awesome and we had no issues working with them. Jaye I believe is a 2nd or 3rd generation mason.

coyote68
Get your own plans drawn and get bids based on your plans, if you are relying on contractors to design and build, you are paying a premium. Those contractors love people like you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.