Homicide in Northgate

22,655 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Anchor
brown5cow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know anything new?

From KBTX at the moment:

"The College Station Police Department is presently investigating a homicide that occurred in the 100 block of College Main. Several streets have been closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. College Main, Lodge and Tauber streets are closed between University Drive and Church Ave. Pedestrians are being directed to use the protected cross walk at Nagle St. in order to cross University Dr. onto the TAMU campus. We will have more on this story as it develops."
A Net Full of Jello
AG
That is so scary. Do we know if it was a student at A&M? Are there any other details?
91_Aggie
AG
That's it for details right now unless TLIAC pops on to tell us more.
AggieSarah01
AG
I was wondering what was going on. I just drove by there and there was police tape everywhere and a camera guy and policemen standing around.
drewbie
AG
with all the previous incidents, i wouldn't doubt if it's an international student
Wildmen03
AG
I doubt it, people get assaulted ALL THE TIME at Northgate, it happens unfortunately. But you only hear about it if it's an international student that got assaulted, and that's a small portion of it all.

[This message has been edited by Wildmen03 (edited 4/5/2007 8:47a).]
OceanStateAg
AG
From CSPD: At this time, only College Main from University Dr. to Church Ave., and Lodge St. from University Dr. to Church Ave. remain closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic
o3
quote:
I doubt it, people get assaulted ALL THE TIME at Northgate, it happens unfortunately. But you only hear about it if it's an international student that got assaulted, and that's a small portion of it all.
If no one ever hears about it, how do you personally come across that information. Are you a police officer?

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."
Redstone
AG
My cousin used to be CSPD.

He says the areas behind NG is a well known "hot spot" for criminal scum who travel between Houston and Dallas because of the high proportion of people who have English as a second language that live there. Most of them don't report crimes.

I don't know in this case, just sayin'.
Wildmen03
AG
quote:
If no one ever hears about it, how do you personally come across that information. Are you a police officer?

No, but if you have spent any time out at Northgate you'll see fights and stuff out there all the time. And it's usually drunk white guys fighting each other.
treloni
Actually, I was talking to a CSPD friend of mine yesterday about the Northgate area, and he said that compared to some other parts of town, the Northgate area is relatively quiet, and this is BECAUSE it's mostly international students. I could be wrong, since I didn't ask directly, but I got the impression that most of the stuff that happens on Northgate occurs in the bar areas, and not so much in the residential areas. (Which is a relief since I live in the Northgate residential area). From personal experience, I can say that most people who LIVE in the area are pretty low key and tend to keep to themselves. The people who tend to cause problems typically aren't the residents.

Case in point: the area they are investigating is right in front of the Groove/Hookah bar, not where the international students/I live.

-Treloni
NITESIDE
I saw it about 7am this morning. I didn't know there were that many Cops cars in the whole of Brazos County.
txdragonfly
AG
Right, so RUMOR from some girls that were leaving Logan's last night/this morning and saw police then...stabbing at V-Bar.
squirrelhunter
Northgate is a hotbed for petty crime like bike theft and auto breakins.

I lived in the Newport Condominimus across from St. Mary's for 4 years. In that time my car was broken into, my roomates car was broken into and both of my roomates had bikes stolen, one in broad daylight on a Sunday and the other by an international student who lived across the way.

We got that bike back because he was foolish to lock it up outside his front door after he put a new front tire on it. So we fired up the dremel and cut his lock off, took off the new tire he had put on it and brought it in. The next day, the damaged front tire which was originally on the bike which we could not find magically appeared on our doorstep.

I never saw any violence on Northgate in the bars or near where I lived however.
Teach me the way
This also is rumor... a friend of mine said that a few guys were kicked out of V-bar and waited until close and stabbed a bartender or two. One was ok but the other died either in the ambulance or at the hospital... I don't know how true this is but thought I'd pass it along
Teach me the way

[This message has been edited by Teach me the way (edited 4/5/2007 10:24a).]
Capt Dan
AG
Seems like a long time lapse from the incident to the investigation, but what do I know?

Especially if they know that much about it already.
emgee
So now the RUMOR is that twin brothers who turned 22 last night were both stabbed at or around V bar and that one of the twins plays basketball at Rice. The some of the police markers/pins etc were outside my son's classroom window which faces the back of Vbar.
JerryHughesYourDaddy
Jonathan Bailey played basketball at Rice, was born on April 4, 1985. Also has a twin brother named Janson.

[This message has been edited by AllDayAP (edited 4/5/2007 11:06a).]
Leslie
AllDayag, this is sad but it could be a match.

Did you ever get my response about your Chilifest pictures...BM is the guy in the first picture you posted. Do you know him?
JerryHughesYourDaddy
It was a random picture, we've seen him there before and wanted a picture of the mullet. I dont know him personally.
ooshwa
Staff
AG
more story...

http://abc40.com/Global/story.asp?S=6330698
AggieSunrise
AG
quote:
Fight at College Station Bar Ends in Murder

April 5, 2007 11:06 AM CDT

by Emily Allen

COLLEGE STATION - A fight at a Northgate bar turned deadly early Thursday morning after one man pulled out a knife and stabbed two men.

College Station Police tell ABC 40 it happened around two Thursday morning at the V-Bar on College Main. They say twin brothers from Spring got into a fight with at least one other man. The fight carried outside, where one witness said more men joined in. The suspect allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed both of the brothers.

