Austin
Sponsored by

Olympic Heights

1,891 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ATX_AG_08
Iamsocool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally returning to Texas, and am moving into Olympic Heights. Any Ags ever lived here or know anything about the area? Crime? How bad is the drive downtown?

Thanks.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Live there now. Don't drive downtown but it won't be quick during rush hour
KT 90
AG
Iamsocool said:

Finally returning to Texas, and am moving into Olympic Heights. Any Ags ever lived here or know anything about the area? Crime? How bad is the drive downtown?

Thanks.

I live just to the west in the Shady Hollow area. Overall it's a good area, but traffic is a mess due mainly to the Hays County sprawl that adds to the daily commute. Hopefully the new SW45 will be up and running in a year or two and it'll help out some. I haven't worked downtown in 15 years or so, but even then the drive wasn't fun, definitely not now. Best thing you can do is leave early, so if you can swing it with your employer, arrange an early start time for your work day and just get up and leave early for work.

You'll be heading up Manchaca (better for you than Brodie). Then I guess it depends where you work in downtown as to whether you take Mopac or 35 to get there. I think some try driving up Congress or Lamar, but the stoplights and buses would seem like that would be worse.

Can't speak for Olympic Heights specially, but in my neighborhood crime is pretty low. Seems like the homes/cars that do get broken into are the ones on the edges of the neighborhood, near a main road with access to 1626 that will take them to either 35 or some country road.

Good luck with the new job.

Iamsocool
AG
Thanks to both of you. No job yet, but I am actively searching. Wife was offered a position before I was and we jumped on it.

Hopefully our paths will cross in the near future.
Iamsocool
AG
How is the public transit and the park and rides?
KT 90
AG
Iamsocool said:

How is the public transit and the park and rides?

Can't really say other than service seems to be limited in South Austin. You would likely need to drive to a pickup location, I don't think Cap Metro serves your neighborhood area directly. Seems like their routes dwindle once you get south of William Cannon, but look them up online to see the actual routes and pickup locations.

aTm papi
Live in Olympic Heights too! I'd recommend getting the Next Door app. There was talk recently of a burglary on Johnny Weissmuller. We have been here for about 5 years now and our street is pretty quiet. It also helps that we have a sheriff's deputy living close by.
SMidgett87
AG
Welcome to the area. I lived off of Slaughter/Westgate for 20 years. Now I live off of S. 1st, just north of Akins. I have a couple of friends who live in Olympic Heights, and they seem to like it there.

Regarding transit - I can't remember how far south the buses go on Manchaca. I would assume as far south as Slaughter since there are stops on Slaughter. Frankly, I would assume there are some stops on Manchaca south of Slaughter, but I don't know. To the best of my knowledge, the closest Park and Ride to you is in Oak Hill (near William Cannon and 290). Regarding driving to downtown - I've found S. 1st to be a fairly easy drive over the years. It doesn't go *that* fast, but I found it less frustrating than Mopac and 35. In my opinion - always avoid 35. Take Mopac if you need to use the highway from our area. I haven't driven north on Manchaca during rush hour in a long time, but I don't think it would be that tough of a drive to get downtown.

Just my 2 cents.
Iamsocool
AG
Thanks all, just moved in. Great area and I am excited to explore. If any of y'all south Austin folks ever get together for a social hour, please let me know.
aTm papi
What street are you off of?
Iamsocool
AG
Georgia Coleman, you?
aTm papi
Eric Heiden. Welcome!
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Johnny Weissmuller here

It sucks writing that long ass name and spelling it to people on the phone
Iamsocool
AG
ATX_AG_08
AG
I grew up in Shady Hollow and have lived in Olympic Heights, and still live close by.

When I was growing up Olympic Heights was just undeveloped woods we'd go fishing in and take the dogs out. This entire area is home to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.