Raising Canes

19,137 Views | 227 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DigDogDoo
Redstone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bottom line is Chicken Express is the best.

Anyway, the fries and the sauce are better at Layne's.

The toast, the strips, the drink options, the atmosphere: Cane's. Weird thing is their sauce is sort of Layne's, but to me it really tasted like salad dressing.
Señor Chang
AG
Their chicken was pretty average.

Their bread was good except it had the little seeds on the crust which I don't really like.

Their fries were not very good

Their sauce was better than Layne's imo

It was overall pretty good and I would go back.
BosAG06
AG
Is their sauce as peppery? From what people are syaing it seems more mayo-like. I like the burn of the pepper personally.
Deats99
AG
Would it be rude to go buy chicken express tnders and then swing by Layne's for some 25 cent extra sauces????
BosAG06
AG
That's funny I have gotten an extra sauce and didn't use it so I brought it home then a few days later cooked some tyson chicken tenders in my stove and used the sauce. Chicken was not as good but the sauce made up for it!

[This message has been edited by A_Boswell (edited 6/7/2006 11:34p).]
Jock 07
AG
damn you sure did get your Ag Tag quick; if folks over on the football knew how fast you got it they'd be pissed
BosAG06
AG
Why is that? Does it usually take a while? I think it only took 2 days after I requested it.
ORAggieFan
quote:
I have heard chatter of either a new store or a move to SWST pkwy and Wellborn. Haven’t been over that way in a long while so if another restaurant is there don't slam me. Just something I thought I remember hearing.
I too have heard they will be opening a 2nd location here.
meteoag
Ate there today for lunch, no flavor to chicken. Thought they would have something other than just chicken but alas nothing but chicken strips. Oh well it will be Chicken Express for me from now on.
redd38
AG
I would like to add validity to the rumor of a second location for laynes. I've heard it straight from Mike's mouth.
The Gobbler
Went to Cane's today...The sauce was better, the strips were better, the fries were better, the building didn't feel like I was in the presence of white trash and the chicken strips were double the size of Layne's.

Translation: I won't be going back to Layne's.

[This message has been edited by The Gobbler (edited 6/8/2006 4:12p).]
Finn
AG
I just like how he ran out of post and had to wait 24hrs to only come back for more.
95_Aggie
AG
Went through drive through on the way home.

Fast & very friendly service
Strips were tasty
Sauce was very tasty
Fries were OK
Bread was great
Didn't like slaw. (but I don't like slaw period).

Overall grade: A

Will definitely be going back.
msaggie98
AG
I have to admit, I went by Cane's today and thought it was better than Layne's. I'll be a repeat customer now.
Aggie
AG
Went to Canes today....

- strips were not as good as Laynes(not alot of difference though), they were bigger however

- Fries were terrible at Canes.very small skinny fries.Laynes are much better

- Cole slaw at Canes were terrible...Laynes potato salad is much better

- Bread at Canes is better than Laynes Texas toast

- Sauce is similiar but Canes is thicker..here Lately the sauce at Laynes has been sort of runny..

- atmosphere and employees. obviously different in this area..if you want laid back college atmosphere go to Laynes..if you want upper scale, very clean goto Canes. As far as employess go..we all know good help is hard to find and Laynes has had some very unfriendly "I dont give a crap attitude" employees..at Canes last night..they had about 10 employess their..more than half of them were sitting with their friends in the dining room doing nothing

- dont remember the prices..but Canes is more expensive

overall the food is similiar..I prefer Laynes..I will probably goto Laynes 4 outta 5 times

[This message has been edited by Aggie (edited 6/9/2006 11:25a).]
Carib_DVM
Definately better than Layne's, the chicken is fresher and juicier and the service is 100 times better, service in itself makes it worth the trip over Layne's.
tlepoC
AG
my report from today:

fries were the best i have had in a LONG time
chicken was VERY juicy and fell apart in my mouth
toast was awesome
the sauce is better at laynes..caynes does not have the same kick

here is the kicker...it took 8 minutes from time of order to getting the chicken in my car. this is the reason i hated laynes but if caynes can't do any better.....??? as a plus the servers were VERY friendly and kept apologizing....but since its fake i dont really care
corndog04
AG
I made it through the Cane's drive-thru in less than 2 minutes yesterday. I guess it's all about timing.
schlomo
Gobbler

You are a *****.
vurt
Where did they hire those numbnuts that work at Cane's? It was like a shortbus of employees.

