Homicide in Northgate

22,928 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Anchor
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, but someone mentiond that things around here are changing...

I just wonder how much of the extremely rare violent crime that has happened here has been caused by people who just stumbled into town randomly or by people who had just come for a day or two...as opposed to residents and serious enrolled students.

...and then what does that number look like in other comprabale towns?
95_Aggie
AG
This was murder #1 for 2007. There were 0 in 2006 (according the the Houston Chronicle).

I don't think we should go into a panic, just yet ....
TLIAC
AG
Murders:
2007 - 1 (as of 04/06)
2006 - 0
2005 - 2
2004 - 1
2003 - 2

NoACDamnit
There's a lot more to this story to come out. It's not sounding like anyone is completely innocent here.
aTmags
quote:
There's a lot more to this story to come out. It's not sounding like anyone is completely innocent here.

People get drunk.
People fight.
It would not surprise me to find out this was one group of drunken fools defending themselves against another group of drunken fools.

I'm reserving judgment somewhat. This very well may be one of those cases were no one is innocent and no one can be proven guilty either beyond a "reasonable doubt".
Cage_Stage
AG
quote:
ยง 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in
using force or deadly force against another to protect a third
person if:
(1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably
believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31
or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against
the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes
to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
(2) the actor reasonably believes that his
intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

If the attorney cited in the Chronicle is to be believed, and the twins (and others) were stomping Fuller's head and taking his wallet while he was on the ground unconcious, then Johnson would be legally justified.
fossil_ag
AG
F W Ag 01 .... Rule Number 1 in the universe. Never listen to what a defendant's attorney says about his client. They always and forevermore claim their client is innocent and being unfairly treated ... even when caught with a smoking gun or a bloody knife.
Jabberwocky
AG
The attorney quoted in the Chronicle is Fuller's lawyer, not Johnson's, unless I misread.

--
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
TexasRebel
AG
It is the alley part that gets me...how did both parties end up in the alley?

It's Northgate between 1:30 and 2:30 am...why would lethal force be necessary to defend yourself when there are people (and probably police officers) within shouting distance.

My guess, only knowing what's been in the news and posted here, is that somebody brought a knife to a fistfight...just to be sure they didn't come out on the downside of things.

If it truely was marines v. basketball players like it sounds...things don't make sense. Aren't marines trained to be able to defend themselves without using lethal force? What is the story on these guys military status?
phunkykomedina
quote:
It is the alley part that gets me...how did both parties end up in the alley?

It's Northgate between 1:30 and 2:30 am...why would lethal force be necessary to defend yourself when there are people (and probably police officers) within shouting distance.

My guess, only knowing what's been in the news and posted here, is that somebody brought a knife to a fistfight...just to be sure they didn't come out on the downside of things.

If it truely was marines v. basketball players like it sounds...things don't make sense. Aren't marines trained to be able to defend themselves without using lethal force? What is the story on these guys military status?

On Wednesday nights there are never a lot of police on Northgate. They arrive on Thursday and leave Saturday. I have no idea who is right or wrong, but from what I have read in the papers, it was one marine against several guys. The other marine pulled out the knife after the heard of people had already beaten the other marine until he was unconscious. Supposedly the marine pulled the knife to defend his unconscious friend who got the junk kicked out of him. It also says that the group took the knocked out guys wallet.
TexasRebel
AG
so...a couple of basketball players were able to take out a marine?

Does that not bother anyone else?

there's is too much of the story that we're not getting...like how did everyone end up in the alley...

The only judgement I'm passing, is that the night was full of horrible judgements and decisions...nobody was right and everybody pays...
aTmags
quote:
so...a couple of basketball players were able to take out the unarmed marine?

fify
J. Walter Weatherman
if you have seen the pictures of guy that got stabbed on facebook you would understand how he and his brother were able to do that kind of damage. he looks like a body builder. the guy that was arrested isnt even 6 feet tall.
TexasRebel
AG
it didn't need fixing...

are we really sending folks who can't fight without a weapon to fight a war?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude...this is actualy quite shocking news to me!
Cage_Stage
AG
There aren't many individuals that will win fist fights against 2+ people. Fuller's attorney seemed to indicate there were more than just the twins beating his client.
Teddy KGB
AG
quote:
are we really sending folks who can't fight without a weapon to fight a war?

