Austin
Sponsored by

Eatery news

7,543 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by fig96
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Homeslice coming to North Loop. While I really like Homeslice, that seems like a hell of a gamble with Pinthouse, Bufalina, Little Deli, Eastside Pies, and House Pizza so close.
http://dining.blog.austin360.com/2016/10/27/an-update-on-the-home-slice-pizza-coming-to-north-loop/

R.I.P. Olivia
Now a Lucy's Fried Chicken. Granted, we get Lucy's sometimes if we're at Little Woodrow's but it isn't Gus'.
Federale01
AG
Via 313 also opened fairly close on Guadalupe and Salvation is not far away either. I think they will do ok. They have a great rep and the burnet corridor is growing rapidly.

I like Pinthouse but I avoid it. I have been burned one too many times by a whole teeball team hogging a table for two hours while their parents split one pitcher and 20 people are waiting for a place to sit.
Potcake
AG
Yep, I go to Pinthouse, order a pizza to go, drink a pint while I wait and gtfo.

Edit to add, I do the same thing at Bufalina. Order pizza and have a glass of wine outside. Not going to eat in that crowded matchbox.
Federale01
AG
I still haven't tried Bufalina. I have no excuse now that they have a closer option.
rather be fishing
AG
Jack Allen'Allen's moving into the old Fork and Vine location makes me happy.
Potcake
AG
rather be fishing said:

Jack Allen'Allen's moving into the old Fork and Vine location makes me happy.

Holy S, that would be awesome.
rather be fishing
AG
It's happening, news came out earlier this week.
LihaiAg06
AG
Federale01 said:

Via 313 also opened fairly close on Guadalupe and Salvation is not far away either. I think they will do ok. They have a great rep and the burnet corridor is growing rapidly.

I like Pinthouse but I avoid it. I have been burned one too many times by a whole teeball team hogging a table for two hours while their parents split one pitcher and 20 people are waiting for a place to sit.
Via 313 is great. A very different kind of pizza...thick with a crusty burnt cheese crust. Drinks are really good there also although a bit pricey.

Parking is a breeze as there is a garage in the back of the building.
phatbc
Been with via 313 for a minute. Haven't been to the b&m version.
txjortsagent
AG
Gonna miss Olivia
HECUBUS
AG
Villarinas Pasta & Fine Foods
Flash frozen and flown in from NY. I visit John several times a week for pizza dough, bread, and all kinds of pre made meals that take 50 min in the oven at tree fiddy. It's not easy making meals with both parents working and active kids. New batch of food delivered next Tuesday, 11/8. They run out fast. Currently out of beef lasagna, fettuccini alfredo and low on lobster ravioli in red pepper cream sauce.

It's next door to the Smoothie King that we frequent daily.
AgGrad99
AG
I like homeslice, but i usually go when I'm already down on S.Congress for some reason. It's never a 'destination' place for me.

Jack Allens' will be a huge hit in that location on Anderson. That guy has the Midas touch

Anyone tried his new restaurant, Salt Traders? We went this past weekend and it is FANTASTIC. A really cool atmosphere, and great food.
stevopike
AG
Trying Eberly Tonight, anyone been?

Also been frequenting Toss Pizzeria as it is at the end of my street, good pizza, drinks, etc. Have a great patio for kids etc. One of the owners is an AG.
rather be fishing
AG
Heard a lot of good things about Eberly but have not been.

Wife and I went to Jacoby's for brunch a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic.
BlazingSaddles
Wife and I have been meaning to try Toss, but haven't made it there yet. We really like Via 313. I'm not that big on Homeslice, it's just average to me and there zero chance I'll wait in line there for a table. It really bothers some friends who live right by it, but I just won't do it.

I know this next statement will anger all of Austin, but we did not like Jack Allen's. We went four times to the location in Oak Hill, trying to give it a chance, and had a disappointing to flat out bad experience every time.

