Austin
Sponsored by

Finally cut the cord!

2,514 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by rather be fishing
Agit8r
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Time Warner is now HISTORY in my book! Google laid there fiber lines in my neighborhood (south Austin) and I went with it. Basic high speed only (100Mbps) is PLENTY fast!...both up & down...$50/mo. Got the phone added for an additional $10.

Got a ROKU box for free from Sling TV and went with their basic package for $20/mo. and added the sports package with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, and the SEC Network and more all for $5 extra. I get the major networks and a lot more channels over-the air with antenna....all in high def. Overall, I cut my bill by more than half. $85/mo. is a lot more palatable than $160/mo. I feel good about it! Was tired of paying $$$ for crap I don't watch. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!
txjortsagent
AG
Thought this was a vasectomy thread
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We did the same about 2.5 years ago. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime as well which add to our content library. Sling TV also gets you ESPN3 access. Then we add HBO GO during GOT season. Total bill is about 70 bucks but I still haven't found a good antenna for one of the TVs.
johnson2012
AG
Haven't looked back since we did it. Already had prime and share a netflix, hulu, and hbo account. Any thing not streamed somewhere we just buy or find through other means.

As for antenna we use a mohu leaf 25 stuck up in the attic. We only have 2 tvs so I just put a splitter on it and it works just fine. We get all the major networks, pbs austin & belton and a handful of other random channels and Spanish channels.
Agit8r
AG
Keeper, how does Prime stack-up against Netflix (which I have also)...any better/worse/about the same?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Netflix is better, a lot of crossover but Netflix original content puts it over the top. We have Prime for the free shipping
Froppe
AG
Jorts,
Be thankful. At least he didn't cut the cheese.
Hoss
AG
I'm paying $71 with Time Warner in Round Rock just for internet and a home phone. I wish Google Fiber would come to my neighborhood.

Time Warner - $71.64
Hulu - $12.74
Netflix - $12.98

Total - $97.36 - Still cheaper than cable

Add Sling TV during football season for $27.05 and that bumps it up to $124.41. That's still cheaper than cable and with the Watch ESPN app you can almost watch any football game being played. Honestly, I don't know why anyone pays for cable TV anymore. It's way over-priced for what you get.

I also have Amazon Prime but that's mainly for the free shipping. The few things I've wanted to watch on Prime I had to pay for even with my Prime membership, so I never use it for TV watching.
wargograw
How do you guys watch the SEC on CBS? NFL on Fox? Can you get redzone?
rather be fishing
AG
CBS and Fox via antenna.

I watch pretty much no NFL, but you should be able to pay for Red Zone and watch on the app if you have a Fire Stick/Chromecast/Roku.

My main concern with cutting the cord was Aggie football (we've used 2 free 1 week Sling trials for 2 game, watched one in the stadium, and watched the others on local channels through antenna or at friends' houses), Dallas Stars (watch most of these on sketchy streaming sites from overseas, can hook laptop to tv with HDMI to watch if I feel like it), and Aggie baseball (I'll figure that out in the spring).
chipotle
Google Fiber, coming to Austin in 2014. I'm still waiting and I'm not holding my breath.
FincAggie06
AG
Dump SlingTV for PlaystationVue. It's not even close to comparable in service. Includes FOX and CBS plus DVR capabilities.
Hoss
AG
FincAggie06 said:

Dump SlingTV for PlaystationVue. It's not even close to comparable in service. Includes FOX and CBS plus DVR capabilities.
Do you have to have a PlayStation?
FincAggie06
AG
Nope. The ideal device to run it off of is a Amazon Fire TV, but you can use a Roku, Playstation, and a couple other devices.
Maroon97
AG
We are running Playstation Vue on the Roku. We just started using it about 2 months ago and don't miss cable at all. We are paying $35 for PS Vue, which includes the SEC Network. And we are paying about $40 for 100MB internet, so cut our bill from about $160 a month to less than $80. PS Vue allows you to stream to 5 tvs/devices at a time versus Sling is either 1 device or 2, depending on which service level. PS Vue also includes what they consider a cloud-based DVR. It is not really a traditional DVR, but it beats the alternative with Sling.
rather be fishing
AG
Maroon97 said:

We are running Playstation Vue on the Roku. We just started using it about 2 months ago and don't miss cable at all. We are paying $35 for PS Vue, which includes the SEC Network. And we are paying about $40 for 100MB internet, so cut our bill from about $160 a month to less than $80. PS Vue allows you to stream to 5 tvs/devices at a time versus Sling is either 1 device or 2, depending on which service level. PS Vue also includes what they consider a cloud-based DVR. It is not really a traditional DVR, but it beats the alternative with Sling.
Who are you using for internet?
Maroon97
AG
I am using Time Warner for internet. It has been okay so far. I did not necessarily want to go back to TW, but I was done with AT&T and Google Fiber was not an option. We were deciding between TW and Grande and went with TW. There is no contract with TW, so I can cancel at any time.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We used Grande for internet and have had great service. Customer service is based in San Marcos
rather be fishing
AG
Maroon97 said:

I am using Time Warner for internet. It has been okay so far. I did not necessarily want to go back to TW, but I was done with AT&T and Google Fiber was not an option. We were deciding between TW and Grande and went with TW. There is no contract with TW, so I can cancel at any time.
Same circumstance with us.
Hoss
AG
Maroon97 said:

How is the picture? I have a 4000K Ultra HD TV and so far everything I've watched using Roku has had a horrible picture. Football games are the worst. Sometimes it gets so pixelated that you can't tell what's going on or it will just freeze. I stream Hulu and Netflix in ultra HD and the picture is amazing, so I know it's not my interent (100 Mbps). I'm hesitant to sign up for anything that requires me to use Roku just for that reason. Too bad there isn't a Playstation Vue app for Samsung TVs.

On a side note, I wish I could ditch TW for internet but my only other option is AT&T and I don't think they're any better. And I don't want any kind of dish service.
rather be fishing
AG
Hoss said:

Maroon97 said:

How is the picture? I have a 4000K Ultra HD TV and so far everything I've watched using Roku has had a horrible picture. Football games are the worst. Sometimes it gets so pixelated that you can't tell what's going on or it will just freeze. I stream Hulu and Netflix in ultra HD and the picture is amazing, so I know it's not my interent (100 Mbps). I'm hesitant to sign up for anything that requires me to use Roku just for that reason. Too bad there isn't a Playstation Vue app for Samsung TVs.

On a side note, I wish I could ditch TW for internet but my only other option is AT&T and I don't think they're any better. And I don't want any kind of dish service.
Drop the streaming quality or disconnect other things (phones, laptops, etc.) from your wifi.

We have a 50mbps connection with a Fire Stick and it's virtually impossible to watch anything on Sling. The app within in an app thing just uses too much bandwidth. However, WatchESPN works moderately well. So I've used the Sling credentials to watch games on the ESPN app.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.