Best fresh seafood in BCS?

3,958 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Tailgate88
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to fry some fish this weekend. I'm trying to catch it tomorrow morning, but in case we strike out, where's the best seafood market? HEB? I assume if we buy it'll be catfish.
jja79
AG
Is that seafood?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I want to fry some fish this weekend. I'm trying to catch it tomorrow morning, but in case we strike out, where's the best seafood market? HEB? I assume if we buy it'll be catfish.

Pro Tip. Dont buy catfish from the sea. YWIA

J/K. HEB is pretty good but you need to obviously be on your toes. The snapper and cod are usually pretty good. Freshwater trout as well.
Yes. Catfish is seafood. Unless you're a smartass. Or a yankee.
Thisguy1
I just wanna fry some fish and drink some beer. Salt water, fresh water. I don't care. Fish is seafood to me.
histag10
AG
Readfields
DimeBox17
AG
We've bought the huge farm raised catfish filets from Readfield's before and they were good.
VAXMaster
AG
histag10 said:

Readfields

Does Readfields carry fresh fish? All I ever remember seeing there is frozen fish. The only decent fresh fish we've found in town so far has been at HEB.
histag10
AG
Section327Ag said:

histag10 said:

Readfields

Does Readfields carry fresh fish? All I ever remember seeing there is frozen fish. The only decent fresh fish we've found in town so far has been at HEB.

My experience with HEB fish is that it is frozen, and then they thaw it to put it in the display. We asked if they had any of whatever we were needing and they said we could just grab the frozen ones, because that's what they use, they just thaw them out and open the packages.
Thisguy1
I thought about Readfields and was in there getting some meat yesterday but didn't see any catfish, but I didn't look terribly hard. It is all frozen, but I'd feel better buying it there than the frozen section at one of the bigger stores.

We're about to head out now to try and catch a few cats but will probably hit up HEB if we don't get any.
happyinBCS
HEB is the best by far and they do have FRESH seafood if it was previously frozen the have to disclose that
AggiePhil
AG
Readfields only sells it by the box if you need a bunch of it. They have US or imported. I actually recommend the imported, as the US ones I recently got were extremely fishy tasting (in a bad way).

I just get it from HEB now myself.
BurnetAggie99
Same here I usually hit the HEB butcher booth and had good luck with fish and seafood. Same with their Steaks usually have good price on USDA Prime cuts.
dogowner
Basically all commercially caught fish is instantly flash frozen on the boat.
CS78
Coming from a guy that eats a lot of catfish, I'd buy tilapia before catfish. Problem with commercial catfish is they don't remove the fat layer on the outside. That's what gives it the strong flavor.

Thisguy1
It doesn't fry up as well either. Got skunked so we hit up HEB. First batch I left it on and it didn't fry well and was soggy on that side. Second batch it was removed and was much better.

I was pleased with it all though. Bought 4 fillets of catfish and a couple flounder fillets and cut them into strips. I'll buy again. Probably just under 2lbs of fillets for about $14.
harrierdoc
AG
Glad you got your fish fix.

No freshwater fish is seafood. Seafood comes from the sea. And I'm no yankee, but rather born and raised on Texas coast.
Thisguy1

AggiePhil
AG
If catfish isn't seafood, is it poultry?
harrierdoc
AG
2 things:
1. I looked it up and it seems that folks that live near a sal****er coast tend to understand seafood differently than people that grew up inland. For the majority of the US, who don't grow up near a coast, the language is understood that "seafood" does encompass all creatures that live in water that aren't plants. In the UK, that definition is different, since so many folks live near the marine coast. So, if you grew up away from the coast, you would understand that word differently. So, you were certainly correct in that use. I learned something. I've always differentiated the two.

2. Just for your info:
https://psychcentral.com/relationships/narcissist-arguing

4. Ridiculing you

Those who live with narcissism may find it difficult to hold positive and negative feelings for someone at the same time. As a result, things may get heated in an argument. You may experience insults, put-downs, and even mocking behaviors, like laughing as you express hurt.

Some examples include:

"That's stupid."
"You're so crazy."
"There's something wrong with you."

Thisguy1
I'm going to be honest with you. I've got a great buzz going on the golf course right now so i may have misinterpreted that post. If I understand that correctly you're calling me a narcissist for thinking it was silly people felt so strongly about catfish not being seafood. Correct me if I'm wrong (again).
maddiedou
AG
I do not believe catfish is seafood either I could be wrong but does the word sea not mean it is saltwater is there a sea I do not know about that is fresh water

Seafood. Tuna. Salmon. Crabs. Prawns
shrimp. Redfish.

I do not consider catfish seafood but I know absolutely who can figure this out for us. Post on Outdoor board

Edit for salt water Ha
halibut sinclair
sal****er

Ha
jja79
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Yes. Catfish is seafood. Unless you're a smartass. Or a yankee.

Neither. Always thought it was fresh water fish.
Hornbeck
I'll eat salt-water fish but not fresh water for the most part. I consider catfish something I don't eat.
BaronDeBishopville
The Seafood Platter at Pappadeaux comes with catfish fillets
VAXMaster
AG
Well according to HEB all but two varieties of fresh fish are "fresh never frozen" including the catfish. The Ahi Tuna and Chilean Sea Bass are both labeled "previously frozen".

Incidentally, they label catfish as "seafood".
MS08
AG
OP was just looking to fry some fish! Next!
Tailgate88
AG
Poche's has a website and menu posted now.

https://pochesseafoodshoppeandrestaurant.com/
tbone94
AG
whoa. thats some menu. when is it opening?
EBrazosAg
AG
Great menu. Horrible location- at least for the next 3 years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
Oh dang, that menu looks really good. Actual Gulf seafood!

So re the "shoppe" part, will they have an actual fresh seafood market as well? I would brave the horrible traffic and roadwork for that!
Tailgate88
AG
tbone94 said:

whoa. thats some menu. when is it opening?
I don't know... it's not imminent, from the looks of things. Signage is up but work still to do before they will be open for business.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.