Raising Canes

19,133 Views | 227 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DigDogDoo
BosAG06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

quote:
Considering you have less than 10 posts and didn't use a single marker to indicate some sort of sarcasm why would anyone not take you at face value?

Thanks for making my point for me. I had never been sarcastic from day one. But people as yourself who have had nothing but negative comments, continued to take my words way out of proportion and put things in my mouth. Thanks for your concern though.
cone
AG
Here's a thought. Take the fact that Cane's is moving in as a challenge, and use that challenge as motivation to improve.

That's not so bad, right?
BosAG06
AG
quote:
I don't like chain resturants anymore than the next person and would hate to see all the small mom's and pop's gone, but why is in wrong for Cain's to locate there? What does ethics have to do with Cain's picking that location?

As stated by someone else earlier, canes has been known to do this in the past. It's just the whole name sounding the same and the exact same food that has sparked the controversy if feel. Also as I said earlier I think there are many better locations they could have picked...but it seems they are trying to pull laynes customers(I know thats business from earlier opinions). All I am saying is they picked that location for one reason only. They know people going to laynes will see it and become curious in hopes they will choose canes over laynes.
NoACDamnit
Which is it?

quote:
I was making a point that some people need to stop taking things out of context and exgaggerating it to the extreme. That is exactly what I did

quote:
had never been sarcastic from day one.

You don't get to have it both ways.

You posted some bombastic over the top crap with NO markers that you weren't being serious and ZERO history on which to draw to reach such a conclusion.

Why in the world would we NOT take you seriously?
BosAG06
AG
"use that challenge as motivation to improve"

Thats what upset me earlier. I don't see why people thinks laynes is so bad. I have been going there for 5 years and have never had a bad experience. Sure the wait is long sometimes, but tell me a good resturant in this small town with 40,000 students that doesn't have a wait. I know one thing, everytime I have eaten at laynes the food is always scorching hot,fresh and wonderful. That means way more to me than potholes in the drive through or old paint on the building.
Deats99
AG
Still suggest that she needs to hop on the highway. With or without a vehicle is up to her.
collegestationaggie
Bos, there is nothing unethical about locating near a competitor with the goal of driving them out of business.

Sometimes they ever artificially have introductory low prices.

Evil and mean.

Companies since the stone ages have done that. I will bet that in the late 1800's and early 1900's the auto companies located sales outlets in small towns and were probably near the horse and buggy stables.

They were also meanies.

NoACDamnit
quote:
I know one thing, everytime I have eaten at laynes the food is always scorching hot,fresh and wonderful. That means way more to me than potholes in the drive through or old paint on the building.

Good for you! Keep eating there. Meanwhile many others that don't choose to dine in disgusting squalor will have another option.

If Layne's continues to try to pass off the way they keep the place as "unique environment" rather than DOING something about it, they're going to get blown out of the water.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
but tell me a good resturant in this small town with 40,000 students that doesn't have a wait.

Caines
cone
AG
Boswell,

Maybe you should double up and go at least twice a day to help make up for any lost business.

quote:
I know one thing, everytime I have eaten at laynes the food is always scorching hot,fresh and wonderful.

Man, this made me laugh. So how exactly are you affliated with Layne's?
cone
AG
Oh, and BTW, rather than say "everything is fine" with regard to open and constant criticism of Layne's present state, you might want to say "we're committed to customer satisfaction and now evaluating ways in which we can better serve all of our patrons"... that way you don't come across as lazy and condescending.

hth

[This message has been edited by SuperDave03 (edited 6/5/2006 10:20p).]
51Merc-98Ag
AG
Ate at Cane's today.

Not impressed.

Can honestly say that I will be going to Laynes from here on out.

Way too loud (I guess I am an old fart) - and more importantly, the food was not as good.

