Tomatoes

6,836 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by pacecar02
rrose
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know if the person on 1179 is doing tomatoes this year?
toolshed
AG
His operation is scaled way back, he got rid of probably 2/3 of the beds. I am assuming with the bad drought year last year he has hung it up as far as the retail operation goes. But I could be wrong.

Dang it, now I need fresh homegrown tomatoes!!
rrose
AG
Those tomatoes sure made some good salsa
DimeBox17
AG
I know the man's grandsons so I'll see if I can find out and report back here.
woodiewood1
woodiewood1
Tailgate88
AG
Paging Maddidou...
maddiedou
AG
I lost quite a bit from the rain. But hopefully they will start turning now I will keep you posted

maddiedou
AG
DimeBox17
AG
The man on 1179 won't be selling any tomatoes like he has done the past few years due to cutting back his garden. Said if he has enough to sell, he'll put a sign up.
FlyRod
I'm having the best tomato crop I can remember in years, and I'm only mentioning it because I'm optimistic the folks selling large amounts will have good harvests too! The folks I talk to at the farmers market also sound optimistic. I've already put away multiple jars of sauce from my own little patch. Happy tomato hunting!
maddiedou
AG
I will be selling just had the setback with the rain but probably not till June 6 or later
maroon barchetta
maddiedou said:

I will be selling just had the setback with the rain but probably not till June 6 or later
maddiedou
AG
Tailgate or maroon or both . Do yall want some free tomotoes this weekend to try out

They ahould be some turning red and I can pick and let yall try. The first ones have been a little mealy but are getting much better with the no rain
maroon barchetta
Heck yes!
maddiedou
AG
This is just two of my plants that are putting on

And text me next weekend. I also should have potototes and cukes that I can give

war hymn aggie
AG
maddiedou said:

This is just two of my plants that are putting on

And text me next weekend. I also should have potototes and cukes that I can give

Gary,
what variety of tomatoes have historically yielded the best crop for you?
Also noticed that you use red christmas balls to keep the mockingbirds away. Plan on doing this myself this week, as my tomatoes will soon be ripening.
Tailgate88
AG
Yes sir!! Be back I town tomorrow afternoon!
maroon barchetta
maddiedou
AG
I plant celebrities

I have no clue if the red balls work or the snakes

I started the snakes about 4 years ago and red balls two years ago

I put snakes out by my blackberries this year and mived them everyday and the dang mockingbird adter about two weeks would land on the snake and eat the blackberries
Esteban du Plantier
AG
maddiedou said:

I lost quite a bit from the rain. But hopefully they will start turning now I will keep you posted

I think you have a calcium deficiency issue.
maroon barchetta
Esteban du Plantier said:

maddiedou said:

Username may check out.
leighann
AG
I got some of Maddiedoug's tomatoes last year, and they were delicious.
maddiedou
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

maddiedou said:

Please explain how because I have done nothing since it quot raining and have probably over a thousand green tomotoes that are on their way to ripening
maddiedou
AG
Same vines as the bottom end rot came off of but honestly I see the calcium problem thrown around alot but would you not have to do something to the plants to get good tomotoes if it was a calcium problem

These are tomotoes I picked two days ago and I have done nothing

Edit. This is not a combative response
michellecan
Yummy
maddiedou
AG
Yes. Maybe yummy but we will know more this weekend after a few have been given away to try
maddiedou
AG
Tailgate and maroon

979-eight two o -l87o

I also have some cucumbers and pototoes to give yall

Just text me
woodiewood1
I planted 24 cherry tomatoes and 10 Celebrity and now am getting about 20 tomatoes a day now.
FlyRod
Just put up my 5th quart of tomato passata, 6th tomorrow…the tomatoes just keep coming. The mockingbirds are normally a plague, but no problems so far. I know the good times will end eventually.
maddiedou
AG
That is alot of cherry tomotoes. You probably have a bunch of blooms that are about to start making a ton of tomotoes to pick I have some as volunteers and then I also took some seeds from HEB little tomotoes that my wife likes and they are finally growing so we will see If i can grow HEB tomotoes
maroon barchetta
Will do tomorrow or Saturday.
Tailgate88
AG
maddiedou said:

Tailgate and maroon

979-eight two o -l87o

I also have some cucumbers and pototoes to give yall

Just text me

Text sent!
woodiewood1
maddiedou said:

That is alot of cherry tomotoes. You probably have a bunch of blooms that are about to start making a ton of tomotoes to pick I have some as volunteers and then I also took some seeds from HEB little tomotoes that my wife likes and they are finally growing so we will see If i can grow HEB tomotoes
Been picking for about three weeks. I probably have given away about 200 tomatoes all ready.
Still more blooms but as normal once the temps get above 90 degrees a lot of the tomatoes don't set. I always plant early, the first week of March. This year I had to cover twice due to frost and once due to hail risk. Didn't lose any.

There's no telling what you will get from the HEB stock.

maddiedou
AG
I have tomototes but only about 30-40 pounds

I am mot setting up this week but probably next week but I will bring to yalls house if you want some

I would prefer to stay on south side by HEB tower park if possible
2.50 a pound

Just text me 979
Eight two-o
l87o
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.