Culpepper --> Central Station

16,515 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jody Smith
AC Hopper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Weingarten's grocery store was on the west side of the Texas Ave. at the curve ... where CJ's BBQ & the BINGO hall are now, & the Lilly Creamery was operating & you could win free ice cream by calling in to WTAW to name the song that was playing.
aggie1991
OMG!!! just thought of my favorite burger/pool joint.... who remembers "GRINS"? on Old College. Had THE best juicy cheeseburgers with sprouts and avacado (had to remove my rings, bracelets and watch as the juice ran down to my elbows!).... ice cold beer ... and "winning" pool tables. spent many afternoons there... on my "coffee break!" HEE!!

Don't remember the Lilly Creamery... but did enjoy many malts from the A&M creamery when they were on the main campus :-)
evermoreAg
AG
Anyone else remember the two drive in theaters? One was located at the Tejas Center site and the other where Blinn is now. Anyone remember their names?
slyk
The Drive-in off of east 29th where Blinn is was called Skyway drive-in ran by the Schulmann family. I don't remember the one at Manor east mall area.

As for the McDonalds on SW Prkway I think you are fairly correct on that date on opening I think it was the 2nd one to open here. I remember the first one opened on University (where it sits now) Sometime in the 70's. The thing I remember about that one was the menu board was written in green neon lettering-way cool!

Who could forget the Tokoyo Steak House, went there a few times. Expensive but liked the "show" of preparing your food right in front of you.

Wasn't the Deluxe Diner called the Handy Drive-In long time ago?

Sorry don't remember Grins.

Does anyone remember the flame broiled hamburger place back in the 70's? It was not too far from Bryan High, I think off of Briarcrest, Villa Maria or East 29th area. Been trying to remember the name of that place for years now.

Speaking of flame broiled hamburgers, anyone remember the "Burger King" that Bryan had that used to sit just south of Townshire center near Twin Blvd?
TLIAC
AG
I also remember a drive-in theater at the location where the Mud Lot is now. I remember Grins, too. I love this thread. Brings back a lot of old memories of places that I had forgetten about.
aggie1991
oh good... I was so hoping someone would remember GRINS.... thanks TLIAC! This IS a great thread.... some really great memories from the late 70's thru the 80's :-)
rcj0618
quote:
The Drive-in off of east 29th where Blinn is was called Skyway drive-in ran by the Schulmann family. I don't remember the one at Manor east mall area.

The drive in at the Manor East area was the Skyway Drive-in. The screen was approx. where the McDonald's is now. It moved to 29th and became the Skyway Twin.

quote:
Speaking of flame broiled hamburgers, anyone remember the "Burger King" that Bryan had that used to sit just south of Townshire center near Twin Blvd?

This was a Burger Chef. We used to go there when I was a kid after church back in the early 70s.
rcj0618
quote:
I also remember a drive-in theater at the location where the Mud Lot is now.

That was the Circle Drive-in.
slyk
rcj: I could swear that was a Burger King, Anyway...Hey! I probably ran into you up there and didn't know as we used to do the same thing!

Speaking the Circle Drive-in, what was the theater around Northgate that was infamous for lude activity?
rcj0618
quote:
what was the theater around Northgate that was infamous for lude activity?

Sun Theaters - above Loupot's.
aggieann
AG
From my childhood I have great memories of Gibson's in Redmond Terrace and Kelly's Toy Lane in Townshire Shopping Center.
FearNoWeevil
AG
Hamburgers by Gourmet in the Woodstone Center...I could use a #10 right now...
aggie1991
here's one...... On Texas...Julies used to be where Dennys is... (remember..that was where the manager was murdered??) What restaurant went in many years after Julies.... it was a chain.... I know it... but I can not think of it..... anybody??
PseudonymK
AG
I don't have a really great memory, but I wanted to get in on the sharing. We used to live in Doux Chene and the highlight of my childhood was school shopping at Weiner's in North Bryan.
aggie1991
you went "all the way to Bryan" to shop??? HEE-HEE!!!!
rcj0618
quote:
What restaurant went in many years after Julies.... it was a chain.... I know it... but I can not think of it..... anybody??

Bombay Bicycle Club
aggie1991
"DING-DING-DING-DING!!!!" you win!! that's it! thanks for remembering... I've been crazy.. trying to remember :-)
fossil_ag
AG
rcj0618 ... You mentioned the Circle Drive-In Movie that occupied the mud lot. Actually it occupied most of the area from mud lot through the Skaggs Center.

This aerial photo dated before 1950 shows how Circle name came to be. Until the early 1950s there was a traffic circle on University Drive where it intersected College Road (Right side of photo.) The Circle Drive in was later built in the open field to the northwest of the circle.

txdragonfly
AG
quote:
I don't have a really great memory, but I wanted to get in on the sharing. We used to live in Doux Chene and the highlight of my childhood was school shopping at Weiner's in North Bryan.

I worked at the CS store from spring of my Freshman year into my Junior year. And I'm not that old.
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
here's one...... On Texas...Julies used to be where Dennys is... (remember..that was where the manager was murdered??) What restaurant went in many years after Julies.... it was a chain.... I know it... but I can not think of it..... anybody??

