Austin
Sponsored by

City of Austin tax payers paying for immigration legal services

2,394 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggieangler93
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://kxan.com/2016/12/15/austin-to-pay-for-immigrant-legal-services-documented-and-undocumented/

Wonder where this money is going to come from.
rather be fishing
AG
Casar is behind it? I would have never imagined...
Bitter Old Man
AG
One day we'll look back and say that the turning point for our country was when people decided that the government needed to be run like a charity.
AustinScubaAg
AG
I wonder if we can sue the city of Austin for in appropriate use of tax payer funds? The money they spend on stupid stuff like this is out of control.
rather be fishing
AG
If any of you voted for Casar, I'd be happy to take a Venmo deposit to reimburse me for this bull*****
oldarmy76
Zimmerman got voted out. One of the only 2 that votes against crap like this.
Aggietaco
AG
oldarmy76 said:

Zimmerman got voted out. One of the only 2 that votes against crap like this.
To be fair, he was a little off. I voted him on in his first election but abstained this time around.
oldarmy76
"Off" or just a character? I agreed with almost all his votes on council and a appreciated him putting himself out there without much care to the political ramifications. I thought he sought to represent the people of his district with vigor.
I appreciated the way he went out at his last council meeting:
Vote against apd handing out gun locks
Vote against paying for legal services for illegal immigration
Multiple votes against subsidized affordable housing
Chastisement of how city run utilities utilize antilobbying ordinance to give themselves a leg up and any RFQs with city staff
Voting down every amendment to grove zoning case

Yeah, he was conservative and went out of his way to show it and explain it...and ultimately it cost him. But the city didn't need another yes man.

PabloSerna
AG
There is a fundamental view of government that is at the core of what is happening not only in Austin, but around our country:

1. Government is the protector of the people.
2. Government is the protector of the powerful.

Pick a side, you really can't have it both ways. I'm all for giving the people a hand up, not necessarily a hand out - but sometimes it will take that. I have a feeling the powerful will take care of their own without the government doing it for them. More of a Teddy Roosevelt view IMO.

+GIG'EM!
rather be fishing
AG
You can't make comparisons between US govt and the City of Austin. I wish COA would just close up shop and hire consultants to handle everything.
Aggieangler93
AG
Growing up here, I made a decision not to live in City of Austin for precisely this reason. They waste money like it's going out of style on all kinds of frivolous stuff. The roads are falling apart, the schools suck, and the Californians are still arriving at 500 a day, to pay some of the highest property taxes in the state. Oh well, at least they have some great new bike lanes for the 3000 tu students that ride bikes. And, a wonderfully thought out light rail with no access to the airport.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.