Culpepper --> Central Station

16,385 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jody Smith
txdragonfly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was over in "Culpepper" yesterday afternoon and noticed that the marquee at the entrance has "Central Station" painted in block letters on the base (instead of Culpepper Plaza). That's going to take some time to getting used to...
code_dog
I know what ya mean. The Albertson's center across from Zachary will always be "Skaggs" for me.

And the center at TX Ave and SW Pkwy where the furniture store is will always be "Winn-Dixie".
TheMathGuy
This post doesn't exist.... really...

[This message has been edited by Oilguy (edited 8/26/2007 7:31p).]
TheMathGuy
And Harvey Michell Pkwy will always be 2818!
And N. Earl Rudder Fwy will always be Hwy 6!

Although.... I finally stop thinking of Kmart when shopping at tractor supply... LOL
AggiePhil
AG
Mitchell is still 2818 and Rudder is still Hwy 6. How about when Doux Chene's address was 1401 FM 2818 though?
slow-g
They sure have done a nice job fixing up the old Culper Plaza. All the women at my office are getting giddy over Kohls opening, I'm looking forward to Chick-Fil-A.
slyk
I guess I fail to see what the big deal about Kohl's is. I don't see what they carry that you can't already buy here in town.
Anyway I hope this one is better than one I visited in Katy last week. The general appearance of the store was dirty, tired and run down and not that big. Clothes, shoes and toys scattered in the isles and floors. Looks like as if the employees haven't tidied the place up for a few days.
wheelsoff
i remember when doux chene was the south part of town..now it's central..almost north central....
ro828
The Kohl's we went to in Austin was great. Wool Ralph Lauren suits from his Polo line for $180. Great prices, clean, good lighting. Hope the one here is as nice.

Just because a store is part of a chain doesn't guarantee they're all run the same. Mrs. Ro's family in Florida went to a Goody's there and it was a dump.
DisTex
AG
I went to the new wolf pen bowl and it has a new name I thought the new name was "CENTRAL STATION" might be confusing.
txdragonfly
AG
It is. Mom said something about that yesterday morning. I thought it odd, as well.
Justin2010
AG
I've never noticed before, but a lot of people drop the word Parkway when they're talking about Southwest Parkway....that bugs me.

That and the way people pronounce Wellborn. (I've always said it like the o was a u...)
agcfa
We should be opening the Chick-fil-A in March as long as permitting and constrcution go as planned. I am the franchisee and I am looking forward to getting back to CS. What else is opening in the "Central Station" plaza that you know about?
txdragonfly
AG
If any of us know it, it's on the SUMMARY C&G thread. Dollar Tree moved into the long strip and Spec's is opening this week.

Oh, and WPB is not Central Station, it's Grand Station.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
I went to the new wolf pen bowl and it has a new name I thought the new name was "CENTRAL STATION" might be confusing.

I went by there the other day too...I agree with fly, it was "Grand Station"

[This message has been edited by BEaggie08 (edited 8/27/2007 4:32p).]
aggiewholikestorun
Why do you drive on a Parkway and park in a driveway?
LocalAg95
As long as we're walking down memory lane, I can't believe noone mentioned the post office on Jersey Street!
aggie1991
oh yes, I remember the post office on "jersey street!" How many of you remember eating at these places: (if you do... you've been round a very long time!) :-)
Ft Shiloh, Monterey House, Franks Bar & Grill, Fish RIchards. And clubbing at Mickeys, Graham Central Station & TJ's??? WOO HOO!
and oh yeah... Rosewood Junction!

[This message has been edited by aggie1991 (edited 8/27/2007 9:20p).]
LocalAg95
My parents met at the Monterey House in Bryan many moons ago. Yeah, I've been around a long time!
aggie1991
ah... the fond memories..... :-) actually there was also a Monterey House in the Woodstone Center on Harvey! That was the one I went to... as "Bryan was soooo far to drive to.." Hee-hee!!
LocalAg95
quote:
Bryan was soooo far to drive to

