Austin
Sponsored by

Hamilton Pool Preserve?

1,476 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TyHolden
Rusty Aha
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone frequent this place? It looks nice, but I have heard you need to make reservations in advance? Given that it's part of the Travis County Parks System, guessing it's relatively family friendly? (hopefully).
ATXAdvisor
AG
Very nice and unique Hill Country swimming hole, but it is very crowded in the summer. Reservations a must, and get there early. Also one additional tip, it is further across than it looks.
GSPag`
Be there when they open to avoid the crowded shores later on.

It is a great place I took my children to for several years. When it would start to get too crowded we would leave. And there would be people in line waiting to get in.

Also it is a long and sometimes difficult walk to the pool. So wear good shoes for the terrain.
Rusty Aha
AG
Thank you.
AggieOO
the reservation system is actually a good thing. you are guaranteed to get in instead of showing up and waiting for people to leave. bring cash to pay the entry fee.

there will be people there drinking, but its mostly family friendly.
tamc91
AG
As Renegade said, it is farther across than it looks and is pretty deep on average. If the kids aren't strong swimmers be sure to take fliats ir life jackets. A few people have drowned in the past 5 years.

It is family friendly, but as with other Austin sites be sure the kids know they may see some new and interesting things. A few years ago I was out there with my kids (teen and pre-teen). There was a tall former male that appeared to be halfway through a sex change in a tight bikini. I think it took my son a while after a few conversations to figure that out. Noone was doing anything inappropriate, and that is part of life these days, especially in Austin.
Drip99
AG
If too crowded hit reimers ranch next door for hiking, fishing and swimming in the pedernales. We live in dripping and no longer mess with Hamilton pool.
txjortsagent
AG
There are tons of these spots in the area. They made a Texas Monthly article about our swimming holes some years back that was pretty good. May be a book somewhere too.
txjortsagent
AG
http://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/nineteen-texas-swimming-spots/
MouthBQ98
AG
My dad used to jump off the cliffs Above the pool when he was a teenager. They don't allow that now.
TyHolden
AG
Krause Springs ftw
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.