Wasn't the murder in the Adult Video bldg?
aggie1991
actually it was in Julies restuarant.. one late (or early morning) night.... the manager was murdered.... this was the reason the restaurant closed.... now, there could have been a murder at the video store..as well... but do not recall.....

in fact , here is a link to the court decision regarding the case.... (sorry if this violates posting policy) http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&case=/data2/circs/5th/9520720cv0.html&friend=courttv

[This message has been edited by aggie1991 (edited 9/2/2007 12:39p).]
aggieann
AG
Wasn't it a Bombay Bicycle Club at the time? She was stabbed something like 47 times. Awful. I haven't been back since then.
aggie1991
no... it was Julies... and try 85 times....it was truely horrific! and it was one of my fave places to eat. :-( Bombay did not open up until early 90's. the place stayed vacant for quite awhile...understandable.

[This message has been edited by aggie1991 (edited 9/2/2007 6:11p).]
smilin bob
There was a murder in the adult video building about '99 or 2000. The murder of the Manager at the Bombay Bicycle Club happended back in the '80s. The killer's name was Terry Washington and he was convicted and executed for that crime. The Manager's name was Lashawn Mullinghouse. The story has it that the killer and the victim were playing pool in the bar when all the employees left the restaurant. When she found out he wanted to rob her and take the money she swallowed the key to the safe. This didn't stop Washington from getting the key to the safe and he killed her in the proccess. I still tell that story to my waitress whenever I go to Denny's and then watch her eyes get real big and her jaw drop.
txdragonfly
AG
quote:
There was a murder in the adult video building about '99 or 2000.

Seems to me that I'd remember that, but don't at all. I did find this:

May 30, 2002 -- http://www.theeagle.com/region/localregional/053002francenativeinjection.htm
A man convicted of robbing and murdering an adult video store clerk in Brazos County seven years ago is scheduled to be executed Thursday in Huntsville.

Stanley Allison Baker Jr., 35, has exhausted his appeals and is set to be put to death at 6 p.m. He was convicted of capital murder in the shooting death of Dolar Video clerk Wayne John Walters, 44, in September 1994.

Baker, a native of Paris, France, was on his way to the old Winn-Dixie store in College Station to kill his boss because store management had moved him to the night shift. But the day’s heat caused Baker to randomly detour into the video store, where he took Walters’ keys, shot him three times and stole his truck and about $40 from the cash register.

AggiePhil
AG
Stanley Baker

aggie1991
wow!!! a murder at Bombay also?? I missed that one. However... Bombay moved in AFTER Julies... and I know that building was vacant for quite a while. So that murder must have occurred 1989 or so. Interesting that both murderers had same name??? maybe you were thinking of the "Julies murder?? I can't find anything in the archives about a Bombay murder in college station... not that it didn't happen...just can;t pull anything up. If you google Julies restuarant murder college station.. you can pull up the story...

Here is an excerpt from the case about the murder at JULIES in 1987.... you can read it yourself on this website
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.plnavby=search&case=/data2/circs/5th/9520720cv0.html&friend=courttv

"Beatrice Huling and Terry Washington worked at Julie's Place, a restaurant in College Station, Texas. Huling was the restaurant's night manager, and Washington worked as a
dishwasher.(1) As part of her duties, Huling would count the night's receipts at the close of business, place cash in the register for the next day, deposit the surplus cash in the
office safe, wait for the dishwasher to finish cleaning, set the security alarm, and lock the restaurant. During the evening of January 14, 1987,....Huling had completed her duties and was waiting for Washington to finish......The investigation of the crime scene and the autopsy showed that Huling's hands had been tied with apron strings and that she had suffered eighty-five stab wounds, seven of which were fatal.The evidence at trial overwhelmingly implicated Washington as the murderer. The State produced evidence linking Washington's boots to an impression made in a pool of Huling's blood."
aggieann
AG
Y'all are right--it was in the place before Bombay moved in.
TLIAC
AG
I don't remember a murder at Bombay either, I think the only one in that building happened when it was Julie's Place. Lashan Mullinghouse was stabbed by Jeff Emery in her apartment (Travis House-I think) in the late eighties.
aggie1991
B I N G O!!! I think that's it TLIAC!!! was hoping to hear from you on this :-) I knew I had remembered the Mullinghouse name, but could not place it. That (Travis House) was ANOTHER horrific murder!
smilin bob
Yeah... it's been a while I guess I was confused on some of the details. Huling was the name of the woman who was killed in that building when it was Julie's place. Thanks for setting my memmory straight.
95_Aggie
AG
wow ... this thread has taken a turn for the gruesome
aggie1991
Smilin Bob.... ya had a great story! you should write a murder mystery! I especially liked the "swallowing the key.. did not stop him..." :-)

Yes, it has turned gruesome... sorry, that is my fault for bringing up the Julies murder in the first place.... We can wrap this up and say this one is solved and case closed...
SW AG80
AG
Grins was a great burger. I lived right down the road from Grins my senior year, so I ate there a lot. Saw Lyle Lovett there several times.
51Merc-98Ag
AG
quote:
case closed

The case may be closed - but that murder (actually the execution) is the one that all the Bush bashers love to bring up when they gripe about his tenure as Governor.

---------------------------------------------------
Americans for Fair Taxation!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.