The military does not stress hand to hand in training. Although, I think they are moving towards more emphasis on the subject.

But they do teach you how to shoot. It's a lot easier to kill with a rifle than your fists.
CT'97
AG
Every Marine get's hand to hand training from boot camp on up. But you aren't in a hand to hand mindset when you are on Northgate hanging out with your buddies and probably half way drunk.
ryn
i wonder if any of the V-bar bouncers or other staff helped with the beating of Fuller. It wouldnt surprise me because you know they would favor the twins.
tmanAg08
AG
And how, pray tell, do we "know they would favor the twins"?

[This message has been edited by tmanAg08 (edited 4/7/2007 1:58p).]
TexasRebel
AG
one of the twins used to work at V-bar...
roycoy
I saw a picture of Fuller (after the incident)on the KPRC news and he was jacked up pretty good. By looking at the picture, it makes me think both parties were equally as guilty and a very unfortunate event occurred as a result.
Cage_Stage
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/stories/040707/local_20070407043.php
quote:
According to court documents, Fuller told police that he was kicked and punched by a group of people that included the Bailey brothers and that his injuries were so severe that both of his eyes were swollen shut. Fuller was treated at College Station Medical Center and was released.

quote:
According to the reports, Fuller was in line at the bar when Janson Bailey was "humping up on his leg." Fuller then pushed Janson Bailey, who in turn punched Fuller in the face, the documents state.

TexasRebel
AG
quote:
When questioned by the police, Johnson said he was intoxicated at the time of the fight, which started insideV-Bar, according to documents. He said he did not recall making "contact" with anyone with his knife.
CS Dude
quote:
I saw a picture of Fuller (after the incident)on the KPRC news and he was jacked up pretty good. By looking at the picture, it makes me think both parties were equally as guilty and a very unfortunate event occurred as a result.

Can you post this picture? What exactly was the picture of? A mugshot or what?
roycoy
It was not a mug shot, but face shot showing facial injuries. I tried and looked for the picture on the news website but found nothing. I will try some other news website.
Jarhead96
quote:
Murder is never acceptable. However, I think to say crime in CS is out of control is stretching it. This is the first murder we have had since 2005 and that year we had 2.

as a cop, you should know better to announce a verdict before a trial
Vander
AG
This case is going to be a total cluster****. After hearing how everything basically went down, no one is innocent. There are no victims in this case as it basically just seems like a bar fight that got out of control. I suspect all parties were quite drunk and probably not thinking rationally, hence the attempted robbery, assault and murder.
ryn
quote:
And how, pray tell, do we "know they would favor the twins"?

because they are his coworkers and buddies. of course they are gonna jump in on his side.
TLIAC
AG
quote:
as a cop, you should know better to announce a verdict before a trial

I did not say he was guilty - I was merely giving a statistic. Regardless of the outcome of a trial (if there is one) it will stay on our records as a murder because "someone was murdered". The case still has to go to a Grand Jury before the suspect can even be tried. Don't put words in my mouth.

[This message has been edited by thisladyisacop (edited 4/8/2007 10:16a).]
95_Aggie
AG
oops .... thisladyisacop just owned someone.

[This message has been edited by AGnCS (edited 4/8/2007 10:20a).]
Stupe
S
That someone would be Jarhead96
aggrad90
yes I would say that was ownage.
Jarhead96
touche...re: putting words in your mouth

however, as I understand from the Beagle and KBTX, this MIGHT be a matter of self-defense, right?

[This message has been edited by Jarhead96 (edited 4/8/2007 11:42a).]
csmotorcop
It might be but I would take everything you see in the news with a grain of salt. The media can ruin a story about a one person rock fight in a gravel pit. Be patient, it'll all come out in the wash or it could turn into a circus like OJ. Time will tell.
Stupe
S
College town.
College basketball player from another town.
Marines.

This is going to be a media circus, I'm afraid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.