Austin
Sponsored by

Might be moving to Leander or Georgetown

12,986 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggieangler93
Mr. White
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know next to nothing about both.

What are the towns like? How about the schools? The people?

TIA
oldarmy76
We're good.
SteveBott
AG
Both schools districts are good. Not great but good enough.

GT is the county seat so a traditional downtown. On 35. Has a more variance of neighborhood styles.

LE is all new construction and went in overdrive the last 20 years. Less diverse and a classic suburb. 183 is its road.

So depends on your commute. I'd prefer 183 to Austin
RAM700BA
AG
Not sure about Georgetown, but the water bill in Leander can be really high depending on how much you water your lawn. My bill in the winter is around $100-150 (usually zero watering), and in the summer can get up to $250-270. I don't water an excessive amount, just enough to keep the grass from dying. The bill also includes sewage and garbage, but it's a small portion.
tamutaylor12
Where are you commuting to?

Also when you say Leander, do you mean Leander proper or Leander isd. The isd boundary is huge and has some top notch schools just west of Austin. For example the area west of 360 going towards lake Travis is LISD.

Have you considered western round rock or cedar park? Really good schools and possibly a shorter commute.
Mr. White
tamutaylor12 said:

Also when you say Leander, do you mean Leander proper or Leander isd. The isd boundary is huge and has some top notch schools just west of Austin. For example the area west of 360 going towards lake Travis is LISD.

Have you considered western round rock or cedar park? Really good schools and possibly a shorter commute.

I'd be working for either LISD or GISD.
tamutaylor12
I know people that work for both and are happy. LISD has a reputation as being well run from the teacher perspective. It's also fast growing so if you are interested in advancement, that helps.
oldarmy76
Georgetown the town is significantly better than Leander in my opinion. The whole downtown area has lots of good shops and restaurants and the open container allowance on the square keeps a fun atmosphere.
Georgetown has an identity. Leander is just a suburb.
JB
AG
I am building apartments in Leander now. As are a few other builders. Lots of growth. Very much a suburb. You are probably going to go back in to Cedar Park to do most of your shopping etc.
MouthBQ98
AG
Jeez!!! My water bill last month was $17.

Of course, my front lawn bears no resemblance to a golf green.
rather be fishing
AG
Leander has a "base water bill" before you account for anything over your allotted water. We lived there 5 or 6 years ago and the base rate was like $95. It was a little ridiculous. Keep in mind that covered water and sewer.
oldarmy76
Are you building either of the apartments at crystal falls and 183a?
Jones12
AG
Do you have an email I can reach out to? Would love to bid the roofing materials for you.
zooguy96
As stated, Leander is a suburb, Georgetown is more of a traditional town.

If I could do it over again, we would have lived in Georgetown instead of Leander. Georgetown has tons of festivals downtown, and is a great area.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
as a Cedar Park resident i can endorse Georgetown. we love Cedar Park, put GT has so much more going on.
BBDP
AG
Live and own a business in LISD area. Georgetown is nicer than Leander but it has some of the worst traffic due to I-35 and Wolf Ranch proximity to it.
Taxes are lower in GT. Leander probably has the highest tax rate in the region... Cedar Park is nicer than Leander and better traffic than GT.
183 has very little truck traffic compared to 35.... and the tolls are nice to be able to get a lot of places ... But you pay.

There are some very nice areas in between but make sure you know the full tax rates (including the MUD rates).

If anyone needs a Civil Engineer, let me know.
Bob_Ag
AG
I live in Round Rock and even I want nothing to do with GT traffic.

wadd96
AG
I cannot fathom anyone that would let their living choice be defined by a water bill...

Some of "old Leander" is kind of cool, but it the vast majority of the town has no character. Typical bedroom community. But hey, if you like eating at all chain restaurants in cookie cutter houses, why not?

Georgetown is much more diverse in terms of housing, restaurants, proximity to the toll road on the east (about 30 minutes closer to College Station given traffic to get out of Leander.) Additionally. FM 2243 runs from Georgetown to Leander so you can make a fairly easy commute if needed.

Only downside to Georgetown, IMO, is that a lot of the young Austinites have figured out that living in Austin sucks and have moved to Georgetown. But still, it has character compared to almost any other of the closer metro cities in WilCo.

Take all this with the knowledge that we are going to be building/moving to Milam County south of Thorndale...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
rather be fishing
AG
wadd96 said:

I cannot fathom anyone that would let their living choice be defined by a water bill...

Some of "old Leander" is kind of cool, but it the vast majority of the town has no character. Typical bedroom community. But hey, if you like eating at all chain restaurants in cookie cutter houses, why not?

