What is the Reed House along George Bush

26,466 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PS3D
Dan Scott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate the owner of this land. The city needs to take his land away so they can build more fastfood, gas station, walgreens or cvx or a supermarket. I live off Luthur and Marion Pugh and Im tired of driving all the way to Texas or across the tracks to get gas or food.
BurnetAg
Because its all about you. Good to know
ScotchTape
Pretty sure that's A&M owned property.
Pro Sandy
AG
Yeah! Let's take this land away from the university and put in a new McDonalds! Then we can tear down the Academic building and put in a Whataburger! I hate having to drive all the way to Dominik for a whataburger!
TLIAC
AG
I thought that the chancellor or someone like that lived there????
CDub06
AG
Who thought up Navasota? It interferes with my drive to College Station! What good does it do? Tear down Navasota and move Conroe closer to CS! I hate my hour drive!
ScotchTape
Yup, A&M owned property:

http://www.aggiefans.net/users/twelfthag/propertymap.jpg
TLIAC
AG
quote:
Who thought up Navasota? It interferes with my drive to College Station! What good does it do? Tear down Navasota and move Conroe closer to CS! I hate my hour drive!

What does Navasota and driving from Conroe have to do with the Reed House?

[This message has been edited by thisladyisacop (edited 4/15/2007 5:32p).]
ScotchTape
One outrageous statement deserves another...
TLIAC
AG
Okay - duh.
CDub06
fossil_ag
AG
To my knowledge the Reed House is the residence of Dr. Michael D. McKinney, Chancellor of the Texas A&M University System. At least, that was the purpose for which it was built a few years ago.

You might have better luck suggesting an apartment complex or two on Marion Pugh be torn down and replaced with a Dairy Queen.
Dan Scott
AG
It just pisses me off that when I want fastfood I am only left with McDonalds or Wendys. For all the people that live in this area we should have more selection. My biggest complaint is the closest Walgreen is all the way on Brentwood and Texas. That is too far
95_Aggie
AG
T R O L L
Pro Sandy
AG
Perhaps you should have thought of this before you moved there? Or even better, in a capitalistic society, build your own!
A Net Full of Jello
AG
As a resident of Meadow's Point, I second the idea of tearing down a complex on Marion Pugh. Can it be Callaway Villas? They really jacked up traffic.
W
AG
help may be on the way...

Jones-Butler from 2818 to Holleman is almost finished, and then construction from Luther thru the horse pasture to Bush is supposed to be next. Not sure of the exact timeline.

Maybe we'll get some commercial development on J-B somewhere
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
It just pisses me off that when I want fastfood I am only left with McDonalds or Wendys. For all the people that live in this area we should have more selection. My biggest complaint is the closest Walgreen is all the way on Brentwood and Texas. That is too far
When I was in school and lived in Treehouse, we didn't even have McDonald's and Wendy's over there.
W
AG
side note...how about that new avocado/maroon paint job at Tree House?
FogDog
AG
quote:
Jones-Butler from 2818 to Holleman is almost finished, and then construction from Luther thru the horse pasture to Bush is supposed to be next. Not sure of the exact timeline.

The City of College Station is working with TAMU on aquiring the right-of-way to build Jones-Butler Road through to George Bush Drive. The city has been trying to do this for over 5 years, but it seems like we're getting closer to an agreement.

This roadway should significantly improve traffic in that area.

Also, there is an vacant tract of land on the southwest corner of Luther and Jones-Butler Road. The city's comprehensive plan shows it for retail...one can hope that it will develop that way.
fossil_ag
AG
Develop as you must ... but don't mess with the burial spot of President Lafayette Lumpkin Foster in the horse pasture at the intersection of Marion Pugh and Luther.
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
T R O L L

Emphasis needed to be added.
BurnetAg
I miss the days of when this town was only developed out past southwest parkway. My how times have changed. We are becoming a a mini Woodlands
txdragonfly
AG
Until we get an Aveda and Sephora, we are not a mini-The Woodlands.
Lekner XII
AG
God forbid we become The Woodlands.
DuctTape
Become like The Woodlands - I wish.
AgDotCom
Extending Jones-Butler to George Bush was first proposed in 1997 when Melrose Apartments was being developed. The Melrose TIF was established at that time to give Melrose some financial assistance on the J-B section between Holleman and Luther, primarily due to the fact that Treehouse Village hadn't built J-B and/or should have at least shared in the cost. Also, Treehouse Village had not improved its share of Luther Drive when it was built in 1984.

