Eagle going to 3 times a week

11,695 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Love Gun
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did the sorting change immediately as well? I rarely need to mail anything local these days. I always thought taking away regional sorting was dumb.
Picadillo
Sad to see. Eagle's reporting on Covid was horrible. I could no longer stand it. Cancelled and now subscribe to The Epoch Times. Excellent and truthful.
Clucky
Epoch Times huh? Cool. Cool cool cool.
Tailgate88
AG
Epoch Times!
phillytex24
The anti-Trump and anti-Abbott slant cost them dearly. That's why we stopped our subscription in 2017, and I'm not really political I'm Libertarian; also worked there 5 years. The culture there was entirely Democrat when I worked there and it translated into their coverage. What a shame. If they were just fair, this hometown paper would be thriving. All my friends and family members quit their subscriptions over their anti-Trump coverage also. You can only roll your eyes so much before you say no more of this propaganda. Go woke, go broke.
rlb28
AG
Therein lies the problem. A hometown newspaper should be predominantly covering local news, not national.
Chewy
AG
Damn. How are people in the Brazos Valley gonna know why some random stranger is smiling every day?
GSS
The Eagle's reliance on the Texas Tribune was yet another reason to dump the Eagle. Even acknowledging the Tribune's bias in reporting (via email's to the managing editor(s)), the response was "they still are our best, and free, source of state news". Wow, just wow....slanted and selective news is okay, because it's free?
NRA Life
TSRA Life
rlb28
AG
I talked to my local paper about the editorial statements inserted in Associated Press news stories that were clearly NOT opinion pieces during Trump's term. They said they were having such a hard time with the AP, they had to quit using them for national news.
GSS
The editors both responded that the agreement to use the Tribune articles included a "no editing" clause, which for a outlet like the Tribune, with an agenda, that reeks of journalism being used in a political way.

And I'll admit, well done, in a "60 Minutes" kind of way. "See, we presented some real facts, selectively, and added some editorial content...but not too much. And we will not cover topics that would reflect poorly on the political persuasion we advocate".
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Bucketrunner
We would love to have a daily paper with a focus solely on local news. We haven't had that in a while. I can get slanted national and state news on television.
halibut sinclair
Bring back The Pictorial Press!
Chewy
AG
Newspapers got a terminal illness when CraigsList came along.

It would vary by market but for the most part a newspapers revenue broke down roughly like this:

Classifieds - 40% including auto dealers, jobs, and real estate brokers.
Advertising - 40% including those inserts that were generally Wednesday for grocery stores and then Sunday for so much.
Subscription - 20%

Classified ads and those inserts basically subsidized the reporters and journalism. The funny thing about those inserts is advertisers used the paper because it was more cost effective than direct mail. The newspaper was basically a cheaper service than the USPS.

As newspapers lost circulation they lost their scale of distribution for certain advertisers.

Journalism never carried the freight at newspapers even in the glory days. Now all that subsidized advertising revenue is gone.

Kudos to the newspapers trying to make it work as it can add value to a community but it's a failed business model without the advertising subsidies that piggy backed on an efficient distribution model they created.

Throw in the fact we live in an insanely politically divided time where people don't really want objective news and just want an echo chamber so local journalism doesn't really stand a chance.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Throw in the fact we live in an insanely politically divided time where people don't really want objective news and just want an echo chamber so local journalism doesn't really stand a chance.
I disagree with that. If the Eagle had stayed neutral, they wouldn't have lost as many people.

Most people crave actual news without a slant.
75AG
AG
Most people crave the news they slant to.
trouble
AG
75AG said:

Most people crave the news they slant to.

Winner winner chicken dinner
Tyrannosaurus Ross
AG
Fair enough, then the Eagle should have recognized their subscriber community and provided content accordingly so as to not alienate them. KBTX makes this same mistake as well IMO.
Chewy
AG
Even if people really wanted no slant news and a newspaper met that demand it's still a failed model because it's a dying medium. Fewer people are going to subscribe over time because there's more efficient ways to get their news.

The distribution costs don't scale below a certain sub number so it's costly to distribute even beyond the cost of content creation.

We can argue content to demand ratio but it's always been on a downward slope once classifieds left and advertisers found other places because the costs to distribute a physical newspaper don't scale down and making money in digital is EXTREMELY difficult.

Newspapers have been trying to go digital for two decades but nobody has figured it out. Same with broadcast news. Broadcast has been able to hold thanks largely because their cost to "create" news has decreased. Equipment and talent costs have gone down quite a bit.

The "traditional" media we've known for the last 50 years is changing. Those that slant with the cheapest distribution are the ones who make money.
maroon barchetta
I didn't see the Obits mentioned above.

