Austin
Sponsored by

District 10 Council Runoff

1,733 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Btron
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a reminder that there is a runoff for District 10 council going on. I would encourage you to vote for Sheri Gallo. Many people think that she won the election, but with 48 percent of the vote in a 4-way race she did not get the majority needed to avoid a runoff. Good turnout is important.
Thanks!
rather be fishing
AG
oldarmy76 said:

Just a reminder that there is a runoff for District 10 council going on. I would encourage you to vote for Sheri Gallo. Many people think that she won the election, but with 48 percent of the vote in a 4-way race she did not get the majority needed to avoid a runoff. Good turnout is important.
Thanks!
Nextdoor.com has been entertaining the last week or so with all the negativity regarding Gallo vs. Alter.

I don't have a vote in this one, but I'd be interested to hear some opinions on the two. From the vague reading I've done, I think I'd lean Alter.
oldarmy76
I will try to post more later. Just curious what you've heard or what issue would cause you to lean alter? That will help me respond better when I get more time tonight.
rather be fishing
AG
Sheri Gallo has been acting like she saved the world with this hotel withdrawing their initial permit application. They'll just resubmit a slightly shorter hotel and still get it approved while pretending to work with the neighborhoods.
Lynch
They'll just resubmit the same thing, but the resubmittal will be after the election.

oldarmy76
Are you talking about the hotel that is outside of the City of Austin's land use jurisdiction and is an administrative process? Are you expecting the City to shut something down they have no option but to approve if it meets Chapter 30 of the City's Code for development within the ETJ? It seems like an odd place for a hotel, but there is nothing the City can legally do to stop land owners from developing their property within their rights.

I think some people are falling for the classic developer conspiracy rhetoric that has picked up steam in this race as most aspects of the democratic machine (besides the younger progressive crowd which is an interesting part of local politics) put their money, mail lists, and media people to work on this runoff. That was the goal behind the same PACs supporting Alter (hard left) and Robert Walker (who was able to pick off about 10% of the right leaning voters)...force a runoff.

Beyond the developer conspiracies, the question is do you want Tovo, Kitchen, Pool, and Houston to run this City once they pick up another sidekick? That is really what this vote comes down to. Some people do. If you do, Alter is the better choice for you. If that is not the future you desire, Gallo is the better choice.
rather be fishing
AG
That hotel is the one. I don't have any issue with it being built or not built. If it's done within the legality of the code, then so be it.

Like I said, I don't have much of an opinion on either of the 2 as they are not my CC representative; however, I am opposed to Pool and Tovo.
Martin Cash
AG
Which one is the least weird???
oldarmy76
http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2016-12-09/d10-campaign-finance/
Austin chronical is doing a series of hit pieces on Gallo, but here is a list of endorsements. Draw your own conclusions.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Incumbant Austin City Council tells you all you need to know.
AFarmer95
AG
Go Gallo.

Alter is SOS old school that will do or say anything to win at all cost to drag us back to the time when the city believed in not building infrastructure to stop development and NIMBY at its best.
oldarmy76
Alter says supply and demand don't apply to real estate. And then says developers are conspiring together to limit supply coming on market and are the house for rising real estate prices as if it's a conspiracy between the dozens of major home builders in town.
What's her answer to adress this? Slow down development, require more park land than ever before that the city has no money to maintain, require "affordable housing programs" that only hurts affordability unless you are a lucky lottery winner, and generally be an environmental troll ...not for the sake of the environment but more for the troll part.
oldarmy76
Well, enjoy your new council member
Btron
AG
We will!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.