Austin
Sponsored by

Good places for BBQ & Mexican food

3,526 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gsp_hunt
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Longview today and thought I would stop for a brisket sandwich at Taylor Cafe, just for a change. Anyone been there?

ETA, it was an OK sandwich and a couple dollars cheaper than Mueller's but not comparable at all. TM always includes them among the best so I had to try. The beans were pretty good though.
zooguy96
KT 90 said:

zooguy96 said:

Matts El Rancho is literally the worst mexican food I've ever eaten. And I live in TN, where Mexican food sucks.

Matts has always been more about the atmosphere and the drinks than the food, but come on, it's not the worst. It is decent Tex-Mex, but not the worst unless you are only hanging at 5 star type joints.

I'd call it average Tex-Mex, but it is definitely more of a see and be seen type place, and with drinks of course.

I'm just basing it off of the 4 times I had to go there for work meetings and the food I had. It was beyond horrible. And, since I don't drink, that didn't matter.
agfan1030
If you are ever in Waco....check out Guess Family Barbecue trailer at Bare Arms Brewery. Getting great reviews. Chef used to be bbq chef at Lamberts before going out on his own. Fri/Sat for now and soon to expand his days... Great bbq and great sides.
Wes97
AG
KT 90 said:

Some BBQ news for those in the Georgetown area.

http://dining.blog.austin360.com/2017/04/21/john-mueller-returning-with-new-barbecue-trailer-and-plans-for-restaurant/?ecmp=newspaper_email

They were on a limited menu today because of the festival, but that John Mueller brisket is still the same. When he is on, this is probably my favorite brisket anywhere. And a lot closer to the house being in Georgetown.

Great BBQ And he might throw in an insult for free.
wadd96
AG
What we had sure wasn't "on." Flat, was dry and chewy. Sausage was OK but not to write home about.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Wes97
AG
That's a shame but did you just order a sandwich? That is always going to be drier than normal brisket. It was a limited menu but they gave you regular (none sandwich) brisket if you asked for it. I'd suggest giving it a try again after it officially opens. And try a beef rib if you are hungry.

One thing I have never heard a Mueller brisket called is "dry." Dude is a little crazy maybe but he is still a godfather of BBQ in this area. Any of the BBQ places around this area worth a damn are a branch off of his family BBQ tree (franklins, styles, Louie's, etc...)
wadd96
AG
That was the only option today. But they were cutting for each sandwich.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Wes97
AG
Yeah, I know. I just knew what to ask for. Maybe you didn't look fat enough.
txjortsagent
AG
I don't think that was Wadd's problem
ellebee
My fave is Azul Tequila at Lamar and Ben white in the shopping strip next to target. One side of the menu is interior Mexican and the other is texmex. They have a great breakfast also.
rather be fishing
AG
ellebee said:

My fave is Azul Tequila at Lamar and Ben white in the shopping strip next to target. One side of the menu is interior Mexican and the other is texmex. They have a great breakfast also.

They have another location offer 2222 just west of Balcones. Parking is always terribl .
Potcake
AG
Yea, but the food is good and they have a nice outdoor area.
Billy Foster
AG
Potcake said:

Yea, but the food is good and they have a nice outdoor area.

Shhhhh
Purple Parrot
Leander - Ag
Slicer97
AG
El Borrego de Oro on S. Congress

get the cabrito plate
gsp_hunt
Slicer97 said:

El Borrego de Oro on S. Congress

get the cabrito plate
Get the stewed lamb!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.