But, to each their own . . . .
Padfoot
Man, you people have some weird facsinations with chicken strips! Does it really matter? I mean, is this really a life altering experience to chose between Cain's or Layne's?
BosAG06
AG
Nice to hear from everyone again...TexasAggie 07...nice one with the caines...how would you know...they have not even been open for 24 hrs..I know you like pushing my buttons, I have to say I got a laugh out of it. Thanks for putting a little humor in the situation. To SuperDave...I am in no way affiliated with Laynes, just love the place..maybe too much..they probably would have fired me with some of the comments I have made so far..I just might start eating there 2 times a day though. Meatball, nice to know caines isn't impressing everyone. And to my favorite comment so far...Padfoot..who really semmed to give all of us a reality check! Why are we all arguing over chicken strips? As one said earlier, to each his own. We are all Aggies and should maybe lighten up, including myself. I do have to say I love Laynes and have many friends who also do, so if they get put under it will be a sad day for us all who love the place. It will be hard to go into caines to get "laynes" if you know what I mean. Anyways I have reached my 24 hour limit on posting b/c I am a weakling rookie. So that is why this is so long..sorry. Go ahead and comment and I will catch everyone on the flip side. Again my apologies for last nights post for those who were upset by it. I will learn to be a better TexAG..just need a little practice.
Gig-Em'
Nom de Plume
AG
5 pages and we JUST got to opening day. I'm sick of chicken already.
victory
AG
was going to Canes around lunch yesterday but way too crowded, decided to go to Laynes. Waited in the drive thru for almost 20 minutes, only 2 cars in front of me. Its time for Laynes to step it up.
Vander
AG
quote:
Sure the wait is long sometimes, but tell me a good resturant in this small town with 40,000 students that doesn't have a wait.

There are plenty of excellent College Station restaurants that almost never have a wait (Coco Loco, Koppe Bridge on Harvey, Mi Cocina on Wellborn, etc.). Of course going to these restaurants actually means drifting away from restaurant row where the waits are typically attrocious.

I like Laynes as much as the next guy, but if Canes has a shorter wait, I will never go back to Laynes again. Hell for that matter, I will go to Canes simply because their drive through doesn't have freaking potholes.
cone
AG
quote:
Waited in the drive thru for almost 20 minutes, only 2 cars in front of me. Its time for Laynes to step it up.

Whoa. BIG surprise there.
Aggie
AG
quote:
I like Laynes as much as the next guy, but if Canes has a shorter wait, I will never go back to Laynes again. Hell for that matter, I will go to Canes simply because their drive through doesn't have freaking potholes

agreed..Laynes needs to use this as motivation and step up their game..otherwise I think you will gradually see more and more people drop Laynes for Canes....
Laynes definatly needs to fix their drive thru and parking lots....

as far as the long wait at Laynes...I have been there before and theuy were quick..I have been other times and they were not busy and I waited for 15 minutes at the drive thru..and I was the only car there..that bugs the hell outta me

If the food is similiar and Canes has better service..I will goto Canes 7 outta 10 times
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Ate there for lunch today:

First off - - TURN THE FREAKIN' MUSIC DOWN!!!

Now then, how to compare the two places....

Chicken strips - draw. They are chicken strips. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Sauce - Advantage Layne's. Cain's sauce didn't have that "nasal-opening" power as a friend put it.

Fries - Advantage Cain's. Thinner and crispier crinkle fries than Layne's (who are sometimes greasy).

Side - draw. Cain's coleslaw is good. Layne's potato salad is good. I guess it depends which you kind you prefer.

Toast - Definite advantage to Cain's. Their toast is a thicker bread toasted on a grill. Very good.

Other - Cain's had honest-to-God napkins! Not those tissue paper things Layne's has that you need a dozen of just to wipe your fingers.

Price - I think you do get more for your money at Layne's. 5 strips for $4.52 compared to 3 strips + drink for $4.59 or 6 strips + drink for $7.99 at Cain's.

Atmosphere: advantage Cain's. There were people constantly bussing tables and making sure the condiment table were clean. However, the music was too loud, forcing everyone to talk louder, which was just not good. A friend had a good suggestion: lose the radio and put in some tv's.

All-in-all: I think there were enough pro's and con's each way that neither place clearly comes out ahead.
BosAG06
AG
Any bets on how long it takes Laynes to put in an intercom system in their drive thru? From what some say about being the only car and taking 20 minutes it would not make a difference, but I think it would help if there was more than one car in line. It's good to see laynes at least can hold up to the food quality though from the reports. Oh and I applied for my ag-tag...still don't have it. Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by A_Boswell (edited 6/6/2006 8:26p).]

[This message has been edited by A_Boswell (edited 6/6/2006 8:27p).]
collegestationaggie
Ate at Cains today. I thought the chicken was thicker and tastier as Laynes seems always to be thin and much smaller. I like coleslaw better than potatoe Quail salad.

