Eagle going to 3 times a week

11,582 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Love Gun
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LWEW said:

Julian? If we're thinking of the same guy, yes, he was great.
Yeah! That was the guy.

He did the Chronicle, Dallas Morning News and a bunch of others.
JaneDoe02
AG
I called today to cancel. End of an era.
meinkee
We subscribed for four decades and felt bad when we cancelled..but there was nothing to it anymore. AND THAT WAS 5 YEARS AGO, We just gave up our landlines, too.

Changing with the times.
halibut sinclair
So, the first e-edition of the "new" Eagle came out today. What a load of crap. All AP stories. Zero local coverage. A whopping 14 pages. This ain't gonna cut it.
EBrazosAg
AG
Subscription to the Eagle would be as useful as a membership at Briarcrest IMHO ….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
woodiewood1
The should go to one issue a weekend and try to get a lot of human interest stories, interviews with old timers, entrepreneurs, traveler's experiences, researchers, etc. in the area and region. They could have a number of local writers with their own columns covering their area of expertise and hobby.

Give readers the option of an online version or paper version.

I have read that a number of local and regional weekly papers are doing fine in some areas. This may not work here, but they are not going to make it with mail delivery newspapers arriving a day or so later with old news.

I wonder what the Wall Street Journal is going to do now due to the delivery person is only delivering it rather than with the Eagle?
cj774
AG
"Grandpa, why do you call the daily instant articles we get from the government "a newspaper"?"

"Because they used to print those news articles on paper and you read it each day. They would deliver it to your house in the morning."

"Grandpa, you mean people had houses back then?"

"Yes, they did."

"Grandpa….what's "paper"?"

BMo
This traditional newspaper is all but gone like many others. No local ownership
halibut sinclair
Tuesday wasn't much better. A couple of human-interest local stories, some local stuff that is already old news, no MLB coverage, a ton of AP filler. My subscription is going away soon. Very sad to see.
doubledog
The buzzard is gone.. RIP local news.
LOYAL AG
AG
I'm not concerned that The Eagle is dying. Businesses come and go and life moves on. My concern is that the news is getting more and more tightly controlled. There's been multiple videos over the last few years showing what people think are "local" TV news shows reading the exact same script. There is no local news if the editorial control is a national syndicate with a national perspective. It would surprise me to find out there's more than maybe 10 companies with the ability to actually create news stories. That's a significant amount of control in the hands of a very small group of people and worse still those people are very tightly aligned with a government that's proven it's willing to conspire to suppress free speech. It's not the death of the Eagle but rather the death of local news written by people we know and trust because they're our neighbors.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
tb9665
Does the Houston Chronicle still deliver here everyday?
AggiePhil
AG
I'd pay for a subscription to The Batt before I paid for The Eagle now. Is that an option??
Love Gun
Swirling the drain. They need to just go ahead and pull the plug. Get it over with because it is long overdue. KBTX better take notice and start taking a hard look at their customer base.
**** Joe Biden
Clucky
Amazing how people celebrate the downfall of a local business that has been her for over 130 years. Sure, it's not owned locally any longer, but there are still people that work there that live in this community and cover it daily. I hate to see the new changes myself, but such are the times we are in.

Griping about the local newspaper is an American tradition - so have at it. But the first "new" issue came out today, and it had a lot of good local content.
woodiewood1
Clucky said:

Amazing how people celebrate the downfall of a local business that has been her for over 130 years. Sure, it's not owned locally any longer, but there are still people that work there that live in this community and cover it daily. I hate to see the new changes myself, but such are the times we are in.

