Best neighborhoods in CS for retirees

5,431 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by leighann
turnag4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're recently retired and are considering selling our east Texas home and moving to Aggieland to be closer to our grown children and their families. Would appreciate any suggestions about good residential areas. We don't need a huge house, 1800 to 2000 SF is plenty for us. Can spend in the $350k range. Thanks
Koko Chingo
AG
Elaborate on 'Best'. What amenities are you looking for.

There are a few age restricted areas. My mom lives in one in Bryan (55+). Smaller homes, small yards but every home is very well taken care of.

There are no amenities like tennis courts, meeting spaces etc. Just like minded neighbors without students or young families who may want to party late at night.

Do you want a community pool, golf, etc? Once you layout some preferences, I am sure people will post neighborhoods and any specific HOA fees.

Welcome to BCS.
turnag4
AG
Amenities aren't important. I was a tennis player in younger days but not so much now. Never been a golfer. Our main priority would be a good safe area without college rental homes in the neighborhood. We don't mind young families with children nearby, would probably enjoy that. We plan to attend various sporting events at A&M, occasional concerts or speakers, find a church to get involved in, etc. We don't need subdivision frills. Thanks
CN
Castlegate II?
aneisch
AG
The Woodcreek subdivision is great. Nice homes but nothing too extravagant, no "luxury amenities" to pay for, pretty quiet, large trees, and right in town!
Koko Chingo
AG
Without a commute and no preference for amenities, you will have a lot of options.

My mom's place is in Bryan, age restricted (1 resident at least 55+) and no HOA fees for her house. It is a 2 bedroom about 1500 square feet. That's about average in her section. Her and my dad came from acerage. My mom adjusted really well to big city life, but my dad never really got used to it.

For football games the bus from Kyle Field to the free parking in Downtown Bryan is not bad. I have done that a couple of times because I was going back to my mom's house after the game versus home in college Station.

Traffic isn't as bad with the other sports, I usually drive.

trouble
AG
My MIL lived in Cat Hollow (off glenhaven, near the S&W clinic) for about 9 years. It's lovely. Very little rental property, lots of retirees and current A&M academic staff, a few young families. She only moved to be closer to us in Bryan.
happyinBCS
The Woodcreek patio homes are the best kept secret in Brazos County it is wonderful, the problem is if someone decides to sell it usually sells to a friend and never goes on the market.
Rex Racer
AG
The neighborhood around Broadmoor and Trophy is 55+. Small homes with small yards and very nice.
One Louder
AG
Rex Racer said:

The neighborhood around Broadmoor and Trophy is 55+. Small homes with small yards and very nice.

My mom lives on Trophy. Three bed/two bath, small yard, well-kept street with speed bumps. Because of the age restrictions, there is a fair amount of turnover of homes (as people retire to the old pearly gates in the sky). The prices are pretty reasonable.
BluHorseShu
AG
turnag4 said:

We're recently retired and are considering selling our east Texas home and moving to Aggieland to be closer to our grown children and their families. Would appreciate any suggestions about good residential areas. We don't need a huge house, 1800 to 2000 SF is plenty for us. Can spend in the $350k range. Thanks
If you're eliminating Bryan possibilities out of the gate, you're missing out on some hidden gems in Bryan.
milner79
Castle Rock, south College Station. One way in/out, reasonable quiet neighborhood. Several homes currently on the market.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Woodcreek is really underrated. I think Emerald Forest is still pretty solid and quiet for the most part.
aggiepaintrain
AG
when you factor in cost of utilities and property taxes, Bryan will be at a minimum $200/month less
Girlhowdy
AG
Rudder Pointe in Bryan
histag10
AG
There are a ton of new/newer neighborhoods in North Bryan. You will find younger families and retirees without having the hassle of college kids.

Siena is nice, not right in the middle of town, close proximity to 6, easy access to shopping. It does have some amenities

Generally under that 350k point.
agmom95
AG
My grandmother, then my mom lived on Lochinvar off of Trophy. Great neighbors, everyone took care of their yards and reasonably priced.
wareagle044
If you're able to go a bit above $350k there's a few houses in Vintage Estates off Old Reliance. ~2000sq ft only about 15 houses or so in there
turnag4
AG
Thanks to everyone for your responses. You've all given me some good information to research. We're looking forward to possibility getting back to Aggieland!
Rex Racer
AG
The Memorial Forest neighborhood is a bit older, but it is quiet. I lived there for 20 years until last June when I sold my house on Briarcreek Ct. I absolutely loved the neighborhood.
rodan85
AG
Creek Meadows fits that bill. Lots of places to walk and not many students.

We love it here and still feels like the country.
Gig 'em
Bryan '85
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
OP - You might also look at the Cove of Nantucket. Lots of well-maintained patio type homes in your pricing range and slightly newer builds. Quiet and fairly secluded but you also get the benefits of south college station like the Lowes, HEB, dining, etc. Plus easy access to HWY 6 and you can easily get to Indian Lakes behind it to find some good walking/hiking trails.