The joke used to be "people dying is what pays for the paper". Obits aren't cheap. My hometown newspaper charged $400 for my dad's obit several years ago. It was not a huge obit. Medium-sized maybe.

It's been frustrating that you only get a certain number of page views on the digital platform of any paper before they want you to pay for views that day or subscribe to their digital output.

It shouldn't be that way with Obituaries. People paid to have those published. Other people should not have to then pay to read them.

Advertisers pay to be in the paper and they certainly don't charge to have you read the ads.

Their myopic view on several fronts has done them in. I gave up the Chronicle and the Eagle quite some time ago.
Bucketrunner
I agree. And, as a woman, I always enjoyed the wedding stories with descriptions of the flowers, gowns and such. We had to pay a fortune to get our daughter's wedding in the local and the Waco papers. As I've gotten older, the obituaries are the first thing I read - just to be sure I'm not listed in there.
LWEW
What did you find out about that? I subscribe to the Houston Chronicle and was wondering about that too.
maroon barchetta
Yeah. Me too.

If see myself listed, I'm calling in dead to work.
Belton Ag
AG
LWEW said:

What did you find out about that? I subscribe to the Houston Chronicle and was wondering about that too.
Dad called the WSJ and they told him they had independent carriers and they would have it delivered daily.
techno-ag
AG
For local news I just pay attention to this board. Anything happens of note, it'll be mentioned
woodiewood1
They don't have a snowball's chance in Hell to make a go of it via USPS. I suspect a third of the subscribers won't re-subscribe when it's due and another third will drop it after they get the Saturday paper on Tuesday, The Tuesday on Wednesday in the mail, and the Thursdays late, late Thurs or Friday evening.

The last third will hang on until the Eagle quits printing and mailing it.
Love Gun
woodiewood1 said:

They don't have a snowball's chance in Hell to make a go of it via USPS. I suspect a third of the subscribers won't re-subscribe when it's due and another third will drop it after they get the Saturday paper on Tuesday, The Tuesday on Wednesday in the mail, and the Thursdays late, late Thurs or Friday evening.

It is a slow death, because in the 40+ years that I've known about The Eagle, they've never been one to look themselves in the mirror and be honest with themselves about their management (of lack thereof) of their industry in this town.

Instead of adapting and focusing more on their app and their digital content, they're still trying to shove paper news down your throats. When you combine that endangered business model with wokeism and the echo chamber of today's media, its obvious The Eagle has been swirling the bowl for a while.
**** Joe Biden
woodiewood1
Belton Ag said:

LWEW said:

Dad called the WSJ and they told him they had independent carriers and they would have it delivered daily.
They may have independent carriers, but it's been the same carrier for at least a decade. They even put the WSJ and Eagle in the same plastic sack.
Rexter
My parakeets were livid when I told them they're only gonna get new paper 3x a week!
Clucky
BTW - if you feel you got ripped off on the obits, it was probably the funeral home that ripped you off. They'll "take care of your obit" , have the paper do it, then charge you double what the paper charged them.
maroon barchetta
Clucky said:

BTW - if you feel you got ripped off on the obits, it was probably the funeral home that ripped you off. They'll "take care of your obit" , have the paper do it, then charge you double what the paper charged them.

Nope.

Went through the newspaper directly.
Clucky
techno-ag
AG
Love Gun said:

woodiewood1 said:

It is a slow death, because in the 40+ years that I've known about The Eagle, they've never been one to look themselves in the mirror and be honest with themselves about their management (of lack thereof) of their industry in this town.

Instead of adapting and focusing more on their app and their digital content, they're still trying to shove paper news down your throats. When you combine that endangered business model with wokeism and the echo chamber of today's media, it's obvious The Eagle has been swirling the bowl for a while.
Obviously not all local media has gone downhill. Bryan Broadcasting is still locally owned and doing well.
Belton Ag
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Belton Ag said:

LWEW said:

They may have independent carriers, but it's been the same carrier for at least a decade. They even put the WSJ and Eagle in the same plastic sack.

For years after I moved to BCS I would buy a Houston Chronicle sub from the same guy here. He handled all sorts of newspapers and did a pretty good job for his customers. I can't remember his name now, but I wonder if he's still around.
techno-ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

woodiewood1 said:

Belton Ag said:

LWEW said:

For years after I moved to BCS I would buy a Houston Chronicle sub from the same guy here. He handled all sorts of newspapers and did a pretty good job for his customers. I can't remember his name now, but I wonder if he's still around.
Back when we had to register in person there was always a table for newspaper subscriptions. I bet they garnered thousands of extra subscribers that way each semester.
LWEW
Julian? If we're thinking of the same guy, yes, he was great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.