The nise was way, way too loud. With the concrete etched floor and complete metal/hard surface walls and ceiling I felt like I was in a dance hall. I was waiting for someone to begin a two-step.

I won't be going back too much if the noise level doesn't change. I go at lunch to relax not feel like I am in a crazy bar.

It sure was a lot cleaner which is far from Laynes. I have seen guys pick the trays up at laynes from the table w/o even wiping down the table.

Overall it's a push.
BosAG06
AG
I've seen a few people talk about the cole slaw/ potatoe salad thing. I don't really care for either and laynes will let you either get double fries or double toast. I hate their fries so I always get double toast. Sometimes I will even get the chicken sandwich. 1 less piece of chicken but no fries and only $2 and some change. Does anyone know if caines will substitute coleslaw foe double toast? That would be nice since GiveEmHell said their toast is way better.
AtascocitaAg
AG
My observations from sinning today and eating at RC:

-sadly, the chicken is better than laynes. Layne's has been slipping lately.

-the french fries can't touch layne's

-the sauce is an obvious copycat. similar, though no where near as good as layne's.
06thMan
AG
Went there yesterday...food was good but not really any better/worse than Laynes.

Same:
-Chicken, fries(smaller), bread(diff size)
-Can substitute extra fries or bread
-Sauce is exactly the same
-Sweet tea

Diff:
-A little more expensive
-No potatoe salad

Being that they have pretty much the EXACT menu does anyone know which was opened first and did one of the owners just straight up copy the other one??
BosAG06
AG
I heard this story the other day and DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS TRUE...just hearsay..so don't hold me to it.Here we go.. Laynes and the guy who opened caines used to be buddies/partners in C.S. The guy who owns caines wanted to make a chain out of it , but the owner of laynes didn't. So laynes stayed local and small while the other guy went off and made it big. It almost makes since besides the fact they used to friends and now one is trying to put the other under...how could 2 companies be so similar? Like I said..this could be complete horse crap and if you think so...throw the b.s. flag.
cone
AG
Let me be the first.

BosAG06
AG
HAHA! But I do ask the question..how is it so similar? I tried to make the sauce myself one day. yeah yeah call me a loser..took a extra sauce home...I put miracle whip,worshtershire sauce, ketchup, tons of pepper, and seasoning salt. Very close buta little bland. I found laynes uses a special very fine pepper, not the regular table pepper. Plus they use a certain seasoning.You can see little red specks of something. I am no where near a chemist but it must have taken serious research to perfect that stuff. How did caines do it if they didn't have an inside hand? I do hear though it is a little different from laynes.
jagouar1
AG
i finally tried canes tonight and the stips i got were about 2x as big as the ones ive gotten the past 2 times at laynes (over the last few weeks)

fries were better at laynes though (they are very small at canes)

i actually preferred the french toast sytle of bread at canes but thats not a big deal to me. the potato salad/slaw issue doenst matter to be.

canes is a bit more expensive (but they include a drink)

[This message has been edited by jagouar1 (edited 6/7/2006 9:25a).]
BurnetAg
i think we will be trying canes tomorrow.

anyone have their prices?
06thMan
AG
i think i paid $5.99 for a #1 (chicken, fries, bread, drink, slaw, and 1 sauce)
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Now that Canes is open and people are able to compare the two places, I hope we all can at least agree on one thing:

That this competition will make both places go a little farther to improve their products.

Because you know who benefits when healthy competition spurs updating and upgrading? Us.
Burger
AG
Went to laynes yesterday and the owner (mike?) was looking at some autocad drawing and was sitting with a contractor, so it seems they are looking at remodeling or something along those lines.

[This message has been edited by Burger (edited 6/7/2006 6:52p).]
Deats99
AG
I have heard chatter of either a new store or a move to SWST pkwy and Wellborn. Haven’t been over that way in a long while so if another restaurant is there don't slam me. Just something I thought I remember hearing.
BosAG06
AG
I know C&J BBQ is loacating there. They have a sign, but have not opened in the new shopping center @ SWPW and Wellbord. Maybe they should look into that but it doesnt look like there would be a place for a drive thru.(or as some might say a "bounce thru" with the potholes)

[This message has been edited by A_Boswell (edited 6/7/2006 8:12p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.