Raising Canes

19,127 Views | 227 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DigDogDoo
aggiechamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nope!
Diggity
AG
i finally got a chance to visit the raising canes on the west side in houston. I have to say, I was pretty impressed. Very cool building with nice little touches on the architecture and decorating. Friendly staff too (not the meathead looking northside kids that used to work laynes when I was in school)

Like it's been said before, the menu is nearly identical. the only minor differences are the fries and the toast. The fries are still the krinkle variety but they're skinnier than the ore-ida's laynes uses. They also use more of a french bread style toast that tasted more like garlic bread than laynes (personally, i prefer laynes's toast) Other than that, the chicken, sauce, ice-tea, hell oven the ice were all about the same. The main difference was the ambiance...where cane’s definitely shines.

I just wish they had one inside the loop so i could go there on sunday afternoons to cure my hangover.
Maise
AG
the food is exactly the same, but i can't imagine cane's having the 20 minute drive-thru wait or the walk through the employee only section to get a refill. i liked canes where i've had it, and i like laynes in cs. but the food was the same to me, and canes didn't feel like a rundown college place that didn't give two ****s if i ate there or not.
falconace
hey so since the laynes manager is on here, are you guys getting a liquor license? you have the taps on the wall... i think the lack of alcohol may hurt.

also, i think that caines made a huge mistake in picking their location. If they would have gone to ng, they would be banking... but unless layne's line is ridiculous, i dont think they will get nearly enough business next door to them.
aggiechamp
maise - when is the last time you have eaten at layne's? I have been there for 5 years now and the customers have never been able to get their own refills.

We will never ever serve alcohol again at the walton location. We have out grown our building tremendously and have no room for alcohol anymore. I wish we did! With that said...all of our customers can bring in there own beer. Not selling alcohol is the best thing for our customers because YOU can bring in your OWN beer. I promise it is cheaper on you as a customer to bring in your own beer than buying it over priced at a restaurant. Drink all you want while you eat! Just remember you must be of age.
Humorous Username
AG
Layne's is the sh*t. Although, can you make the fries a little skinnier? I'm a child of McDonald's skinny fries, although now I don't eat McDonald's anymore.

Gig 'em
redd38
AG
It was right around 5 years ago when they stopped letting people get their own drinks.
falconace
i think you should advertise the whole byob thing, maybe get a sign or something... ive been a loyal customer for over 3 years and never have i heard/seen about byob to laynes.
Diggity
AG
i really don't see the whole BYOB thing working for a place like Laynes, which is essentially fast food. There's a difference between ordering a beer or two at a place like layne's or freebirds and actually taking the time to bring your own stash.

The reason places like Mi Cocina do well with BYOB is that its a sit down restaurant that's conducive to birthday parties and other events where you can expect to stay an hour or two.

maybe that's just me though
Johnny Aggleseed
06thMan
AG
Any news on when its opening?? I've been out of CS for a few weeks so I can't just drive by...
JerryHughesYourDaddy
its open already.
Scuba da Pirate
slowest opening EVER. pathetic.
jagouar1
AG
well thats good to know... i went by last week (or the week before) and it still looked closed. it was faily early (7pm or so) and all the lights were off.
lancevance
quote:
slowest opening EVER. pathetic.

slow as in?
Scuba da Pirate
as in: it's looked ready to open for WEEKS, but yet it's STILL not open.
jagouar1
AG
^
|
so is it still not open? your post inferred that it is still not open.
JerryHughesYourDaddy
there were a good number of cars in the parking lot today. could just be sightseers though.
jagouar1
AG
or training staff....

ive seen quite a few cars in the lot during the day but i drove by last week and it was dark. ive been wanting to try it out here (been once to the one in houston and it was pretty damn good)
Chase
AG
Went by Caines for the third time tonight...although folks keep saying its open, dead closed every time I've been by. Neon not even on, no signage in the drive thru, etc. Ate Layne's and it was great!
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Went by Caines for the third time tonight...although folks keep saying its open
That's why folks say it's open for folks like you
jeepwranglin01
AG
thats funny, i ate there today. the chicken tenders were good, but i didnt like the sauce as much. they were giving away beer too (2 per person) since they dont have their liquor license yet.
txdragonfly
AG
quote:
when is the last time you have eaten at layne's? I have been there for 5 years now and the customers have never been able to get their own refills.

Not as frequent as when I first ate there around 7 years ago, but when I was in there just 4 months ago, I saw at least a half a dozen customers walk behind the counter and get their own refills.
collegestationaggie
I used to get my own refills about twice a week at Laynes and I have only been in CS about 3 1/2 years. Probably not done it for the past 2 years or so.
BosAG06
AG
I am so sick of the crap people are giving Laynes! Stop being 2 %' ers. Layne's has served us for many years, and they have done a damn good job at it. It is wrong of canes to put their business right next door. If you haven't learned...Lanyne's prides itself off of being a much laid back "get it yourself" business. I like that atmosphere. It's kind of the Aggieland way. Does the Chicken shine your shoes when you walk in? Layne's is the greatest. Laynes's is like an Aggie Tradition(not to mention the greatest chicken and sauce). I am class of '06 and we need to make an effort to teach the young Aggies true Aggie traditions. If we don't do our job, we can count on Aggieland becoming like every other college. In conclusion, support the people who have served us and made us happy and stop being so critical on every bad aspect. Oh and by the way..chicken express? Give me a break...why don't you eat a pile of horse crap you damn yankee. Chicken Express is what t-sips eat!
BosAG06
AG
Oh and by the way, I like getting my own refill. It keeps me from having to wait in line. Some people are so lazy!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
"I am class of '06 and we need to make an effort to teach the young Aggies true Aggie traditions. If we don't do our job, we can count on Aggieland becoming like every other college."

Since you're obviously a young 'un, let me clue you into something:

You are talking about f***ing chicken fingers, not Bonfire or standing at Kyle Field. It's completely ridiculous to shout "If you eat at Canes instead of Layne's, then Old Army's gone to hell!"

quote:
"Chicken Express is what t-sips eat!"

That's really interesting, seeing as how there is not a single Chicken Express location in the city of Austin.
hank92
AG
The market will decide. Caines can open up anywhere they damn well please. If you like a more laid back atmosphere, go to Laynes. If there are enough people it will stay open. I myself am not supporting a "business" because they have been profiting off of Aggies for years. I support a business because they provide a service or product that I enjoy. If said business stops doing it right, I will move on (see Tom's BBQ, another "tradition"

Lovely Day for a Guinness
cone
AG
quote:
stop being so critical on every bad aspect

Dude, that's totally what customers are supposed to do. The business thereby recognizes its weak points and works to mitigate them.

You know something I associate with Aggieland? Good old conservative capitalism. Layne's can either learn to deal or take the hit.

[This message has been edited by SuperDave03 (edited 6/1/2006 10:02a).]
dave99ag
AG
Chicken Express is owned by Aggies here in CS. They also serve Dublin DP at the Wellborn location. Can't go wrong with that.
Fish Pond Manager
Freebirds just opened up a new location two doors down from Mex-N-Go, an Aggie owned business.

Are we going to go ape**** over that and start boycotting Freebirds?
Aggie
AG
quote:
I am class of '06 and we need to make an effort to teach the young Aggies true Aggie traditions.

should we make a handbook telling them places it is ok to eat at??

seriously...get over it
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
quote:
Stop being 2 %' ers.

Boswell needs to take a powder or something. I bet he is an uncover nazi.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
I am class of '06

new army has truly gone to hell
jeepwranglin01
AG
wow this is funny! great thread!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.