Austin
Sponsored by

best internet provider in north austin?

1,608 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving there in January and hear rumors of amazing internets.
Gator2_01
AG
Where do you consider North Austin? Google Fiber isn't anywhere North. TWC became Spectrum or Charter or something like that. ATT/Uverse also serves pretty much everywhere.

Whatever is best for your needs. You should be able to get 100-300 MB/s anywhere.
txjortsagent
AG
North is anything on the Waco side of Slaughter Lane
Gator2_01
AG
Anything South of Koenig is basically San Antonio.
always gig em
AG
Wells branch/35 area/pflugerville here with time warner and yes, no google fiber yet. No complaints so far with tw.
Mookie
AG
I have U-verse and used to have TWC. No complaints at all for either. I work from home so internet is important.

I'm in Cat Hollow.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I use Grande and like it. Support is very good and local. If you use U-verse they block HBO GO if you don't buy it through them.
BiochemAg97
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I use Grande and like it. Support is very good and local. If you use U-verse they block HBO GO if you don't buy it through them.

The should not be allowed to, give the FCC a call

Btw, I had HBO now just fine on unverse
AgSoccer2007
AG
I live in a neighborhood at Anderson Mill and Parmer... Time warner offers 200gbps - 300gbps for the same price that UVERSE has like 40 gbps. And that's the maximum speed Uverse could get in my neighborhood. Very happy with TWC/Spectrum so far. I did like UVERSE for tv better because their DVR boxes were wireless.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
I'm at Metric and Gracey Farms and have Spectrum/TWC with 300mb/home phone/cable with sports add on for $101 a month. Never had any issues. I'm considering just having internet and cutting the rest but not sure yet.
BiochemAg97
AG
There are some technology differences between Uverse DSL and TWC/Spectrum internet service that make the raw Mbps numbers not directly comparable.

DSL uses a copper pair (telephone lines) between you and the aggregation point that is entirely yours. There is a strong distance dependence, which is why some people can get higher speeds but a neighbor a few doors down can't. Your speed is a function of what max level you pay for and what can be sent down the unshared copper pair. While there are some electrical noise issues that can degrade performance, you will mostly get what you pay, as AT&T does a decent job not selling a service they can't deliver. At the far end of the copper pair, the data is aggregated on a fiber network. The downside when you have Uverse internet and TV (and phone) is the single bandwidth is shared between your tv, phone, and internet, with the TV and phone getting priority, but they do a decent job of accounting for that in determining your max internet speed package.

Cable uses a coax cable that is shared with your neighbors. The coax then ends up being aggregated with other groups on neighbors and put on the fiber network. Depending on how heavily oversubscribed, people can see a drop off from the max rate they pay for when all their neighbors come home and start using the internet. This use to be a very noticeable problem, but as speeds have increased, I'm not sure how noticeable it still is.

In truth, you are aggregated with your neighbors somewhere along the way, either at the coax with cable or at the fiber with DSL, and there is the potential that the service is oversubscribed to some extent and performance would degrade if everyone tried to max their internet usage at the same time.

As the providers roll out fiber to the home, the distance on the old tech (coax and twisted pair) is shortened and thus speeds can drastically increase for DSL and the sharing of the coax decreases with cable. Thus both services can push gigabit after the neighborhood is rewired.

Google fiber doesn't have the legacy network, so they have to wire the neighborhood from scratch. Same issues for all of them, except DSL and cable can provide service now before upgrade and google can't provide anything until they lay the fiber.

AgSoccer2007
AG
That's a great breakdown of the technology in layman's terms. Thanks for taking the time to write it out!

I definitely noticed when I had Uverse (at my home specifically) with their maximum service speeds, I could barely stream WatchESPN and Netflix without major buffering issues. Since I've gone back to TWC with their 300gbps , I can be streaming live sports on 3 devices simultaneously with zero issue keeping uninterrupted streams at full resolution.

Hoping google comes out at some point though! Their future coverage map literally ends a couple blocks from my street, though... ugh
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Thanks for the replies. Enormously helpful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.