Currently there is a home listed there for $350K.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1746-Twin-Pond-Cir-College-Station-TX-77845/97577785_zpid/

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Gigem314
AG
turnag4 said:

You might try Greenbrier in Bryan. That's becoming a popular area for retirees.
PWR85
AG
I am retired here and living in Indian Lakes. Love this end of town. Like others pointed out, everything you need is south of the Texas Ave/Hwy 6 interchange. Great healthcare, Lowes, my HEB, restaurants, and I can get anywhere pretty fast.

I obviously do a lot with and around Texas A&M and can get there pretty quickly/easily, but otherwise can avoid it when I don't have to be there.

Indian Lakes won't be in the price point, but there are a lot of nice neighborhoods south of Rock Prairie and in between 6 and Wellborn. Then also just south of Fitch. Many different options in your price point. There are also a few newer neighborhoods off 30 near Harvey, but I know less about them.

I'm not going to get into the Bryan vs College Station debate. Pros/cons of each. I just prefer the newer, nicer, and safer part of BCS .

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm kidding and needling (for the record) . You'll love wherever you end up in BCS.
histag10
AG
PWR85 said:

I am retired here and living in Indian Lakes. Love this end of town. Like others pointed out, everything you need is south of the Texas Ave/Hwy 6 interchange. Great healthcare, Lowes, my HEB, restaurants, and I can get anywhere pretty fast.

I obviously do a lot with and around Texas A&M and can get there pretty quickly/easily, but otherwise can avoid it when I don't have to be there.

Indian Lakes won't be in the price point, but there are a lot of nice neighborhoods south of Rock Prairie and in between 6 and Wellborn. Then also just south of Fitch. Many different options in your price point. There are also a few newer neighborhoods off 30 near Harvey, but I know less about them.

I'm not going to get into the Bryan vs College Station debate. Pros/cons of each. I just prefer the newer, nicer, and safer part of BCS .

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm kidding and needling (for the record) . You'll love wherever you end up in BCS.

Aren't most of those littered with college kids? My little brother lived in that area the entirety of his time in college (graduated last May), because that's where all the parties were, so he could just walk home instead of driving.
trouble
AG
Culpepper Manor is a great old 'hood in Bryan. Centrally located, very few students (it's a protected hood so technically their parents have to own the house).

Super fast to campus if you know the back ways.
PWR85
AG
Certainly the closer you get to Fitch, the less students you'll be around. Lots of family neighborhoods in that area, great schools, College Station HS, etc. If you hop over Fitch to Castlegate and other areas, even better. Good mix of young families and old folks in these areas.
AG1996
Agreed that south of fitch is the place to be. New homes in southern point, on the old Texas motor speedway, will fit your price range. Doubt there are many students, but you will have to find out. Cove of Nantucket has one for sale. Great area. Creek meadows is another are that might work.
GrogsBane
I wouldn't recommend Oakmont.

- You likely wont find anything for 350k there.
- Apartments in the area and more coming (Copperfield and Boonville).
- College kids from the apartments are always in the neighborhood walking their many dogs and not cleaning up. Constantly speeding through the neighborhood etc. All of the confrontations I have seen in the neighborhood involve the houses that have college kids.
- Few stealth dorms that the HOA (or lack of) are not doing anything about.
-$600yr HOA fees which is some of the highest in the county.

Edited to add that earlier this year, some drunk 22yr old student in an SUV knocked down one of the main light poles by the entrance to the neighborhood on University at 2am in the morning. There are multiple houses/families that back up to the main entrance Oakmont sign. Save yourself the headache and move as far away as you can from any neighborhoods that are close to apartments. Maybe try south CS, Greenbriar or somewhere out of city limits.
BluHorseShu
AG
Rex Racer said:

The Memorial Forest neighborhood is a bit older, but it is quiet. I lived there for 20 years until last June when I sold my house on Briarcreek Ct. I absolutely loved the neighborhood.
Memorial Forest is wonderful. I grew up there 40 years ago and moved back. Lots of retirees and family's and great location. Plus a lot of the houses don't look cookie cutter like new developments.
halibut sinclair
Austin's Colony in Bryan. Super close to Kroger, shopping, restaurants and the post office. 2 clinics and an ER nearby, plus Walgreens for your prescriptions. Nice neighborhood and park for walking.
RangerTOM!
Bryan, TX ratio of number of residents to the number of sex offenders compared to nearest cities: (Note: Higher values mean more residents per sex offender) College Station: 1,446 Bryan: 361 Navasota: 173 Hearne: 144

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/so/so-Bryan-Texas.html

The crime rate in Bryan is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Bryan is 1 in 39. Based on FBI crime data, Bryan is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Texas, Bryan has a crime rate that is higher than 86% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.
For Bryan, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Bryan is one in 173.

NeighborhoodScout's analysis also reveals that Bryan's rate for property crime is 20 per one thousand population. This makes Bryan a place where there is an above average chance of becoming a victim of a property crime, when compared to all other communities in America of all population sizes. Property crimes are motor vehicle theft, arson, larceny, and burglary. Your chance of becoming a victim of any of these crimes in Bryan is one in 51.

maroon barchetta
Jamie@cs got a new sock.

It's been a long time.
trouble
AG
That's who it is!!!
histag10
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.