Phase Inspector for New Home Construction

1,250 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rex Racer
currie-s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be building a home later this year, and plan to contract it out myself.
I'm planning to have phase inspections done during the build to help catch potential issues. If you had a good experience with a phase inspector for a new build, let me know. Thanks!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I don't wanna be one of those people that derails the thread by suggesting you reconsider building yourself, but just know its a very difficult thing to pull off even if you have a great inspector to help along the way. Right now the best crews are sticking within rotations of home builders they know will shoot em more business soon as that build is done.

That said, I know Nathan Winchester (not an inspector, but a local architect) offers these services and he's pretty popular around town.
EliteElectric
Another thing to consider is that when you have no leverage with subs you have no leverage.

I have never, ever, heard a good story of someone trying to be their own GC. 100% of the time they end up wishing they had hired a GC
currie-s
AG
I appreciate your concerns regarding the project. I would probably have a similar response to friends considering building themselves. However, I have contracted enough projects over the years, where I could be in the business if I chose to. I was just asking for inspector recommendations, because in the past, I have appreciated another set of eyes looking at my projects.
etj77845
I used Tucker Inspections over 20yrs ago. https://tuckerinspections.com/ . Guided me through some sticky issues.
At least give them a look.
Vinewood_03
Echo what Elite said. I've never heard a good outcome of people GC'ing their own home construction who don't already have some ties to the industry. The cost savings is enticing but not worth the headache in the end. There are plenty of small true custom home builders in this town that have long established relationships with trusted subs that will do good work……
JMac03
AG
I don't know if he does inspections during the building phases, but we use Moore Inspections for all of our stuff, and I know my realtor uses him for all of hers. Sean has a great team.
Rex Racer
AG
etj77845 said:

I used Tucker Inspections over 20yrs ago. https://tuckerinspections.com/ . Guided me through some sticky issues.
At least give them a look.
I have used Tucker, as well, when a contractor for the City of Bryan hit my house with a backhoe. Highly recommend them (Tucker, not the backhoe operator).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.