Austin
Sponsored by

Gun Storage

2,516 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know of a place to store guns in Austin? We don't have room for a safe in our current house and I don't want to risk them getting stolen and getting out on the streets. Currently I have them stored in a friend's gun safe in Dallas, but would like to get them closer to me.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Could you buy a gun safe and put it in a climate controlled storage unit? Move the guns in at night. Probably more secure than a safe in the house.

Otherwise, I think The Range is going to have something like that, but not certain. You'll probably have to be a member.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I don't want to deal with moving them around a lot. My research says I could put a gun safe in the garage with dehumidifier and goldenrod but I am not sure I want to do that. I'd probably want to extend my alarm system to my garage if I did that. Plus we are about to go through a remodel, so I'd rather have them offsite,
ZooGuy
AG
You could get a smaller safe that would fit inside a standard closet. Would probably weigh around 2 to 250 pounds. Would be easily moved with a dolly. Would probably hold about 10 or 12 long guns. That's what I would go with.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah, our house is 850 square feet and the closets are maybe 2 feet by 2 feet and there are only two of them, so not big enough for any kind of safe.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I would never put it in the garage, unless the garage door locks and you will never open it. You don't want anyone catching a glimpse of your safe. It would be pretty easy to get into a garage, back a truck up and be gone with the safe before the alarm company even calls you to confirm an alarm.

Definitely secure it to the floor.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah, if I were to put in the garage I would bolt it the foundation and obfuscate it, but I am not going to go to the garage, because that will be demolished very quickly as part of the addition that's going on, so back to looking for external storage.
javajaws
AG
How about an under the bed gun safe?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Under the bed idea is decent, but I would need to re-arrange already storing most of my seasonal clothing there and that doesn't solve my issues once the construction begins and we have to move stuff around.
Texmid
AG
How often would you need access to them? How much are you willing to pay for storage? I know someone who owns a building that used to be a bank. There is a very large vault.
Centex99
AG
How about building a safe into the floor of your addition? Perhaps under where a bed will go or something like that.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I don't need to access them regularly and safe will be built into the addition. I'd pay 30-50 a months
aggieactor01
AG
Did you ever find anything? Inherited some hand guns but living in an apartment with two small kids. Would rather not store here so looking for something similar.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
No. They are in the attic right now. I am oiling them regularly but need to move them before the heat returns.
Jackie Daytona
AG
Potcake
AG
You're spending too much money on guns and not enough on house.
Jackie Daytona
AG
Potcake said:

You're spending too much money on guns and not enough on house.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Ha. I have 3 guns, 2 inherited and I am adding to the house, but never see a need for more than 2000 square feet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.