Austin
Sponsored by

Where do you like to go camping?

1,980 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Goldie Wilson
Goldie Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for new places to go camping within about an hour or 2 of Austin. I love the local state parks, but just wondering if anybody has other area places they like to go.
el_scorcho
AG
Inks Lake and Buescher are both fairly close and I've enjoyed both.
Jason Ag
AG
Haven't camped there, but McKinney Roughs Nature Park (an LCRA park) is nice and very close.
Dumpster Fire
Camped at Guadalupe River State Park.
MouthBQ98
AG
Of course the state parks, but also:

LCRA parks along the river, and Lake Bastrop are nice. The Army Corps of Engineers parks at Lakes in the area, such as Canyon Lake or Lake Somerville.

Buescher state park is nice and quiet with a fishing lake and good hiking.

There's parks around Lake Georgetown.

There's some nice parks around Granger Lake.

There's some county parks on Canyon lake Luke Potters Creek that are nice, too.
agcrock2005
AG
Love Inks Lake. Haven't been to Colorado Bend yet but have heard it's nice.
Drip99
AG
Canyon on the eagles on buchanon is great.
BwdAg
AG
Colorado bend sp
HECUBUS
AG
We had a place North of "the bend". Camped there often with kids for nine years. Good times. We do go back to Canyon of the Eagles occasionally and used to frequent Colorado Bend State Park. The hike to Gorman Falls and the no longer secret swimming hole are fun. The Spring run of white bass is world class.

[
PabloSerna
AG
Colorado Bend SP.. best camping and hiking within 100 miles of Austin. Hike it to the falls awesome!
TRD-Ferguson
AG
South Llano River State Park is just under 3 hours and worth it. If you're into night photography its a nationally recognized dark sky park.
HECUBUS
AG
Colorado Bend: If you follow Gorman falls to the Colorado river, there is a tiny shallow pool you can find cold water to splash in on a boiling summer day. The kids loved it when they were little.

Goldie Wilson
Colorado Bend is great. I love the campsites there -- very spacious relative to other SPs. And the riverfront sites are great as well.
txjortsagent
AG
I'll only go with Jack Arute
Drip99
AG
Is the Colorado river nice for swimming/floating, etc while camping at Colorado bend sp or is it muddy brown colored?

Goldie Wilson
The only times I've been, the river has been pretty muddy. But there are some really nice swimming holes out there with clear water, so the muddy river wasn't an issue
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.