College Station City Council Asked to Decriminalize Misdemeanor Marijuana Possession

2,734 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LOYAL AG
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-is-asked-to-decriminalize-marijuana-possession/
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG

I'm for it. I have a prescription for THC thru the Texas Compassionate Use Program. Never touched the stuff until I got a prescription. It's done wonders for me.

However, reading the article, it sounds like the presentation went very poorly.
Bryanisbest
AG
Texas legislature says "hello."
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

A presentation was made by a representative of a Texas A&M student group "Students for Sensible Drug Policy".
AKA the Athletic Department
duffelpud
AG
I think they burn it as incense in the council chambers.
"What's this button do?"
13B
Does Lethal=GrapeSoda?
AggieCVQ
Need to just legalize it. I can understand those who don't want it in public, but at least let me smoke in my backyard.
Smeghead4761
The fact that they apparently believe that a city council can change state law would support the argument that marijuana makes you stupid.
AggieCVQ
Pretty sure Austin decriminalized it a while back.
Jinx
I think many people would be surprised just who frequents the local smoke shops in town and who buys up all the Delta 8 stuff. (I know it's not the same but I'm sure many would move to the topic at hand given the opportunity to legally do so)

There's one next to my usual haircut place and I got a kick out of hearing 3 senior aged ladies convincing their friend to try a particular product as they went inside. Bet the ones down near tower point are making a killing.
boredatwork08
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

The fact that they apparently believe that a city council can change state law would support the argument that marijuana makes you stupid.

Decriminalization just means that officers would not arrest or cite people found with the substance.
Smeghead4761
boredatwork08 said:

Smeghead4761 said:

Decriminalization just means that officers would not arrest or cite people found with the substance.
So what they want is for the city council to tell CSPD to selectively enforce the law?

Sorry kids. You want the law changed, go bother the legislature. They're even in session.
phillytex24
I'm for this! Stop ruining lives. It's just weed.
wareagle044
vmiaptetr said:

I'm for it. I have a prescription for THC thru the Texas Compassionate Use Program Never touched the stuff until I got a prescription. It's done wonders for me.

However, reading the article, it sounds like the presentation went very poorly.

Did you just approach your primary care provider about this? The VA?
boredatwork08
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

boredatwork08 said:

Smeghead4761 said:

So what they want is for the city council to tell CSPD to selectively enforce the law?

Sorry kids. You want the law changed, go bother the legislature. They're even in session.
Officers already selectively enforce the law. So much is left to their discretion while on patrol.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Since it's still illegal at a federal level, I can't go thru the VA to get it, but it was prescribed based on my PTSD rating. I got the prescription thru an outside doctor, but I let my VA Primary Care Physician know that I have it so he can make decisions based on the full picture.

Dr. Lisa Gardner wrote my prescription. Thrivemedicalcannabis.com is the website I used to schedule my appointment. If you are a veteran, the appointment is no cost, and the medication is heavily discounted.
techno-ag
AG
Since the council tries to protect neighborhoods, all an opponent needs to say is we don't want to smell pot while walking down the sidewalk.

Also, I think CSISD is still doing drug testing for students in extracurricular activities.

I doubt this will pass.
doubledog
Smeghead4761 said:

boredatwork08 said:

Smeghead4761 said:

"Students for Sensible Drug Policy" .... Our kids God love them.

As long as they do not toke and drive, go out in public, jam the midnight pizza parlors then I have no issue with this.

I doubt many citations are just for dope smoking (alone).

bcstx06
AggieCVQ said:

Not just Austin, mostly all of the major cities in Texas and I believe even smaller cities like Waco, Temple, Killeen have.

As far as States go, medical marijuana is legal in 37 States. Texas is so restrictive many believe that we will probably be the last State to legalize it.
GarlandAg2012
AG
How have some of the posters on this thread never heard of decriminalization for weed? It is extremely common. Police and cities have a lot of discretion when it comes to law enforcement.
EMY92
AG
bcstx06 said:

AggieCVQ said:

Not just Austin, mostly all of the major cities in Texas and I believe even smaller cities like Waco, Temple, Killeen have.

As far as States go, medical marijuana is legal in 37 States. Texas is so restrictive many believe that we will probably be the last State to legalize it.
Waco has not.
Temple has not to my knowledge.
Killeen did a referendum that passed, but the city council rejected it due to violating state law.
bcstx06
Well some great news today:
Texas makes breakthrough in expanding medical marijuana access
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/texas-medical-marijuana-17851591.php
LOYAL AG
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Texas legislature says "hello."

IIRC The state house passed a decriminalization bill last session by a very large margin but Dan Patrick saved us all because he knows what's best.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.