How much is a parking ticket in bryan?

7,468 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by pbaldridge
terradactylexpress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
?
terradactylexpress
?
terradactylexpress
anyone? I am just curious to see if they rape people as badly as college station.
zac1976
Dont cry.
terradactylexpress
im not crying, I am upset that a parking ticket in college station is 95 when it is 40 on campus, and 40 in houston.
AggiePhil
AG
Where'd you get a parking ticket and what was it for?
terradactylexpress
over by dominick, for parking the wrong way on the street.
Pro Sandy
AG
here's an idea, don't park illegally
terradactylexpress
good idea. Completely my fault, I didn't think about it, its never been an issue back home. I am not upset about the ticket. I do however feel that the pricetag on it is ridiculously high
TMoney2007
AG
Probably because they are funding a police department in a city with significantly less population and traffic than houston, and campus is an entirely different animal.
terradactylexpress
they are funding a significantly smaller force as well. I still see zero reason for the price to be that high.
zac1976
We just like to suck money from out of towners deal with it.
Mon Dow 2000
AG
The price is still not high enough to keep people from breaking the law.

For people that want to learn more about either CSPD or BPD they should consider taking the Citizens Police Academy. This program offers tremondous insight to the operation of the Police Department and all of the activities they perform.
ryn
Its a money grab. You should know this by now. Its about the $$$ income and nothing else.
Regulus
... FYI - the FIRE department handles parking tickets - NOT the police department. Parking enforcement officers are part of the fire dept. branch.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

For people that want to learn more about either CSPD or BPD they should consider taking the Citizens Police Academy. This program offers tremondous insight to the operation of the Police Department and all of the activities they perform.

Just like Police Academy 4
browneyes
Regulus is correct. Also, the State and Municipal Courts set the fines. The police department has nothing to do with that.
terradactylexpress
Thats why I never asked a cop what the fine was, I am aware that it is the fire department.
AggiePhil
AG
We (the PD) write parking tickets too.
TLIAC
AG
The revenues generated by municipal court go directly into the City's General Fund. The General Fund provides the money to run the entire city, not just the PD. The PD, or the FD for that fact, do not receive any "commission" from fine revenues. Also, like it was stated above neither the PD or the FD have any control over the fines that are set.

[This message has been edited by thisladyisacop (edited 10/14/2007 11:44a).]
terradactylexpress
yeah I know tliac, I am not mad at the fire department or the police department nor the fact that i got a parking ticket, i am just a little upset that this ticket in this town seem to be un-reasonably high, and 100 dollars for parking on the wrong side of the road seems unfair. I now know that this is a serious offense in cs, I have always known it is against the law but have never really thought about it when i park since it was never enforced back home(houston)
TLIAC
AG
I'm actually curious now-I don't really know who makes the decisions regarding fine amounts. If anyone knows, please share. Otherwise, I'll try to find out when I get back into town.
terradactylexpress
I would appreciate anything you find out tliac
terradactylexpress
ttt for tliac
madscubafool
AG
65 dollars of the tickets goes to State Court Costs, the other 30 dollars is set by the municipal judge. Since Parked facing traffic is a Texas Transportation Code violation. If someone were to go the court, the Judge can make the city fines anywhere from 0-500 dollars. I listened to the judge explain this several times in the court today, when people where contesting their tickets. Hope this helps you out. I don't know why other cities are different prices, maybe they have a civil ordinance against parked facing traffic? Oh yeah btw, I wasn't the parking officer that wrote you the ticket. heh

[This message has been edited by madscubafool (edited 11/5/2007 8:03p).]
terradactylexpress
I see.
TLIAC
AG
I haven't forgotten about this.

I sent an email requesting information right after my last post and I have not received a reply. I've been so busy with police officer interviews I haven't had a chance to follow up. I'll try sending the email to someone else at courts and see if I get a response. I did ask someone who used to work there and was told that they are set by a committee but she didn't know who all was on the committee or what would prompt them to meet about the fee schedule.
terradactylexpress
I appreciate your efforts tliac, I didn't even ttt this one, it just somehow came back up. But thanks for your continued efforts
TLIAC
AG
Still waiting on a response from the city person that I sent my email to however, our former Municipal Court Judge came by the PD to visit today so I asked him. Realize that he has been gone 5 1/2 years but this is what he told me. He said that periodically he (then the judge) and reps from the city prosecutors office would meet and review the fines. He said that they would obtain samples from comparable cities and compare them to what was charged in CS. If they found that there was a huge disparity in the fines then they might choose to raise the fines in CS to better match comparable cities. Don't ask me what they did if they found that we were higher. He did tell me that he never once received pressure from city hall to increase revenues and that his evaluations never made a mention of fine revenues one way or the other.

BTW-he didn't know why I was asking, plus he and I have known each other for over 20 years-even before I worked for the PD so I know he would be up front with me. Plus this guy is one of the most honest people I have ever met. I'll still try to get an answer on how it is currently done but thought I would let you know that I am still trying.
TLIAC
AG
ttt - so terradac can see it
terradactylexpress
thanks tliac
TLIAC
AG
Saw your post on cop clowns after I ttt'd. I haven't given up on getting current info. I'll just have to go a different route.
terradactylexpress
I will be eagerly awaiting
pbaldridge
People aren't being fair to the OP. He never complained about the ticket, just questioned the cost, which is a legitimate question. There is no doubt that College Station, and Brazos County in general are a bit money hungry. Tickets are significantly higher here than other parts of Texas, and property taxes are ridiculously out of touch with reality. It's our fault really, we are the ones voting these people into office and then not doing anything to hold them accountable.
JavierC2005
Almost 11 year old bump. Nice
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.