Austin
Sponsored by

WCAD Appraisal Notices Are Out

10,414 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TexLeoAg
Aggie Pharmer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How many of you are surprised at the increase in your appraisal?
We closed on our house April 6, 2015. Our 2015 appraisal was $250,000 and our 2016 appraisal is now $295,000.
For some reason we weren't given a Homestead Cap Loss for 2016, even though our appraisal form shows that it was applied last year.

UPDATE: just got off phone with WCAD and the Homestead Cap does not apply to the first full year we occupy the residence. Which means not only do we not get the Homestead reduction but we also don't qualify for the 10% max increase in appraisal value.

chipotle
I was expecting the 10% increase. ***k them and all the other people that just HAVE to move to Austin area.
AggieStout
AG
is there anything to do about the increase at this point or do i just bend over and take it.
CapCity12thMan
AG
protest it...works every year
chipotle
quote:
protest it...works every year

except last year...and the year before that

***Update***

2016 Online protest just failed as well. Time to schedule a hearing for another good failing.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I hire a protest company, and they protest and get my value lowered a little. Basically they know the CAD people and they get treated better. There is not much you can do otherwise. If you are honest with yourself, your house is probably worth as much as or more than your assessment, because this market is stupid.

What you should really do is talk to your Legislator and figure out how to get away from Ad Valorum Taxes. Whoever thought it was a good idea to tax what something is "worth" instead of what you paid for it should have their grave desecrated. For all of the Rah Rah Rugged Individual Texan that we have in this state, what nobody realizes is that we all rent our property from the government, and if we don't pay the rent, they can kick us off. Oh, and they set the rent wherever they want to cover them spending on whatever they want. (See UT Medical School) /Rant Over
jah003
S
Mine went up 26,000... Luckily we have the 10% cap. Otherwise would have been closer to 40,000. Bought our house about 3 and half years ago for 200,000. Market value is currently 270,000. That's just cray...
mforce
AG
Has anyone had experience with the "Meet with staff for possible resolution" option before directly going to protest? Trying to decide if it is worth the drive up to Georgetown.

Bitter Old Man
AG
In Travis county the meet with the staff is only good if there is a data issue (wrong property ID, etc) or if you just bought your house, you bring in the contract and they lower the value. Not sure about WCAD.
tamutaylor12
276k to 304k in one year
KT 90
AG
quote:
Has anyone had experience with the "Meet with staff for possible resolution" option before directly going to protest? Trying to decide if it is worth the drive up to Georgetown.

I've done it twice in Travis county and won (got it lowered) both times. That is over 14 years or so, only went when I thought I had a good case and data to back it up. If you can get sales data from a realtor for comparable "comp" houses of the same general size as yours from your neighborhood, you can use that data to show them that the houses are actually selling for lower prices than the number they came up with for your house. Of course with the cost of housing in the general Austin area, you can't always come up with comps that work in your favor.

Anyway, both times I went I had data with me and it was actually a pretty easy process. Showed them what I thought it should be valued at and they accepted it. I didn't try to pull off some crazy number, just something more reasonable than the number that I received from them. I'd only invest the time and effort of going down to protest if you are confident that they have overvalued your house and you have something (data) to back it up.

Frisco - Ag
AG
$70k increase in one year in Leander.

This is absolutely criminal and a complete waste of my time to protest this. The comps in no way justify this.

Where is the accountability with these idiots.

trouble
AG
I should probably check my mail.
CapCity12thMan
AG

quote:
complete waste of my time to protest this. The comps in no way justify this.
Isn't this the precise reason to go protest, then? If you can find comps that don't justify it then you have your argument against the increase.
Federale01
AG
I was pissed last year when I got my estimate in Travis county. I thought they were robbing me blind. I sold my house that summer and made 40,000 over my estimate. So I don't think they are always screwing us.

The bigger problem is the law allows a 10 percent increase per year.
Frisco - Ag
AG
quote:

quote:
complete waste of my time to protest this. The comps in no way justify this.
Isn't this the precise reason to go protest, then? If you can find comps that don't justify it then you have your argument against the increase.
My point being it's a waste of my time to have to argue an appraisal that is clearly not correct.