Both men were taken to the hospital, where one was pronounced dead. Police say there are unconfirmed reports that the man who died is a Rice University basketball player.

Police believe there may be at least two suspects involved who took off. After hearing reports from witnesses, they believe they may have tracked down at least one suspect.

ABC 40 will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.
AlphaBean
AG
Amazing graphics...

ooshwa
Staff
AG
FROM CSPD...

On 4/4/07, at approximately 01:45 A.M., Officers from the College Station Police Department responded to the 100 block of College Main in reference to a possible gunshot victim. Upon arrival, officers located two stabbing victims in the 100 block of Lodge St. The victims, who are twin brothers, were transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital by College Station Fire Dept. personnel. One of the victims was later pronounced dead. The other victim is undergoing treatment for multiple stab wounds. The deceased person has been identified as:

Jonathan Bailey
W/M
22 years of age

The surviving victim has been identified as 22 year old, Janson Bailey. The preliminary investigation reveals that the victims had been involved in an altercation with some other subjects inside the V-Bar located at 110 College Main. All of the persons were asked to leave the bar, however a fight between the subjects soon broke out in front of the bar. The fight between the victims and several other subjects continued east-bound down Patricia Street, eventually ending up in the 100 block of Lodge St. where both victims were stabbed. The suspects then fled on foot east-bound towards Nagle Street.

College Station Police detectives responded to the scene and continued the investigation. Information collected at the scene led detectives to the location of the possible suspects. At approximately 10:45 A.M. two suspects were located and are presently speaking with detectives. Police are looking for no other suspects at this time.
The case remains under investigation and no charges have been filed at this time.

Questions regarding this news release may be directed to:
Lt. Mark G. Langwell, Public Information Officer
College Station Police Department
P. O. Box 9960
College Station, Texas 77842
Phone: (979) 764-6356
Fax: (979) 764-3468
Pager: 226-1706
Email: mlangwell@cstx.gov
AgDotCom
Growing up here I will tell you that never in our expanded imaginations did we think anything like this could ever happen in this town.

The first shocking incident to come along was the Tim Merka "good samaritan" incident in the late 70's that just made everyone's jaw drop incredulously. Later on there would be sporadic homicides...sometimes one two per year, sometimes we'd go 4-5 years without anything happening. I remember another shocking one was the Blue incident where a girlfriend was set on fire at Varsity Apartments, that also fell into the "can't happen here" category. I also remember the Texas Coin Exchange robbery was similar to a social earthquake for B/CS.

Compared to other cities these incidents have been relatively few. But times appear to be changing.
aggrad90
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

To: News Media Representatives

Date: April 5, 2007

Subject: News Release: Homicide Investigation Case #07-003833

On 4/4/07, at approximately 01:45 A.M., Officers from the College Station Police Department responded to the 100 block of College Main in reference to a possible gunshot victim. Upon arrival, officers located two stabbing victims in the 100 block of Lodge St. The victims, who are twin brothers, were transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital by College Station Fire Dept. personnel. One of the victims was later pronounced dead. The other victim is undergoing treatment for multiple stab wounds. The deceased person has been identified as:

Jonathan Bailey

W/M

22 years of age

The surviving victim has been identified as 22 year old, Janson Bailey. The preliminary investigation reveals that the victims had been involved in an altercation with some other subjects inside the V-Bar located at 110 College Main. All of the persons were asked to leave the bar, however a fight between the subjects soon broke out in front of the bar. The fight between the victims and several other subjects continued east-bound down Patricia Street, eventually ending up in the 100 block of Lodge St. where both victims were stabbed. The suspects then fled on foot east-bound towards Nagle Street.

College Station Police detectives responded to the scene and continued the investigation. Information collected at the scene led detectives to the location of the possible suspects. At approximately 10:45 A.M. two suspects were located and are presently speaking with detectives. Police are looking for no other suspects at this time.
AggieSunrise
95_Aggie
AG
So why were Rice students celebrating their birthday at Northgate on a Wednesday night? Just seems kinda odd ....
drewbie
AG
one of the twins goes to a&m
95_Aggie
AG
gotcha ... makes sense now.
ryn
it sucks that this happened but i am glad that it wasnt a mugging or some random attack.

does that make sense? hope i dont offend anyone..
TexasRebel
AG
This must be a nightmare for Janson...
drewbie
AG
quote:
it sucks that this happened but i am glad that it wasnt a mugging or some random attack.

does that make sense? hope i dont offend anyone

it makes sense to me
fossil_ag
AG
quote:
The fight between the victims and several other subjects continued east-bound down Patricia Street, eventually ending up in the 100 block of Lodge St. where both victims were stabbed.

The report seems to indicate a gang of attackers chased the victims down, probably cornered them, and may have held them helpless as the designated killer delivered his fatal stabs. I hope the bar had adequate video footage so that all participants and passive onlookers can be readily identified, chased down by the police, cornered and hog-tied helpless until charged as accessories to murder and punished.

Northgate bars are a magnet for skunks and drunks. Wide-open-anything-goes bars have no place inside the limits of a civilized city and particularly within a densely populated housing area. Shut 'em down, move 'em out, bulldoze that festering sore.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.