Culpepper --> Central Station

16,486 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jody Smith
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where was TJ's and where was Rosewood Junction? I like hearing about these old places that have long since closed down and become something else. It's neat to be inside a building and think about what was there before the current restaurant/business.
aggie1991
well let's see... T'J's was on the 2nd floor of the 707 building on Texas... next door to On The Border. looking up at the outside stair case... you can see all those big windows... that was the club and upscale restaurant. Margarita Rocks is where Rosewood Junction once thrived. RJ was a Very "rowdy" bar! .... F U N!!!
AggiePhil
AG
Man, those places must have turned over almost as often back then as they do now. I think I remember hearing that the 707 Texas one was once called 707 Texas. And I know that the Margarita Rocks places has had several names. I can't remember what it was called when I got here in 2000 (or if it was even open), but I've heard that it was called Bullwinkle's at one point.
TLIAC
AG
quote:
Although.... I finally stop thinking of Kmart when shopping at tractor supply

Go back to that same shopping center and where the Asian grocery is now - there used to be a Piggly Wiggly.

Gibsons - it was in the Redmond Terrace Shopping Center (where Bed Bath and Beyond is now). Actually it was in the old Academy location before Academy.
Chelsea Street Pub - was in the building that was Fajita Ritas in same center with Yesterdays.
Pasta's Pizza was in the location where On the Border is now. The building was grey and looked like the roof was sinking in the middle. There was a bicycle shop behind it and David Garners Jewelers was next door.

[This message has been edited by thisladyisacop (edited 8/28/2007 7:35p).]
txdragonfly
AG
And Taste of China used to be Burton Creek Pub and an italian restaurant before that.

As for Bullwinkle's, I miss that place. We at lunch there probably two or three times a week. I never had to place an order. We'd walk in the door and before we go to our regular table, our drinks and trivia boxes were waiting for us and our kitchen order had been placed.
SlimM
AG
Ahhh...karaoke every Wednesday night at Bullwinkles...
TLIAC
AG
I did karaoke once at Casa Tomas (shopping center at Texas and Rosemary, north side) - It was definately not pretty. Never try to sing "I Honestly Love You" after several margaritas - luckily I was in a group, but it was still painful, even for the intoxicated.

Never again.
slyk
I guess I don't remember TJ's or Rosewood Junction. I do remember Kashims though.

What was the nightclub in the Post Oak mall next to Casa 'Ole back in the early 80's? Was it The Roxy? I believe it was one of Gary Seaback's places.

As for that Piggly Wiggly, it also used to be a Lewis & Coker (another groc store).

Old Redmond Terrace tenant trivia: (before remod)
I remember:
Gibson's then Academy
Ben Franklins
Gift-o-Rama
Brookshire Bros then Piggly Wiggly
Bee Hive Boutique
Redmond Terrace Pharmacy and soda shop
EOS (Engineering Office Supply)
Redmond Terrace Barber Shop
Computer Access
Pruitt's Fabric Shop and beauty parlor
Some laundry mat
Stacy's Furniture Gallery
College Station Post Office
Burdett & Sons
Jason's Deli (before remodel)

I know there were several more, any one else?

[This message has been edited by slyk (edited 8/28/2007 8:47p).]
txdragonfly
AG
There was a photography place next to Burdett. A-something?
aggie1991
I remember most of those stores.... I moved here in 1979...so some of them are not familiar. Hubby says there was a Beauty School run by the Moore family in Redman Terrace, too.
And.... maybe I am dreaming... but I thought Chelsea Street Pub was in Post Oak Mall at some time too... across from where the old Theatres used to be. Maybe before or after their Texas Ave location....?? and Yes, I think it was the Roxy at the Mall.

[This message has been edited by aggie1991 (edited 8/28/2007 9:28p).]
txdragonfly
AG
You're not dreaming. Chelsea Street was in the Mall where you thought it was when I was an undergrad.
aggie1991
HA!!! I knew it! I could have sworn I had "a few" there! Thanks for confirming my (fuzzy) memory :-)
TexasEx1994
Man, I loved Chelsea's. When did that close? Around 2000???
qreply
Anyone ever eat lunch at Woolworth's in downtown? The downstairs area was the toy section. Drop the kids off down there and shop for your stuff upstairs.

The Margarita Rocks location was cursed for years until Bullwinkles came in. I seem to remeber the place being something Junction with a train on the wall outside.

Gumby's Pizza used to be Pepe's and was always the place for hign school kids to hang out until someone called the constable to run them all off.

Archie's 39c hamburgers... tiny burgers for broke kids.

Flying Tomato Pizza..

Gah I'm drawing a total blank - what was the name of the arcade in Culpepper Plaza next to Swensen's?

And the miniature golf place just north of University.. I loved that place as a kid. Especially the motorized dog where you had to shoot the ball under his leg as it lifted up and down..

OK I'm getting old.
slyk
qreply:
The golf place was called Turf Green I believe.
The game center was called Games Galore.
Yep, the Woolsworth toy section in the basement was my hangout back then!
Archies 39 Cent hamburger joint was "THE" place to go after working at Pooh's Park until midnight on the weekends. They mimicked a lot of McDonalds items.
Scotch
AG
slyk, Redmond Terrace also had a Loupot's and a Brown Shoe Fit before both moved further south.

