Austin
Sponsored by

Property Taxes

7,228 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's that time of the year again.

Our appraised went up $86k. Up 137k since we bought in 2012.
Potcake
AG
60 here
We just need the market to hold on 5-8 years for retirement and we're out of here.
jopatura
AG
Appraised went up $13k. It's gone up $50k since we bought the house in 2014.

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth arguing. I think I can get it down a few thousand, but overall they are pretty spot on. We can still sell for more then the appraised value and could last year too, but some of the houses in the neighborhood didn't go for as much.
chipotle
I'm betting they'll tack on another 10%.
rather be fishing
AG
jopatura said:

Appraised went up $13k. It's gone up $50k since we bought the house in 2014.

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth arguing. I think I can get it down a few thousand, but overall they are pretty spot on. We can still sell for more then the appraised value and could last year too, but some of the houses in the neighborhood didn't go for as much.
It's always worth trying.

We've used a company the last 3 years. As is pretty standard, they charge you 50% of the savings. It's typically worth it for me to not have to take PTO and spend the hours compiling comps.
tamc93
AG
Thanks for posting to let me know they had updated them.

Oddly mine went down slightly even though I lost my appeal last year. Have an appraisal from refinance that is slightly lower so I guess I will fight again.
rather be fishing
AG
Potcake said:

60 here
We just need the market to hold on 5-8 years for retirement and we're out of here.
I want to retire and move to the country so bad. Unfortunately won't happen any time soon.
Wabs
AG
$20K this year. Over $70K last 3 years.

7 years until the youngest graduates high school. Then I'm off to the country somewhere....
Bitter Old Man
AG
Anyone think they will go down as quickly when the market turns?
tamc93
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Never do... the cycle is long, but the demand is still high for residential. I am shocked by some of the values I am actually seeing on the resale market
AggieBob08
AG
Don't bet on the market turning any time soon and ever if it slows only look for it to level out. Even then they will keep increasing property taxes to "catch up"
BQ78
AG
The bums passed out on the sidewalk ODing on K2 thank ya'll.
hammerhead
35K here..so ready for the country but wife wants to keep the house.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I got bumped the full 10% allowable
BwdAg
AG
chipotle
tamc93 said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Never do... the cycle is long, but the demand is still high for residential. I am shocked by some of the values I am actually seeing on the resale market

I wouldn't have to prep my house for sellers. Just put a sign up and it would sell. Mixed blessings I suppose.
HECUBUS
AG
Seven years to jettison our last spawn too. A neighbor down the street just listed a lot for fourty times what they were going for when we got here. Reality is about thirty six and taxes appraisals are currently twenty four times that original price.

The twenty five year view is insane, but we expected it would be.
Hanrahan
AG
mine is up 182k over the last couple years. completely bogus. but i do get letters once a month asking me to sell. too bad we don't plan on going anywhere because we would just have to buy an equally overinflated house somewhere else in town....
voorheesdn
AG
Email me at david@voorheesteam.com. I'd be happy to help provide some comps for you to fight the value.
Bitter Old Man
AG
aggdave said:

Email me at david@voorheesteam.com. I'd be happy to help provide some comps for you to fight the value.
I think this is the problem. The current comps support the county. Which is why the Texas Property Tax System is absurd. To be taxed on your HOME based on what someone ELSE would pay for it (Market Value) is the acme of foolishness. I wish the people of this great state would get their heads out of the sand and demand something better.

I'm up 17% this year, and almost 60% since 2011.

Honestly, being a Non-disclosure state is what keeps us a slave to this system. If we became a disclosure state in exchange for our taxes staying tied to what we paid for the property, then I would be all for it. The Realtor lobby groups fight hard against it, not because they think its right for Texas, but because they don't want to lose control of the Comp information in MLS.
CapCity12thMan
AG
can someone explain the "Land Market" and why it increased in 2017 in the following appraisal:

LeftyHound
AG
Up $30k, and now up $100k total since we built in 2014
zooguy96
One reason we had to leave Austin. Lolpoors can't afford that rate of increase every year.
rather be fishing
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

can someone explain the "Land Market" and why it increased in 2017 in the following appraisal:

It's pretty shocking that it didn't rise in previous years.

This is what mine has done:

2017 - $200,000
2016 - 135,000
2015 - 105,000
2014 - 105,000
2013 - 65,000
2012 - 65,000
Martin Cash
AG
Keeping it Weird is expensive.
CapCity12thMan
AG
its not weird where I live, which is what I like it. I have done a good job (IMHO) of protesting to keep the increases as minimal as I can. They have assessed way high every year and I have gotten that to go down, so hoping for more of the same this year.

AggieBob08
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

aggdave said:

I think this is the problem. The current comps support the county. Which is why the Texas Property Tax System is absurd. To be taxed on your HOME based on what someone ELSE would pay for it (Market Value) is the acme of foolishness. I wish the people of this great state would get their heads out of the sand and demand something better.

Honestly, being a Non-disclosure state is what keeps us a slave to this system. If we became a disclosure state in exchange for our taxes staying tied to what we paid for the property, then I would be all for it. The Realtor lobby groups fight hard against it, not because they think its right for Texas, but because they don't want to lose control of the Comp information in MLS.

People buying houses are in favor of non disclosure too. Ought my place for 200k more than the tax appraisal and the appraisal we got for the bank last was 250k more than the tax appraisal.

Oh and I guarantee the tax authorities get their hands on sold data, despite non disclosure.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
maximum 10% increase for me. dammit, I'll try to protest and see where that lands
johnson2012
AG
Townhouse in 78729 and oddly enough mine dropped $1400 dollars this year in the structure/improvement category. Land stayed the same. Still up roughly 25% from 2012.

I'm happy for the marginal drop in taxes, but I'm a bit perplexed by the decrease in value.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

I thought there was a 10% cap?
voorheesdn
AG
I helped numerous clients last year fight their tax value with actual sold comps and lower their tax value, some got it rolled back to 2015 values or less. If you want to spend the time doing the work it can be done.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Wow just found out my appraisal did not change. I plan to protest anyway. I had an independent appraisal and discovered they have used the wrong square footage for my house for the last 10 years.
rather be fishing
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Wow just found out my appraisal did not change. I plan to protest anyway. I had an independent appraisal and discovered they have used the wrong square footage for my house for the last 10 years.
Just be sure they were using a higher square footage than the actual. Wouldn't want to get stuck paying backed taxes if they realize they weren't charging you enough.
AustinScubaAg
AG
rather be fishing said:

AustinScubaAg said:

Just be sure they were using a higher square footage than the actual. Wouldn't want to get stuck paying backed taxes if they realize they weren't charging you enough.

Yes they have my house as 200 square feet bigger. The appear to have used the same square footage as the model which had an additional bonus room.
JAW3336
AG
10% plus the value of any improvements.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.