Despite their handicaps, they were still more pleasant than Laynes.

+ Tenders, toast, drinks were better.
- Sauce tastes like 1000 Island, fries aren't special, and it's as loud as fark in there.

While I don't like eating out of a mobile home (what Laynes feels like), it comes down to the sauce. I don't like Cane's salad dressing sauce.

Laynes just needs to license their variation of the sauce and call it a day. Then we can win/win.
The Gobbler
schlomo,
How's the job at Layne's treating you?
schlomo
not even close kid
BosAG06
AG
Ate laynes tonight. Went through drive thru. 2 cars ahead of me took 9 minutes to get through. Not too bad. Strips were pretty good size...I got full, so no camplaints about them being too small. The workers were kinda rude. I mean they usually are but I would think they would try to be a little more caring and nice since they actually have competition now. I guess they will try the "lets not change" thing for a while and see if they lose business or not.
The Gobbler
schlomo,
You sound like a bitter bitter person. Calling someone dirty names because they disagree with your opinion on chicken strips. Gotta love it!
BosAG06
AG
Why does this forum cause so much controversy?
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Why does this forum cause so much controversy?

ironic .....
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Boswell,

how on earth are you eating chicken strips so much? either you are a part owner or are have chicken finger fetish like no other.

i can not believe a thread about freakin' chicken strips has lasted this long.

but for my .02, Laynes does need to step it up.
BosAG06
AG
quote:
how on earth are you eating chicken strips so much?

1.College Student with no money..lot of food for cheap
2. I think I have a fetish with the sauce
AgStone
Not been to Cane's but will never go back to Laynes. Last time I was there one of the workers kept coming out of the kitchen and "re-arranging himself" if you know what I mean and then head back in to check on the food. Not a clean place and certainly not clean employees.
1876er
AG
it obviously didn't kill you. whats the problem
jmar2226
AG
Chix Exp wins in a landslide decision.
Jock 07
AG
Yes gravy is better than that crap they serve at laynes and would venture to say caines also but haven't eaten there yet
drivinwest
AG
Just ate there and had to put in my two cents.

Food was hot and fresh. The strips are a little bland, but it is a chunk of white meat chicken so that's to be expected. It was juicy and when dipped in the sauce (I liked it) had a good flavor.

The crinkle cut fries were crispy. Cole slaw was pretty meh, but I didn't expect much from a fast food place. Toast was great as was the sweet tea.

I really liked the interior. Anyone notice the fans? Nice that they took the time to put up some local artwork.

Cons:
Service was so-so, but I'm willing to give them a pass since they just opened. The lady at the counter messed up the register (just ordered a simple combo meal) and she had to call a manager over. Not a big deal, but a little annoying.

They also need fresh cut lemons for their tea.

Lastly, the workers need to cut down on their enthusiasm level a notch or two. It's not necessary to scream "Welcome to Cane's!!!" when someone enters the restaurant. That's been overdone by many restaurants and is simply obnoxious.

Overall, I liked it and will be going back.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
It's not necessary to scream "Welcome to Cane's!!!"

Better than BYE THANK YOU
Goose06
AG
I had Canes the other day...

Chicken: Different from Laynes, but I cant decide which I like better
Sauce: I definitely like Laynes' better
Fries: This is the one thing I do not like at Laynes, so I give Canes the edge here.
Toast: I thought it was better than Laynes
Slaw: Id rather have more chicken & fries/toast like you get at Laynes than some slaw.

Overall, I like Canes probably a little more than Laynes, but Laynes is a little cheaper and you get more for your money. I will probably continue to eat at both establishments.

[This message has been edited by byron06 (edited 6/15/2006 9:29a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.