Austin
Sponsored by

CalAtlantic Homes

2,066 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cjo03
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone here own one? Wife and I were out looking today. We really liked one of the plans. Wondering if anyone has experience with them.

Jones12
AG
They are a premium builder, so most of their products are really nice. They also charge a premium for it, so expect to overpay
Charpie
AG
Jones12 said:

They are a premium builder, so most of their products are really nice. They also charge a premium for it, so expect to overpay

This. But so worth it
mforce
AG
We bought one when it was Ryland just over a year ago. Which neighborhood are you looking at? Ryland and Standard Pacific used to be very different in terms of style before the merger. I'm happy to answer any questions.
voorheesdn
AG
Trust Jones12 on this one...he knows a thing or two about the custom home game.
Furlock Bones
AG
Greyrock Ridge
TRD-Ferguson
AG
We've been in one for a year. They are absolutely horrible at warranty work after the sale. Once you close they will do all they can to stall or just not live up to the agreement. Buyer beware.
Furlock Bones
AG
care to elaborate?
TRD-Ferguson
AG
For starters it took over a year to complete all warranty items. Had we not had a detailed list it's likely some items would not have been completed. Sub contractors doing the warranty work routinely failed to show up for work on days work was scheduled. In other instances they showed up unannounced and did work that was not authorized which had to be undone followed by more time to do what had been requested. Obviously, this was exterior related work.

Touch up paint did not match the original paint requiring some entire areas to be repainted.

Every interaction with warranty team was adversarial. I'm an easy guy to get along with and at one point began questioning myself. Asked my neighbors what their experience had been and on our entire block had the same feedback. In fact, I felt lucky as others had far worse experiences than me.

As for quality, you will pay a premium price for a middle of the pack home. I've purchased five homes in my life prior to this one and have never had as much trouble as we had with this builder.
Furlock Bones
AG
thanks for the info.
voorheesdn
AG
Shoot me an email if you want. I'd be glad to throw give you a little info on what's out there currently.

david@voorheesteam.com
Jones12
AG
I don't know how much stock I would put into one example. You hear horror stories about every builder and their warranties. Coming from the construction side, they use premium materials- when every other builder cuts costs and goes cheap.
Furlock Bones
AG
jones,

would you mind emailing me, so i can ask you a few questions?

Charpie
AG
And I had friends in Cedar Park who had the exact opposite experience with them.
cjo03
AG
Jones, I would like to bounce a few custom home questions off of you too if you don't mind. I have a connection that may be looking for a builder in the North Austin area.

coreyjoe at gmail
who?mikejones
AG
Hey CJ, may I send you an email as well? I work for a custom home builder in North austin.
cjo03
AG
sure thing
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.