Austin
Sponsored by

TxTag: WTF?

3,663 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ELButler95
Blahhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got a new car and haven't gotten around to putting on a new tag. Anyway, I haven't received any bills until Saturday. They sent me some kind of collection notice and it says I owe $385.xx in tolls and $5,000 in fees. What kind of bull**** is this?
txjortsagent
AG
Don't pay it.

They'll send it to a collection agency, and it won't go on your credit.

They'll threaten sending it to the county attorney.

They won't.

If they do, the county attorney will ask you to pay the original toll, and they'll waive the "fees."
Blahhead
Thanks for the info.

On the bottom of the bill, it says that TxDot may prohibit the operation of vehicles if the bill isn't paid. I don't mind paying the original tolls, but I never got a bill until this one. There is no way I am paying them $5K in fees, though.
Charpie
AG
The key word is "may".

They don't.

Also, pick up the phone and offer to pay the tolls. They will take your money and call it a day
Blahhead
Charpie said:

The key word is "may".

They don't.

Also, pick up the phone and offer to pay the tolls. They will take your money and call it a day

I would, but they're not open right now.
Charpie
AG
Well no ***** You don't say?
Potcake
AG
Gettin chippy in here!
Leander - Ag
AG
Wow. Over how long a time period?
AggieStout
AG
I had this happen a few years back. It is a royal pain the as s. I had to talk to the collection people and tell them that I never received the original bill. They then tried to tell me that it wasnt their fault and that my address might not be updated. I reminded them that they had no problem finding the correct address on the collection bill. Had to talk to and tell my story over and over again to 3 different people as they brought me up the management chain. To make it worse it was the week of thanksgiving so very few decision makers were in their office. I ended up paying the original fee.

Dont give up on your side of the story and points. It may take a while to get to someone who can actually do anything but just be patient.
Aggieangler93
AG
Nevermind....I missed that you didn't put your tag on...my situation and advice is not applicable....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
fig96
AG
Charpie said:

The key word is "may".

They don't.

Yup, I've found the toll authority folks to be surprisingly reasonable when you just let them know you made a mistake and need to pay your bill.

As others have asked, I'm curious how long you went without putting on a tag.
Blahhead
fig96 said:

Charpie said:

The key word is "may".

They don't.

Yup, I've found the toll authority folks to be surprisingly reasonable when you just let them know you made a mistake and need to pay your bill.

As others have asked, I'm curious how long you went without putting on a tag.

How did I make a mistake? Just because I have an account doesn't mean I am required to put a tag on my car. You are legally allowed to drive the toll roads without a tag and they are supposed to bill you. They didn't send me a bill, so it's their mistake.

It's probably been two months, but again, that part isn't really relevant.
fig96
AG
You're right, it's not technically a mistake on your end, though there's something to be said for realizing that you'd been racking up tolls and hadn't been billed anything.

Don't know why you didn't receive a bill till now, but seems like a pretty simple solution to just call up and say "You hadn't sent me a bill till now so can I just pay the tolls?" and take care of it.
Blahhead
fig96 said:

You're right, it's not technically a mistake on your end, though there's something to be said for realizing that you'd been racking up tolls and hadn't been billed anything.

Don't know why you didn't receive a bill till now, but seems like a pretty simple solution to just call up and say "You hadn't sent me a bill till now so can I just pay the tolls?" and take care of it.

I've read all of the stories and didn't think anything of it. I thought it would all show up at once, but not with a bunch of fees tacked on. I'll be calling them this afternoon. I hope I can get someone to pick up the phone.

http://kxan.com/2015/02/11/txdot-answers-txtag-questions-in-the-hot-seat/

Quote:

3.5M TxTag transactions not billed on time

AggieStout
AG
I have lived in Austin for 7 years and have driven on 130 a bunch of times and never saw a toll bill. Although now that I have a new vehicle I bet that will change.
Charpie
AG
That's what happened to me. 2 tolls turned into $350 in fees. I called, threatened to call KXAN and paid them $3.00
TxAgg07
AG
Same thing happened to my girlfriend. They hit her with a massive bill. She called and they dropped all the fees.
MouthBQ98
AG
I've heard of lots of cases of TxTag somehow not getting the bill to the recipient until they owed late fees on all the tolls. Seems like they either have an ethics problem, or are grossly incompetent in their billing department at locating their customers.
Cole97
AG
If you call them and tell them you have a new vehicle and hadn't put the tag over, they'll transfer it over to the new car and will erase all the fees/fines and just charge you for the tolls themselves. They'll even send you a new tag if you ask

I did the same thing when I bought a new car it was pretty simple and easy.
ELButler95
AG
Pay the original tolls only, send them a check, then blow them off... After a few years, they may call you and when you explain you refuse to pay the outlandish fees, they will probably just write them off. This happened to my wife a few years ago. If you pay the tolls, they don't have much of a leg to stand on with their crazy fees.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.