Why can they not asses an accurate / fair value? Its a money grab that requires all of us to fight or get screwed over. They are criminals.
Bitter Old Man
AG
They would argue that they have a limited amount of information to use, and have to apply blanket valuations because of the shear volume of properties. That is why you see a bill every session to require buyers to disclose sales prices to the counties. It always gets defeated, but that may not always happen.

And you are right, it is a money grab. Being taxed based on what someone else would pay is the acme of stupidity. That we all live with it, just makes me sad.

I would be all for requiring disclosure of sales price, if that meant they had to leave the value at that amount until it sold..
trouble
AG
Less than 10% but just barely. No use in fighting because smaller, less nice houses are selling for more than my new appraised value.
SecAg
AG
I'm in Wilco too. Just started my second year in our house and it went from $417 to $500k. Absolutely ridiculous. I was wondering about the 10% cap as well but reading the OP's comment made sense.
87IE
AG
It's sad that I'm happy with an 11% increase this year on a rent house after it went up 29% last year.
rather be fishing
AG
TCAD came out today.
Hanrahan
AG
Up 70k in Travis county. Lovely. *******s. Ever higher valuations and ever increasing number of line items on the tax bill after the county comes up with whatever it wants to force me to pay for.
Aggietaco
AG
Looks like they changed up their valuations a bit. Much higher land values and dropped the construction values on every property I looked at. "Only" up 16% here in North Austin, but they still haven't caught up to recent comps, thankfully.

http://propaccess.traviscad.org/clientdb/?cid=1
KT 90
AG
quote:
TCAD came out today.
Just pulled mine up online, we were under the 10% cap this time, but still higher of course.

rather be fishing
AG
Our appraised went up 30%, capped at 10%.

Both land and construction increased significantly.
AggieMoe
Travis county here, land value doubled, improvements dropped almost 20k. 13.5% appraisal value increase
johnson2012
AG
14% in NW Austin, but HS cap did hold it to ten. Much larger jump on land value than the last couple years. Unfortunately, based of what some neighbors have recently sold for I have no ground to negotiate.
rather be fishing
AG
quote:
14% in NW Austin, but HS cap did hold it to ten. Much larger jump on land value than the last couple years. Unfortunately, based of what some neighbors have recently sold for I have no ground to negotiate.
You always have ground to negotiate, or at least hire a company to do it for you.
HECUBUS
AG
Don't worry, they bump the land, lower the improvements and then hold that land value and bring the improvements back up... Until the next land bump, rinse and repeat.

We've been in the same Austin area home for 24+ years. You get numb to the game after a while. Taxes are more than the original loan plus taxes plus MIP.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Plus $91K in Travis. Up 14.5% all in improvement value, no adjustment on land value. Sure. Please TCAD, make me an offer at your valuation and you've got a deal.
ZooGuy
AG
I protested and drove up to Georgetown and it worked. Was going to be 25% increase (insane). Based on other home values (we had just bought ours 6 months earlier), got it limited to 5%.
Jason Ag
AG
I live in Travis on a few acres, and they almost doubled our value, however the taxable increase was capped to 10%.

1. Will my taxes just go up 10% a year until they hit the appraisal value?

2.Almost all of the increase was due to property value going up. However, I think the house is under valued in their estimate. If I protest the property could this cause them to look at the house and raise that too?

I'm inexperienced in this stuff and any advice is appreciated.
KT 90
AG
quote:
I live in Travis on a few acres, and they almost doubled our value, however the taxable increase was capped to 10%.

1. Will my taxes just go up 10% a year until they hit the appraisal value?

2.Almost all of the increase was due to property value going up. However, I think the house is under valued in their estimate. If I protest the property could this cause them to look at the house and raise that too?

I'm inexperienced in this stuff and any advice is appreciated.

#1 is yes. It'll keep inching up each year. Not sure on #2, you probably ought to run that by someone who contests appraisals for a living. There are companies out there that assist with fighting appraisals, might be worth checking out in your case.

Born Maroon
AG
$27K increase in Travis County for me. Lots of homes for sale in my neighborhood for 6+ months. NONE are selling.
DrAg93
AG
Moved to new home off city park road in October. TCAD just sent an appraisal for 200k more than I paid. They are nuts. Needless to say I protested immediately and included my settlement statement.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.