Bermuda seed

1,244 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by histag10
aggies4life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need to re-seed. What is the best type of Bermuda grass seed for Brazos county pasture with horses? when to plant? Best place to buy?

Mainly for horse grazing. Producers Cooperative seemed to have 4-5 dif types and recommended Cheyenne Bermuda….figured I'd get opinions here too
Playtuagain
AG
When I talked to producers co-op, they recommended Tierra Verde blend, which is Mohawk and Sahara II.
aggies4life
AG
Was Recommendation they gave you based on for horse pasture grazing?
Playtuagain
AG
Yes. I wound up buying Common because they had some in stock and they said it will be fine for horses, just not as ideal. I am waiting to plant until it warms up a little.
BQ_90
AG
how many acres, how many horses. the closer to 1:1 that ratio is, the more of a chance you won't have anything growing the way horse eat.

you need more acres per horse than you do for cows if the goal is for the pasture to provide all forage needs.

But horse graze very close to the ground, so honestly if you can keep anything growing you're winning.

Just get the cheapest bermuda seed you can, most likely I am assuming you will provide extra hay and grain to the horse. Seed at 5 lbs per acre. Don't graze it until it's well established, most like a growing season depending on rain.

https://agrilife.org/agnewsandviews/2017/04/24/establishing-bermudagrass/
aggies4life
AG
1 horse at around 3 acres - and I probably should have added - this is for re-seeding Bermuda…

Was going to wait till ground temp is atleast 65f+….
BQ_90
AG
big thing will can you keep them off of the ground after you've planted it. you could double planting rates to get faster stand. Make sure the seedbed is FIRM, you should see footprints but you shouldn't sink in the ground.

I would go with cheapest bermuda the COOP has, or get mix. You're not looking at much seed
histag10
AG
You can come dig up some of our bahia grass. That stuff grows through everything, and is surprisingly thick.

We did not plant it. We do not want it, but I also don't want to plow up and reseed or sod 3 acres with something nicer.

But also- if you are looking for horse grazing, I would seriously look into bahia. It handles horse grazing better than Bermuda, and is more tolerant and requires less maintenance than Bermuda.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.