We tried the Westlake location for brunch and have enjoyed it both times. However, I just can't go back for any other meal because of the previous trips. We will continue to keep it as an option for brunch, but only when we've run out of other options

I agree with the strategy of pizza to go from Buffalina and Pinthouse. Really like Pinthouse, but the t-ball analogy couldn't be more accurate. Late lunches though are quite great there!
Federale01
AG
I agree about Jack Allens. I like their appetizers and drinks, but the entrees always strike me as pedestrian. Dishes sound great on the menu, but are just average when they get to your table.
dustin999
AG
Agreed, JA is one of those places I really want to love. Living in Dripping, we still go to JA every so often, but the dishes are a little bland sometimes. A better job seasoning would go such a long way.

I also agree with Homeslice. It used to be the sh** when we had limited options on pizza. Now there are too many awesome pizza options. It still makes the pizza top 10 lists all the time--I assume for nostalgic purposes.
rather be fishing
AG
Wife and I had a pizza at DeSano on Burnet a couple of weeks ago. It was very good, but East Side is better. They also don't have anything in the space to dampen the sounds so it's loud as hell.
Papa_Blaze
AG
nm
Potcake
AG
rather be fishing said:

Wife and I had a pizza at DeSano on Burnet a couple of weeks ago. It was very good, but East Side is better. They also don't have anything in the space to dampen the sounds so it's loud as hell.

I picked up a pizza (the De Sano) here last Friday and it was really good, especially the sausage chunks. I had a glass of wine while I waited but agree that it is loud and has no real ambiance.
Potcake
AG
Jewboy Burger truck was at Little Woodrow's tonight. Burgers are legit. Potato buns are big but not gut bomby like Phil's. Wife had a Jewboy with Swiss cheese and fresh jalepenos, I had an Oy Vey Guey (green chiles), and a side order of green chile latkes. I would put these up with Billy's, Top Notch, or Hopdoddy.
rather be fishing
AG
Had a burger and the green chili latkas a few weeks ago. It was solid and the owner was a very nice guy. Said this was his mid life crisis. Prices seem a little high, but I'll go back for sure.
Potcake
AG
Agree, $4 for two relatively small latkes is a bit high. That dude is pretty cool, and a big dude.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I always think about going to JewBoy, but its so close to Billy's, that if I go for a burger in that area it will be Billy's/=. That is my best burger in Austin
rather be fishing
AG
Give it a try. I think Jewboy is better than Billy's, but I also wouldn't put Billy's close to my favorite in Austin.
MaroonStain
AG
I tried Fresa's last night (took Freddie's spot). I got 1/4 chicken for $11 which was undercooked and overpriced. I will keep my same broiled chicken go-to's.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Eater has Jewboy as one of the top burgers to try right now. I will have to try it out.
trouble
AG
We love Salt Traders.
txjortsagent
AG
Uber Eats delivers from a food truck called Thai Kruefha. Some of the best Thai I've ever had and delivered
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
ATX Boudin Hut, down on west campus but also available on favor is legit
AgGrad99
AG
trouble said:

We love Salt Traders.
us too
Papa_Blaze
AG
Mandola's over in the Triangle has been my favorite place to go for Italian
Furlock Bones
AG
I need some serious recommendations because so far the food here is good but not nearly the level of Houston.

rather be fishing
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I need some serious recommendations because so far the food here is good but not nearly the level of Houston.

What are you looking for? There's plenty of God restaurants in Austin.
Furlock Bones
AG
rather be fishing said:

Furlock Bones said:

What are you looking for? There's plenty of God restaurants in Austin.
Houston is one of the top food cities in the country right now, and I am familiar with them. so, obviously i am going to be biased.

what i want to know is where is the good authentic Mexican restaurants. not just TexMex. where's the menudo?
where's the real barbacoa?

Asian - Uchi/Uchiko are legit props to Austin for that. Sway was very nice for thai style. but, is there any Vietnamese worth a damn?

Steaks- where is the best? so far there's nothing close to Houston Pappa's, V&A's, etc.

Best burger in town? in Houston, I know where to go.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.