Griping about the local newspaper is an American tradition - so have at it. But the first "new" issue came out today, and it had a lot of good local content.
I don't really see any celebration here. People posting their exoeriences with the paper, what they see today, and thoughts and opinions on the paper's future.
Clucky
Maybe not celebration but the swarminess is palpable.
techno-ag
AG
tb9665 said:

Many moons ago I subscribed to the Chronicle. It was delivered by the same guy who delivered the Eagle.
woodiewood1
techno-ag said:

tb9665 said:

Many moons ago I subscribed to the Chronicle. It was delivered by the same guy who delivered the Eagle.
The same guy delivered the Eagle, The Chronicle and the Wall Street Journal. The lady across the street got all three and I take it over to her back door every morning....she is not 102 years old.
turfman80
AG
I actually thought todays 'expanded' edition wasn't bad….it actually took me more than the usual 5 minutes to go through it. That said, the Eagle would stand a much better chance of making it by reducing content by the Texas Tribune and the AP, and getting a more conservative slant on stories and editorials to match the community make up. But not being locally owned/operated, I don't expect it.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
MSTC Man
AG
Today was supposed to be the first day of mail delivery of The Eagle. Mine was not in the mail. Did anyone else experience this today?
GSS
The Texas Tribune is slick at claiming to be "nonpartisan", but slips editorial content, and selective reporting, into virtually every article. The Eagle's response was "the Tribune articles are free, as long as we do no editing or corrections...".
What a great way to be a media influencer, selective "facts" over real journalism.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
motherrunnersBCS
Well, I am interested in the mail subscription. But every time I try to subscribe, it just offers me an online subscription. I don't need to stare at my phone more than I do. Maybe the mail subscription is just for current subscribers.
TAMU1990
AG
LOYAL AG said:

I'm not concerned that The Eagle is dying. Businesses come and go and life moves on. My concern is that the news is getting more and more tightly controlled. There's been multiple videos over the last few years showing what people think are "local" TV news shows reading the exact same script. There is no local news if the editorial control is a national syndicate with a national perspective. It would surprise me to find out there's more than maybe 10 companies with the ability to actually create news stories. That's a significant amount of control in the hands of a very small group of people and worse still those people are very tightly aligned with a government that's proven it's willing to conspire to suppress free speech. It's not the death of the Eagle but rather the death of local news written by people we know and trust because they're our neighbors.

It's obvious KBTX is victim of this.
LWEW
Supposedly they do, but I didn't receive one on Wednesday. As I was typing this at midnight, I heard a noise outside, and lo and behold, there were Wednesday and Thursday's Chronicles.
halibut sinclair
Sunday online paper was 8 pages of old news and another 30 something pages of crap.
tb9665
I got my Sunday Houston Chronicle great today. Might try them daily.
Bucketrunner
GSS said:

The Texas Tribune is slick at claiming to be "nonpartisan", but slips editorial content, and selective reporting, into virtually every article. The Eagle's response was "the Tribune articles are free, as long as we do no editing or corrections...".
What a great way to be a media influencer, selective "facts" over real journalism.
That's all the local news in all formats uses as a basis for their stories. And it's blatantly biased
PS3D
Chewy said:

Even if people really wanted no slant news and a newspaper met that demand it's still a failed model because it's a dying medium. Fewer people are going to subscribe over time because there's more efficient ways to get their news.

The problem is content. Nobody wants to pay for the same AP/Texas Trib content you can find anywhere. A city with 100k+ people has more going on. There's business openings and closings that TexAgs flat out misses (and without the awful off-topic stuff), the "plane crashes in field" story had a lot of good potential yet the moderation at TexAgs caved and censored information, crime reports, traffic issues, restaurant reviews that are actually descriptive and well-written, and so forth. A lot of the problem is that covering those requires talented, well-paid people, which the Eagle just can't seem to manage.
Bucketrunner
That kind of coverage would be worth reading every day in print
W
AG
late to the party...

so no more print editions delivered to Kroger, HEB, gas stations, etc..,?
halibut sinclair
W said:

late to the party...

so no more print editions delivered to Kroger, HEB, gas stations, etc..,?

I think you can still buy a print copy in stores on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
AggiePhil
AG
Perhaps TexAgs should purchase The Eagle.
CCMD
AG
Cancelled subscription today. 20 year subscriber and probably held on 5 years too long. The lady I spoke to on the phone was one step from being just as irritating as the Optimum / Suddenlink people. She told me that I should write a letter to the editor of the the Eagle instead of cancelling my subscription ... The Eagle is dead to me.
Broncos
AggiePhil said:

Perhaps TexAgs should purchase The Eagle.
The Eagle has been bad for a long time...

A TexAgs Reader's Choice Awards could be good though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.