Georgetown is much more diverse in terms of housing, restaurants, proximity to the toll road on the east (about 30 minutes closer to College Station given traffic to get out of Leander.) Additionally. FM 2243 runs from Georgetown to Leander so you can make a fairly easy commute if needed.

Only downside to Georgetown, IMO, is that a lot of the young Austinites have figured out that living in Austin sucks and have moved to Georgetown. But still, it has character compared to almost any other of the closer metro cities in WilCo.

Take all this with the knowledge that we are going to be building/moving to Milam County south of Thorndale...
RR's square beats Georgetown's. Georgetown's best Mexican restaurant has an outpost in Cedar Park, and it's not remotely close to as good as Jardin Corona. Plus RR has a fly shop. Georgetown is just another burb, but it's the best burb.

I've also heard nothing but bad things about GISD schools in the last couple of years, but I have no vested interest in school systems, so I can't confirm this.

Georgetown is by far the best burb, though.
oldarmy76
Who do you work for? Or I should say, what's the name of your company?
wadd96
AG
I wouldn't call RR a "square." It's more a street or a district. And FTR, the City of RR has taken a lot of steps to make the Main Street area much better, but I would say only in a race to catch up to Georgetown.

Lots of history in Georgetown, plus you've got The Hollow, Grape Creek, Mesquite Creek, 600 Degrees, Wildfire, etc...

As to events, you the monthly 1st Saturdays, Red Poppy, the Christmas Stroll, the lighting of the Square... Round Rock has what?

The only thing I would say that's missing is a true "Tex-Mex" option, but you can always make a quick trip to find good Tex-Mex. Plus, Jardin Corona is not in Round Rock anyway (Austin, CP, Liberty Hill).

Full Disclosure: My wife was raised in Round Rock and her family still lives there, her father works for the City.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Jardin Corona.
Dr T and the Women
AG
Imo cedar Park or west Round Rock are better options. Both are closer to Austin and are medium size which offers restaurants, hospitals etc
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SteveBott
AG
Mr. White said:

tamutaylor12 said:

I'd be working for either LISD or GISD.

Reread this post. Commute will not be an issue. Selecting his employer is the issue.
wadd96
AG
Georgetown is not far from the Seton Hospital next to the A&M Med School... or really that far from RR Medical Center...
96ags
AG
rather be fishing said:

wadd96 said:

RR's square beats Georgetown's. Georgetown's best Mexican restaurant has an outpost in Cedar Park, and it's not remotely close to as good as Jardin Corona. Plus RR has a fly shop. Georgetown is just another burb, but it's the best burb.

I've also heard nothing but bad things about GISD schools in the last couple of years, but I have no vested interest in school systems, so I can't confirm this.

Georgetown is by far the best burb, though.
Listen to this guy and stay way away from Georgetown!!!!

We're full.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Lived in G'town 30 years. The only thing wrong with G'town is Sun City.
rather be fishing
AG
I have an affinity for Georgetown. If you picked it up and moved it out around Brady, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

I'd most certainly raise kids there. And, since our neighborhood feeds Lanier HS, we'll most certainly have to make a move at some point. I sure as hell don't see AISD making any improvement. Hopefully I'll have my acreage in the hill country by then, though.

KCRanchero16
coyote68
Average age in Georgetown is 70. Geriatric Capitol of Texas. No kidding.
96ags
AG
coyote68 said:

Average age in Georgetown is 70. Geriatric Capitol of Texas. No kidding.
Look out guys he's not kidding so it must be true.
Dr T and the Women
AG
Other things to consider are demographics. I appreciate a little more diversity.

Georgetown is not very diverse:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Georgetown-Texas.html

Round Rock is more so:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Round-Rock-Texas.html

These things matter to me but maybe not to others. I also like closer proximity to the city. It is easy to head north from Cedar Park to Leander or from RR to Gtown if that is where you work

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
coyote68
Sun City is called "sin city" around Georgetown. The widows and widowers evidently are not practicing celebacy or safe sex.

Leander used to be the Cedar Chopper capital of Texas. Celibacy not practiced among those folks either.
tamutaylor12
rather be fishing said:

I have an affinity for Georgetown. If you picked it up and moved it out around Brady, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

I'd most certainly raise kids there. And, since our neighborhood feeds Lanier HS, we'll most certainly have to make a move at some point. I sure as hell don't see AISD making any improvement. Hopefully I'll have my acreage in the hill country by then, though.

You can send your kid to any HS in AISD that isn't capped due to enrollment. Anderson wasn't on the list and might not be too far. Mccallum has improved a bit as well.
water turkey
Georgetown has done a pretty good job of holding onto to its small town charm, even with explosive growth all around.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.