Austin
Sponsored by

KLBJ 590 AM

7,040 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aust Ag
Cowboy Curtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
**edit** Jeff Ward no longer employed! Wow! New discussion below...

Dale Dudley has taken over the 2PM Todd & Don show. 30 minutes in and Dale is losing it. His program director already stepped in to calm him down. Bring back T&D already!
CivilAg10
AG
Todd and Don took over the morning show (5 to 9).
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Todd and Don took over the morning show (5 to 9).
Really?

Not that Mark, Ed and Sam were great, and I've been on podcasts for the past few months, but T&D don't seem like prime time morning material.
CivilAg10
AG
Yep. T&D from 5-9, Mark and Charlie Hodge from 9-11, 11-2 is still Rush, then Dale from 2-3, and now Ed is with Jeff for all 4 hours from 3-7
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I actually enjoy Ed joining Jeff's show. Poor Sam was losing his train of thought in his arguments towards the end there and you could almost feel Ed/Mark cringe when he rambled.
Aggietaco
AG
Agreed on the Ed and Jeff. The last hour of Jeff's show was always the best when Ed joined and they rambled about sports, though the Longhorn homerism does get tiring.
wadd96
AG
Did this start this week? I only have like a 10 minute commute and hadn't switched over to KLBJ in the mornings lately...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
96ags
AG
Sadly, Dudley being on the afternoon show is making him intolerable on the FM morning show.

He spends more time complaining about the AM show in the morning than he does actually doing the afternoon show.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I don't see this experiment lasting much longer. Yesterday's show was a total cluster, especially when the first thing you say on air is "sorry I'm not prepared for today's show, I have other problems with my other show to worry about."
bankshot11
AG
590's ratings have been in a freefall for at least a year now, and I'm assuming that's one of the reasons Sgt. Sam decided to leave. Todd and Don are much better than Mark Caesar and Charlie Hodge in the mornings (I like Charlie but what a cringeworthy combo that is), but their show/trolling format is better when kept to an hour. Dudley's show has been a disaster so far, as he doesn't fit the demographic at all.

Typical radio move, the "nationwide search" for a new host doesn't extend outside of the building. They'll have to get some new blood sooner rather than later, but they're going to continue rearranging the same tired personalities around.
water turkey
Yeah, it seems like they are "throwing stuff at the wall" hoping that something sticks.
salvatore_ditmars
quote:
I'm assuming that's one of the reasons Sgt. Sam decided to leave.
Sam had to get down to Argentina with the rest of the ex-nazis
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Never been a fan of Ed. I must be missing something.
FaceMask
T&D are great, but rarely get to listen to them now..at least catch them on podcast. Sgt. Sam was definitely losing his train of thought too often and even voiceovers for ads were terrible. I do like Jeff and Ed mostly because it's two ppl opposed to one.

Hoge is ok and never listened to the new afternoon ******bag.
Martin Cash
AG
I've always been convinced that Jeff Ward has pictures of somebody. He is god-awful and unbearable to listen to.

The new afternoon guy is a joke.
coupland boy
AG
I always enjoyed jeff ward.

Dale Dudley became stupid horrible though. Just awful!
bankshot11
AG
Dale spent his entire FM show today recapping how angry he made all of the AM listeners, and now he's doing the same thing on his new AM show. I want to like his new show, but I just can't.
96ags
AG
The bad thing is I really liked the morning show before, but it is really going downhill.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Jeff Ward no longer employed with 590 AM
Martin Cash
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

If that's true, thank God! I could never stand that pompous ass.
Potcake
AG
Nooooo
Senator Blutarski
AG
Sure he was an ass. But he was OUR ass. A big part of living here in Austin.
What in the wide world of sports is going on in this town.
Frozen Concoction
That show has been a part of my afternoon commute since I moved to Austin in 1998... Jimmy the Neck, his mother-in-law Phyllis, his DWI incident. He was the most tolerable local sports guy. I was usually entertained. I guess KLBJ will just run non-stop car crash attorney and low-T ads from now on.
DD88
AG
I haven't listened to him much lately, but last time I heard, he was railing on and on about Trump obstructing the Ukraine investigation. I wasn't sure if he was serious.

Looks like it was replaced by the Jason and Ed show.

https://www.newsradioklbj.com/shows/show-schedule

Is this the same Ed that is the biggest t-shirt sip fan?