I still say this! If they would build an HEB near Greens Prairie, I would never have to go north of SW Pkwy!
aggie1991
My hubby is the same way.... I always want to go down to Maddens or Does or Square One and he says..."All the way down into Bryan????" BUT!!! yet... he will drive us to Houston Pappa's on North I-45 or Pappadeaux on this side 290 for lunch or dinner... with no problem!! Go figure :-)
LocalAg95
Too funny, and true. He's not the only one.
LWInk2
Oh, I like playing the history game! Does anyone remember waiting outside of Wehrmann's for hours after a game to get that melt in your mouth humongous CFS that overlapped the platter it was served on? Or the cherry "false-faces" at Madeley's Pharmacy at Southside? And those pies with the 6" tall meringues at the Country Kitchen "way out" by the airport? Or what about the frosty glass mugs of root beer at the A&M on Hwy. 6?
LWInk2

[This message has been edited by LWInk2 (edited 8/27/2007 9:42p).]
aggie1991
oh gosh... now I am stumped.... hubby remembers Madeleys Pharm. I remember Country Kitchen... But neither of us remember Wehrmanns??? maybe on south college somewhere?
Anyone remember the "****-Hut?" :-)
ah oh.... I got "edited.." Oops.. sorry... but it was really called that!

[This message has been edited by aggie1991 (edited 8/27/2007 9:51p).]
rcj0618
quote:
My hubby is the same way.... I always want to go down to Maddens or Does or Square One and he says..."All the way down into Bryan????" BUT!!! yet... he will drive us to Houston Pappa's on North I-45 or Pappadeaux on this side 290 for lunch or dinner... with no problem!! Go figure :-)

quote:
Too funny, and true. He's not the only one.

And this is why we real "true residents" and not you fake "true residents" refer to south College Station as North Houston.
aggie1991
Now that IS ...too funny!!! but OH so true!!!
LocalAg95
I don't remember the pharmacy, but what about Opersteeny's burgers?
slyk
Ahh yes, the CFS's at Wehrmann's cafe. I believe it was on 25th street (now wjb) west of downtown?

The country Kitchen-as you said-famous for their "mile high" pies and the all you can eat catfish with all the trimmings.

Anyone remember "the cave room" at Ken Martins on TX ave and the "Crown & Anchor Inn out on Hwy 30 about about where Koppebridge is?

For kicks, my uncle used to sell fireworks in front of his house...at Holleman and Texas ave! (it was outside of the city limits then)

[This message has been edited by slyk (edited 8/27/2007 10:19p).]
SW AG80
AG
What a trip down memory lane. TJs was a great club were I would take a date to really impress her (if I had the $$). This was during the Saturday Night Fever craze. It worked for me--the girl I took most often is now my wife. Rosewood Junction had great HH and good margaritas. Sororieties were in their infancy in the late 1970s, and that is where the sororiety girls would go.
wurmhole
AG
Its funny that some people never go north of Southwest Parkway and just as many people never go south of campus. I generally won't venture south of campus unless there is something really compelling that I must buy. Only thing to do down there is spend money.
CDub06
AG
So much change in just a few years. When I got to CS, there was nothing on University... If you wanted to go to Texas Roadhouse, you had to park in the grass. And that was just a few years ago.

I miss Texadelphia...
aggie1991
SW AG 80: so great you remember T.J's.... one very classy and sexy club. Never got a chance to go there with my hubby....but was there a LOT myself. You and your wife and I may have known each other "back then." :-) Another great place to impress was The Texan. and do you and your wife remember "Kashims" on Texas ..in CS where Long John Silvers was?
and how bout the Sports Club? Lots of really great places have come and gone :-(

[This message has been edited by aggie1991 (edited 8/28/2007 3:50p).]
txdragonfly
AG
For you old timers...

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/mis/406028169.html
(Note that this listing is in the Personals >> Missed Connections section)

quote:
Cotton Eye Joe 1974 Peanut Gallery night club version - 50
Reply to: pers-406028169@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-08-25, 6:17PM CDT

Anyone who knows the artist was for the Cotton Eye Joe fiddle tune played in the Peanut Gallery in College Station during the summer of 1974 please contact me. I've been searching for this specific version and don't recall the artist of this record. I believe the record was LP sized, one side was instrumentals and the other side had the calls. It was a great party and dance tune.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.