Austin
Sponsored by

Considering Relocation to Austin

4,068 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Scott95
Ag In Ok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an opportunity to relocate to Austin, working in the downtown area and need some insight to where to live. Specifically thoughts on living well east and commuting in - Bastrop / Taylor / Lockhart. We need space and are willing to drive a little further to avoid tight neighborhoods. Thoughts?
ellebee
Map app says both Lockhart and bastrop to downtown is 43-44 minutes currently. I don't see how that's possible, but that's what it says. Have a feeling it will be longer if you need to be at work by 8.
Ag In Ok
AG
i will roll in around 715 or 730 typically.
Potcake
AG
I don't understand why the MSM doesn't cover this major story. Austin is closed for the forseeable future. Houston is an up and coming little burg, check it out.

ellebee
Ag In Ok said:

i will roll in around 715 or 730 typically.

I wouldn't think that would be terrible. I get to work about 7-7:15 and it's ok. Any later than that and that's when you start having problems.
Ag In Ok
AG
are these areas in good shape going forward or is the ongoing gentrification pushing people that way?
ellebee
I'm really not sure. I'm in south Austin.
Btron
AG
Ag In Ok said:

are these areas in good shape going forward or is the ongoing gentrification pushing people that way?
Define good shape? I'd say that those areas you mentioned are still on the "very country" and rural side of the scale. But I'm not sure what you'red looking for.
Bitter Old Man
AG
City of Lockhart to Downtown Austin can be done in about 25 minutes during normal traffic, using the Toll Road.
Ag In Ok
AG
Rural that isn't about to explode or house a landfill
Charpie
AG
Bastrop is bigger than Taylor/Lockhart. If I could choose, I'd choose Bastrop, then Lockhart, then Taylor. That drive on 79 sucks between Taylor and the toll way.
MaroonStain
AG
I hear Manor is a lovely place.
MaroonStain
AG
Kidding...
SteveBott
AG
I'd also consider Liberty Hil which is northwest of Austin and has a toll road ending close to it. Lots of ranchettes around it.
texancanuck11
I live in Lockhart and work in Westlake Hills. I take the toll road every day, and it usually takes about 45-60 minutes each way during traffic. Not sure about downtown, but I would expect it to be about the same.

I'm on the A&M club board in Lockhart, so if you need any info I'd be happy to help or connect you with someone who could.
Martin Cash
AG
Ag In Ok said:

I have an opportunity to relocate to Austin, working in the downtown area and need some insight to where to live. Specifically thoughts on living well east and commuting in - Bastrop / Taylor / Lockhart. We need space and are willing to drive a little further to avoid tight neighborhoods. Thoughts?
Live in Lockhart. Worked on North Lamar for 10 years. It took 45 minutes to get to work, going in at 7. Took about an hour to get home, leaving at 4:30. If you leave later, it takes considerably longer.
SteveBott
AG
Could you be a little more specific?

Price range?

How many acres?

Life style? Good schools? Minimum retail close by?

Commuting in by 7am does offer some options
Ag In Ok
AG
SteveBott said:

Could you be a little more specific?

Price range?

How many acres? Five on up

Life style? Rural.
Good schools? N/A we homeschool. Minimum retail close by? Willing to drive an hour or so on the weekend for Costco. Other than an heb we don't need much

Commuting in by 7am does offer some options
Ag In Ok
AG
Was that fairly recent? I prefer to get to work before my staff makes it in - however leaving before they do....
AggieBob08
AG
If you can swing it 5 acres southwest of austin will be much nicer, for you commute and the hill country. If no I would go liberty Hill. 5 acres still isn't outrageous and there is much more infrastructure built up.
Mookie
AG
If you live in liberty hill/Leander/cedar park, you also have the train option if you work downtown.
wadd96
AG
Austin is full. Go back to OK.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
ellebee
There's a poster whose mom has a nice house for sale in liberty hill if you go that route.
Martin Cash
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Was that fairly recent? I prefer to get to work before my staff makes it in - however leaving before they do....
Retired from that job a year ago today!
Aggielandma12
AG
SteveBott
AG
That is a terrible commute to downtown. 290 has a dozen lights and then you have to go through the Y at Oak Hill.

Minimum 1.5 hour one way
CapCity12thMan
AG
please refer to this when making your decision:

Potcake
AG
Lesbian furniture here
rather be fishing
AG
DANK!
Charpie
AG
Who cares
Ag In Ok
AG
I'm feeling somewhere in the poverty, nothing and cow people range. It's nothing against the others, though I have more in common with these theee groups.
Where are the Californians at?
rather be fishing
AG
Charpie said:

Who cares

Sounds like a WillCo response to me.
ellebee
Ag In Ok said:

I'm feeling somewhere in the poverty, nothing and cow people range. It's nothing against the others, though I have more in common with these theee groups.
Where are the Californians at?

FUGGIN EVERWHERE
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Nothing is nothing because it's industrial parks. Cow people should be E. Mexico.
Looks like poverty for you, welcome to Austin.
Charpie
AG
On the county line. Still Travis, but WilCo is across the street
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.