The Redmond I remember included Loupot's, Academy, EOS, a barber shop, Stacy's, Brown's and the post office. After the P.O. moved out, Copy Corner moved in. Then Jason's Deli moved in, maybe when Brown's moved out?
txdragonfly
AG
Oh! There was also that Rare, Used Book Store at Redmond.
AggiePhil
AG
That used book store was one of the last holdouts aside from Jason's and Loupot's. IIRC, it was a separate building right about where Cold Stone ice cream is now.
rcj0618
How about Townshire in Bryan with Sears, Woolworth's, Jarrot's Pharmacy, Kelly's Toylane and the Safeway?

Or Manor East Mall when JC Penney, Beall's, Montgomery Ward, The Fair, Orange Julius, The Gap, Music Land, etc. were there?

Bullwinkle's/Margarita Rocks was originally a place called Confederate Railroad. Mama's Pizza was briefly there also.

That old building with the sinking roof that TLIAC referred to was originally a bbq joint called Oakridge Smokehouse.

The old Fajita Rita's was a place called Rebel's.
TLIAC
AG
Don't forget Pooh's Park at Texas and Holleman - Water park and skating rink.

J. D. Wells in Woodstone, can't remember what was in that space before Wells??

Wasn't there a place called Beef n Brew or something like that in the Taps location?

There was also a house on Villa Maria between Texas and South College called Super Spuds.

This is fun but it makes me feel old.
Justin2010
AG
Anybody remember Beetle's Barbecue?
evermoreAg
AG
For a number of years the ____Hut actually had several different names but it was always called the ____Hut because the new managers always kept the same waitresses.

And for years, there was a little mom 'n pop grocery store at Northgate.

When we moved here 29th Street was a narrow gravel road from Villa Maria to Rosemary. It stopped at KBTX. And, I remember many people saying that the new Consol High School was way, way too far south.
slyk
Yes on the Beetles. I believe they had 2-3 locations at one time. One by the courthouse and one (I think) at Villa Maria west at fm2818 in with that Shell station and maybe another.

I think the Beef n Brew was around the other corner of Woodstone behind where Shivers currently is,but it could've been where the Tap is too.

Super Spuds? I don't remember that. Is that building where Shapers is?
I remember there was a Planet Pizza (or Pizza Planet) there.
evermoreAg
AG
Ok, think of the location of Western Beverages on University. What was the name of the discount department store next to it? Was it Fed Mart? Later that location was the first (temporary) home of the Bush Library and it's been a series of clubs since then.

But there was a time when TJs was THE place to go for lunch, dinner or a juat a drink.

Anyone remember Clayton's Restaurant (I think) near the corner of Texas and Villa Maria. It's been a series of bank for years.
slyk
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Yes it was Fedmart

Yes I remember Claytons, I think it turned into the Captains Table after that.
evermoreAg
AG
Now think downtown Bryan stores. Caldwell's Jewellers (where the average age of the clerks was about 82 and someone was always re-stringing pearls), Conway's, Edge's, The Fabric Shoppe, Central Texas Hardware, Court's, Vick's, Carnegie Library, TWO movie theaters, three banks and no parking spaces. The streets were wide and people just sort of pulled up in the middle and left their cars.
slyk
Since we lived in CS, we didn't venture much into downtown Bryan, I do remember there being a Sears store, Perry Bros, K Wolens and Woolsworth and maybe a JCPenney. Was it Bryan Bottlers down at the far end? The two movie theaters were the Palace and the Queen.
What were the three banks? First National was one. Edit: Oh yea I think First Bank & Trust was another.

[This message has been edited by slyk (edited 8/29/2007 11:34p).]
evermoreAg
AG
First Bank and Trust had moved to the new building on Texas. But you had First City and First National across the street from each other.
TLIAC
AG
Super Spuds was in an old house east of Pizza Planet, actually it was east of Cavitt. I think it might have been in the building that sells pottery now?? They had the biggest spuds I have ever seen - would make three meals for me.
txdragonfly
AG
I remember Montgomery Wards in the old Manor East Mall.
rcj0618
I really miss La Taqueria (where La Bodega is now). My wife and I went there often when we were dating in the late 80's.

RayRay99
AG
The old Beetles BBQ at WJB and Texas is getting refurbished and rumor has it that the owners of the former Deluxe Diner are opening a burger place there.
aggie1991
Aahh...so someone does remember the S___ Hut :-) It was located where the Deluxe Burger building is now. How bout the Tokoyo Steak House on Texas and Daves Seafood and Steak on the corner of Texas and Holloman... went out of business and Toms BBQ took over the building. and Oh yes, Jose's "way out" on highway 30... about where the new Koppe Bridge is now.
555-PINF
I remember that Jose's well. As as kid, I was fascinated by the fake parrots hanging around. We'd always like to sit in the back by the glass windows so we could watch for frogs and stuff in the evenings. We'd do the same at Fort Shiloh, too.

I still can't drive by the new location without hearing the "chop chop chop" of the cleavers and recalling the smell of Randy Simm's BBQ.

Does anyone remember when the McDonald's on SWPKWY & Texas opened? I remember going to McCoy's when it was on the loop (where that office supply place is, now, if I remember correctly) and cutting my leg on something while jacking around in the yard. For whatever reason, I remember going to McD's after that and I *think* it was at SWPKWY & Texas and *think* it was fairly new at the time. I'm guessing I couldn't have been more than four or five, so maybe 1982 or 1983. Could be way off on that, though - I was little and that was a long time ago...
aggie1991
I LOVED that Jose's, too! It felt like you were eating in some "exotic Hide-away." I had hoped after it burned they would just rebuild in that same location. I have not even been in the current location.... like you... can't get past the "BBQ" thing.

not sure about Mickey D's..... not a big fan of them.. sorry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.