When the J-B extension to George Bush was proposed in 1997, based on what I heard Ray Bowen killed the deal because he didn't want "another Wellborn Road going through campus". I think we all now realize how important it is to get some north/south access to the west campus.

By the way those of you interested in Jones-Butler Road are going to be disappointed when it dead-ends into the future 2818 frontage road and only allows you to go west on 2818. This will happen when the 2818 overpass at the railroad is under construction. For that matter, J-B may be blocked off in the next month or so similar to the way Luther Drive @ 2818 is now. IMO the 2818 overpass needs to be extended past Jones-Butler to make it a true north / south thoroughfare and perhaps ramps need to be added to allow traffic on J-B to go both directions on 2818. Money is the issue and given the tight transportation funding problems right now I can accept the fact that it might not happen. That said, it still needs to happen due to our already lacking north / south traffic infrastructure.

As for retail development on Jones-Butler I just don't see it happening if the scenario in the above paragraph plays out. It's a shame, too...because when all of the land in the triangle formed by George Bush, 2818 and Wellborn Rd. is built out to the zoned densities, I think there will be approximately 8,500 residents within that triangle. Look for some of this retail demand to be handled by the retail center at SW Parkway / Wellborn, and perhaps a future retail center on Wellborn north of Holleman on a 4 acre site where the Twin City Mission second hand store is. There is also neighborhood development potential on the new Woodlands of College Station site as well as the corner across from it on 2818.
Jabberwocky
AG
quote:
Develop as you must ... but don't mess with the burial spot of President Lafayette Lumpkin Foster in the horse pasture at the intersection of Marion Pugh and Luther.

--
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
kraut
AG
quote:

Hasn't this grave moved once already when they built the MSC?
fossil_ag
AG
President Foster succeeded Lawrence Sullivan Ross as president of TAMC. Foster died in office December 2, 1901. He was buried on campus (the only president buried on campus) in a location designated as the college cemetery. Over the years about 12 other faculty and staff members were buried there.

In 1939 during construction of the 12 southside Corps Dorms, the cemetery was relocated to a site "west of the tracks" to make way for Duncan Dining Hall which was built near the old cemetery location.

The location of the cemetery west of the tracks was in the corner of TAMCs horse pasture. Although three persons were buried in the cemetery in about 1943, for the most part President Foster and the other remains were "lost" for many years. The cemetery was discovered a few years ago after a search by university archivists at the intersection of Luther Street and Marion Pugh. A fence, an appropriate marker and a bit of landscaping were added so I deem it now a respectful final resting place for a very student oriented former president. (And being located within earshot of Kyle Field and Olsen Field, President Foster's little field of honor is superior the proposed Aggie Field of Honor west of 2818.)
kraut
AG
Thank you fossil_ag for correcting me! I knew they were moved, just wrong about where they were to begin with....

From your last little quip, I take it you are not a proponent of moving these graves to the new cemetery?
555-PINF
Wow, fossil. That reminded me of the old Lafayette Lumpkin Foster posts from BeBop.

"Sleeping on guard duty was once considered a serious offense."
fossil_ag
AG
kraut ... Of course I have no say in the matter but my personal feelings are that the remains should be allowed to rest in peace. I have visited the little cemetery and consider it a peaceful, pleasant place. Plus, it has established a history of its own.

In addition to President Foster, the persons buried there include professors and wives, food service workers, janitors and the infant child of a friend of mine (buried in 1943.) That is a good cross section of the TAMC family and it should be a lasting monument to the various stations in life that worked together to mold Texas A&M into a world class university. That little cemetery is the only site on campus that in a small way honors members of the administration, academia and the many ordinary workers whose lives have been dedicated to building Texas A&M. That small plot of pasture is hallowed by their presence.
kraut
AG
Very well said, fossil_ag.

I do know the current plan is to move those graves to the new cemetery - I will talk to the people I know about reconsidering that plan.
fossil_ag
AG
There comes a time and circumstance when honorable men must say NO to developers. That little spot of ground is about 60 feet square and a giant oak tree shades the grave of President Foster ... I estimate the age of that tree to be 68 years old ... probably planted in 1939 when the cemetery was moved from its original location.

No other building, monument or marker remains on the TAMU campus of those earliest days of A&M College's struggle for existance ... except for the mortal remains of the original 12, that are by now intermixed with the soil at that site.

We must honor that ground as a remaining symbol of our Legacy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.