Statesman article:
https://www.statesman.com/news/20191002/longtime-newsradio-klbj-afternoon-host-jeff-ward-gone-after-20-years-on-air

Quote:

The station, on its website, didn't go into much detail on the reasoning behind the changes, posting a short message to listeners that said, in part: "Sometimes, it's just time for a change and NewsRadio KLBJ keeps reinventing itself with live local shows and the best national programming."

Clements, another Austin radio fixture, remains at NewsRadio KLBJ. He now co-hosts with Mark Caesar and Melynda Brandt from 2 to 4 p.m. weekdays, then joins 101X morning host Jason Dick for a sports-focused talk show from 4 to 6 p.m.

Layne Staley
AG
Now that he's no longer employed there I will start listening again. Worst case of TDS of any alleged Libertarian I am aware of. Good riddance.
Martin Cash
AG
Layne Staley said:

Now that he's no longer employed there I will start listening again. Worst case of TDS of any alleged Libertarian I am aware of. Good riddance.
Amen. I'm listening now. First time I've listened after 3 pm in years.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Martin Cash said:

Cowboy Curtis said:

If that's true, thank God! I could never stand that pompous ass.
same here. He got worse after Trump was elected. It became all anti-Trump all the time.

he had the same schtick all the time and it just got old. Weather calls for a chance of ice or snow, then you can count on hearing "ice-pocalypse" from Jeff Ward for a couple of days.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Aust Ag
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

That show has been a part of my afternoon commute since I moved to Austin in 1998... Jimmy the Neck, his mother-in-law Phyllis, his DWI incident. He was the most tolerable local sports guy. I was usually entertained. I guess KLBJ will just run non-stop car crash attorney and low-T ads from now on.
That's funny you say that. I listen to Houston sports talk every now and then, and it seems every commercial is low-T and lawyers. Now, we have a 3rd sports talk show in the afternoons, with no news programming (which means even more of these commercials). It was really entertaining lately listen to Jeff talk about the Dallas cop trial. Nowhere to hear that kind of discussion now.

I hope he ends up on the air somewhere else, but someone would have to change format. As good as he was at talking sports, I doubt he's interested in doing a straight sports show. Especially outside of football season.
Anonymous Source
S
Cowboy Curtis said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Gig 'Em
el_scorcho
AG
Jeff and Ed were a great combo. Hope Ed sticks around.
Frozen Concoction
Ed's only good when he's a punching bag whether it was from Ward or Sgt. Sam.
AgGrad99
AG
I've lived in Austin nearly 20 years now. I used to listen to Jeff on every drive home. But since streaming on your phone became available, I've listened to another station.

Over time, Jeff became so negative/sarcastic. He acted liked everyone outside his studio was part of the general population, and he had an obvious contempt for them/us...as if everyone in the general population thought the same thing, and were comprised of simpletons incapable of reasonable thought. His schtick was so predictable. If you'd have listed the topics at the top of the show, I could tell you exactly what he'd say, and what his opinion of each was going to be.

I did like it when Ed joined him at the end of the show. But It would have served Jeff well to have another smart/informed co-host, who could have challenged him a bit. I think that would have kept my attention more than Jeff's predictable demeanor about every story.

expresswrittenconsent
Radio is dead in the insane format they (590) use. Amazing Ward lasted 20yrs. I dont think I have listened in 10.
An hour on 590 consisted of 8min of news to begin the hour and to begin the 2nd 30 minutes of the hour. So 16, min off the board. Then you have the typical 18-20 minutes per hour of ads. So for the punishment of listening to 1hr you get about 24 minutes of discussion. That's a major fail in a world with millions of podcasts that are ALL content, no news, minimal (skippable) ads, but also a world where there are now 10-15 247 cable news channels that each offer hours of similar daily content and usually with better hosts and production values.
Martin Cash
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Radio is dead in the insane format they (590) use. Amazing Ward lasted 20yrs. I dont think I have listened in 10.
An hour on 590 consisted of 8min of news to begin the hour and to begin the 2nd 30 minutes of the hour. So 16, min off the board. Then you have the typical 18-20 minutes per hour of ads. So for the punishment of listening to 1hr you get about 24 minutes of discussion. That's a major fail in a world with millions of podcasts that are ALL content, no news, minimal (skippable) ads, but also a world where there are now 10-15 247 cable news channels that each offer hours of similar daily content and usually with better hosts and production values.
Exaggerate much??
expresswrittenconsent
I dont know, you tell me. I said in the post I stopped listening a decade ago because it is a broken system greatly surpassed by podcasting. Your reading ability seems as poor as you think my memory to be.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.