Austin
Sponsored by

WCAD Appraisal Notices Are Out

10,347 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TexLeoAg
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just submitted my online protest (Travis County) and their first settlement offer was our home being appraised $10K less than last year...thinking I take this and run...?
HowdyOutbound
Mine has been really weird for the three years I've owned my home.

First year without HS exemption: up 14%
Next year with HS exemption: up 6%
This year with HS exemption: up 9.5%

The only year I bothered protesting was the first year when it went up 14%. They really didn't lower it at all when I protested.

So overall, it's pretty much been a 10% increase every year.
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
I just submitted my online protest (Travis County) and their first settlement offer was our home being appraised $10K less than last year...thinking I take this and run...?

Did you accept? What kind of info did you submit in your protest?
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Mine has been really weird for the three years I've owned my home.

First year without HS exemption: up 14%
Next year with HS exemption: up 6%
This year with HS exemption: up 9.5%

The only year I bothered protesting was the first year when it went up 14%. They really didn't lower it at all when I protested.

So overall, it's pretty much been a 10% increase every year.
TCAD got pretty cute with mine in my first year.

75% increase on land value but a 40% decrease on the improvements.

After >10% increases every year since, the improvements are well above where they started and land has gone up another 20%.
CapCity12thMan
AG
this was the informal/online protest where by I just give them a number of what I think, and a one or two sentence reason why. The formal protest (if I choose not to accept) is where I would take all my evidence and plead my case.

Leaning toward just taking it...
Aggietaco
AG
Did you use neighborhood comps in your reasoning or just "it's not worth that much" type BS?
CapCity12thMan
AG
my exact words:

quote:
Taxpayer Comments:

no significant upgrades/changes to the house since last year that would warrant an increase of $13,265 to the value. Comparables sold are not similar to this property to identify a value for.
then I gave them a number that was $1K above last years appraisal value, and their counter was 1K above that, but 10K less than their initial assessment.
Imsodopey
AG
Can't believe that around 60% of my taxes go to AISD. Never have had a child to send.
Jason Ag
AG
So I wasn't assigned an E-File PIN #. Does anyone have experience doing protests the paper way? Is is still possible to do an informal protest?
HowdyOutbound
Does anyone have experience doing formal protests? They wanted to increase my home value by $26,000 based on "improvements" which I haven't made.

The price I bought my home for is about $15,000 higher than its current appraised value, so I think a fair price might be the price I bought it for, not higher. How do I successfully protest this?
rather be fishing
AG
We've used a company to do it the last 2 years. It doesn't take up any of our time, and they've gotten it reduced pretty significantly both times.
HowdyOutbound
quote:
We've used a company to do it the last 2 years. It doesn't take up any of our time, and they've gotten it reduced pretty significantly both times.

Can you recommend a company to use?
rather be fishing
AG
Protax
HowdyOutbound
quote:
Protax

What does it typically cost?
rather be fishing
AG
They retain half of the overall savings.
HowdyOutbound
quote:
They retain half of the overall savings.

So if I get my appraised value reduced by $10,000 I have to pay them $5000?!
CapCity12thMan
AG
not half of the appraisal difference but half of what your increase/decrease in taxes would be. If they knock down your appraisal $10K, and that saves you $500 on taxes, you owe them $250, saving you a net $250.

at least I think that is how it is done
rather be fishing
AG
It's half of the reduction in your actual taxes you pay. For instance, if your appraisal is reduced to where you owe $1000 less than you would have without protesting, you pay them $500.
HowdyOutbound
Nm
jakester03
AG
I did the online protest and they scheduled me to come in and meet with an appraiser. Guy was super nice. He used better comps than even what I brought. Dropped my home value $37k and it was an easy process. This was for WCAD.
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
I did the online protest and they scheduled me to come in and meet with an appraiser. Guy was super nice. He used better comps than even what I brought. Dropped my home value $37k and it was an easy process. This was for WCAD.

