How did you prep for your SAT back in the day?

1,539 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by halibut sinclair
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Could you have used a little help to get a better score? Let's hear your stories about what college prep and your test taking day was like in your day!

Avant Garde College Prep Services started in 2012 as an Aggie-owned, local business, helping local high school students navigate their college prep journey with personalized college counseling, test preparation, college application and essay guidance, and extracurricular development.

We provide a comprehensive suite of resources to help our students shine among the best! Through the years, our services have expanded to help others within Texas, and have grown to assist those nationally and internationally, ultimately placing students into some of the most elite colleges in the US. Our motto is "Redefining College Prep," and we continue to push the boundaries each year as we continually expand the range of our services.

With our primary focus on high school students, we seek to help college freshmen at Texas A&M with one of the first challenges they will encounter - the Math Placement Exam (MPE). Our MPE Quick Prep course is designed EXCLUSIVELY for Texas A&M students, providing them with invaluable instruction to gain entry into Math 151, an essential academic requirement for most STEM majors and other fields

Why choose our MPE Quick Prep course?
  • Get Ahead: Challenge your child and give them an educational advantage.
  • Fast-track your learning: Cover essential material in just 10 hours!
  • Expert Instruction: 15+ years of teaching mathematics through Calculus III.
  • Foundation for Success: Ideal for engineering, technology, science, math, economics, and business students.
  • Lower Tuition: Bypass introductory math courses and save on tuition costs.
  • Thorough Review: We cover number systems, algebra, geometry, and precalculusessential for Math 151.

Take our quick 25-minute diagnostic and unlock valuable insights about your student's progress. Sign up now and receive a FREE consultation to understand where your student stands in their preparation journey.

You may also learn more about dates, times, and registration from our website: http://avantgardeprep.com.

Robb Jenson
Owner & Independent College Consultant
Avant Garde - College Prep Services
http://avantgardeprep.com
robb@avantgardeprep.com
College Station, TX 77845

AggiePhil
AG
I didn't. Just went through the study guide the night before. Same for the GRE. Could've done a lot better on them, I'm sure!
AvantGarde-CollegePrep
That's awesome that your situation worked out for you. I approached my SAT and ACT in a very similar manner in the late 90s. With my GRE, I gave a little more effort and actually bought a book for it to study from.

Unfortunately, the college admissions landscape has undergone significant changes in recent years. The increasing number of applicants to colleges, combined with the impact of COVID-19 and the rise of test-optional policies, has made the process more challenging for many students. "Winging" it on test day is indeed not an ideal approach, especially for those aiming for competitive scores.
BCS-Ag
I heard SAT and ACT aren't weighted as much for college anymore. Is that true?
AggiePhil
AG
I don't believe the GRE is even required for grad school anymore.
BryanPooch
I didn't prep and don't think most of my friends did. But it was a long time ago. My public high school in a smallish city had 3 of the top 9 scores in my state.
BryanPooch
AvantGarde-CollegePrep
BCS-Ag said:

I heard SAT and ACT aren't weighted as much for college anymore. Is that true?
That is not necessarily true. Very few schools are that transparent in releasing the actual data, but those who have, their data shows a definitive advantage toward those applicants who do submit scores.

Basically, if you have the means and access to material to improve your scores, your scores are expected to fall in line with the middle 50 of their reported scores. Also, keep in mind, application numbers for almost all colleges have risen 20-25% since the introduction of test-optional, making it even more challenging for students to get into the college or major of choice.

Smeghead4761
I don't remember doing any prep. My parents actually had me take the SAT before the PSAT so I'd know what to expect on the latter. I got a 1420 and never took it again.
wadd96
AG
I didn't. 730 math, 570 English... Don't remember the essay.,.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Smeghead4761
If that '96 is your class year, there wasn't an essay. The essay was added in 2005, and removed in 2016.
wadd96
AG
I remember writing an essay for one of them... Might have been the ACT..
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
halibut sinclair
Zero prep except for taking the PSAT. SAT day was the Saturday morning after Friday night football. A lot of us were a little hung over. I think I got a 1600. Different times.
maroon barchetta
You think you got a perfect score but aren't sure?
halibut sinclair
maroon barchetta said:

You think you got a perfect score but aren't sure?

Sure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.