Glad you got yours dropped. I didn't have the option to online protest, sent an email and paper copy. Haven't heard anything back. I need to call and make sure they got it, although if they didn't the deadline was May 31st.
Jason Ag
AG
I've got an informal meeting in August. Trying to build my evidence. A comparable near by property sold in the last couple of years, anyone know how to see what it actually sold for?
rather be fishing
AG
Unless it sold for less than the appraised value, I'm not sure it would help your case.

You can pull comp values from the Appraisal District website.
Jason Ag
AG
The property is about 100 ft from our back fence, the entrance is on a different road. They did not jack their property value up (maybe a few percent) they increased ours by 150%. Based on the evidence packet there are some new nice neighbourhoods going in down the road towards town that they used to raise all values along that road. The new neighbourhoods have nice houses and deed restrictions. Ours doesn't.

If the sell price doesn't help me, at least I'd know. The property is comparable, the house is older, but it has a 30x50 metal building/shop. Even with what they listed it at (on zillow) I think I can argue land value = (sale price) - (house) - (cost of shop) and come out about right.
Spider69
AG
My 2016 TCAD appraisal value was up about $200,000 over what I paid in 12/2012. I should have protested in 2013 or 2014 & didn't! I did the online route on mine & my Aggie daughter's next door. Their "evidence" folder shows & demos how they do the appraisals. I protested on unrepresented value & incorrect data (they had my sq ft over estimated by ~ 200 sq ft). I submitted my "certified" & approved plans showing the more correct sq ft. My 2016 appraised value dropped by ~ $80,000. I had about 20 or more 2015 MLS sales comps from my area. Actually the TCAD was pretty close to those sales in most cases with a few misses both high and low. The misses seemed to be corrected in their 2016 appraisal estimates. It's not a simple $/sq ft thing & their appraisal system is rather complete and decently calibrated despite my thinking it was way off. The online thing went pretty simply and quickly. Other friends are doing the whole protest thing. I think my situation was adjusted somewhat fairly but I have homestead & over 65 exemptions.
Jason Ag
AG
Anyone do an informal (in person) protest in Travis county? What did you bring? Outcome?
Bitter Old Man
AG
I did,unless you just bought your house and are showing them your settlement statement, or have some mistake on the bill, its a waste of time. They wont do anything for you.
Jason Ag
AG
Sad to hear that. I'm still going to give it the 'ol college try. I guess if the informal doesn't go well I will try the formal.
KT 90
AG
quote:
I did,unless you just bought your house and are showing them your settlement statement, or have some mistake on the bill, its a waste of time. They wont do anything for you.
Not true in all cases. Get a realtor to help you with some comps that (hopefully) prove your house is overvalued. It's been 5 or 6 years or so, but I've done that twice and was successful both times. Go in with a realistic number that you are shooting for, and have some info to back it up, and I'd venture that you have decent odds of getting your number lowered.

Jason Ag
AG
Yes I have some comps thanks to aggdave. I got their evidence packet and I should have a good argument. I have been gathering info and plan on putting it together this weekend. My informal is this coming week.
Jason Ag
AG
They lowered my taxes back down to my 2015 levels, thanks for all the help and advice! I have one of the signed sheets where we agreed on the value, but what happens now? Will this change be reflected on their website eventually?
chipotle
Five Stone just sent me a letter saying they couldn't lower my appraisal. Dammit.
Zosima
Had you used them before? They lowered our price by $1800, but I was obviously hoping for more. I was wondering if you have been pretty happy with their services in the past, and this year was a tough year for appraisals.
chipotle
Zosima said:

Had you used them before? They lowered our price by $1800, but I was obviously hoping for more. I was wondering if you have been pretty happy with their services in the past, and this year was a tough year for appraisals.

Never used them before. I figured I'd give them a shot since I didn't have time to figure out comps, strategize a hearing to try and lower myself.
TexLeoAg
Does anyone remember A) about when Wilco sends appraisal notices out B) when is the protest deadline...

I missed my protest deadline last year (don't ask) and want to be ready for it the next time around. Embarrassing to say the least....
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.