Casa Rods

20,122 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by AggiePirate
ShelontheShelf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it gonna die? I am worried about it, I never got over Nortenos and this would break me
toolshed
AG
We used to be there once a week, but haven't been in 5-7 years. The place went downhill when she and her husband separated, other good managers left. The place was dirty, half the dining room would be closed with chairs on tables.

We went in once and there was a homecoming or some sort of youth thing going on, the waiters said it would be slow. I don't think we went back after that.

Between those issues and food quality going downhill. Sad since we were there so much before that. It just became a disappointment too often to keep returning.
Hornbeck
We went a while back and were unimpressed. There's much better Tex-Mex around here.
Rexter
Tommy had it jammin when he was running it. After he left, it went waaaay downhill. We used to go weekly for lunch, but I haven't been in 3-4 yrs.
Birddog
AG
Running theme here, it was in our regular rotation on date nite. Haven't been there is 3 years I bet.

Sleepnumber
AG
Hornbeck said:

We went a while back and were unimpressed. There's much better Tex-Mex around here.
Went recently....regretted it. Felt dirty; and the food tasted as if it just come from a can.
iisanaggie
AG
We went a few months ago and said that we wouldn't go back. Prices went way up, and quality has gone way down.
birdman
It doesn't crack the Top 10 local places in Mexican food.
trouble
AG
We haven't been in years. Second to last time, food and service were disappointing but we decided to give it one more try. Last time, we were waiting for 5 minutes and no one even acknowledged us. Too many other good places to continue to waste my time and money there.
phillytex24
At one time it was such a shining star, but sadly that era's long gone.
BQ_90
AG
Went for lunch 2 weeks ago, we had to beg somebody to take our order, food was ok, chips where greasy and nasty

I'm not,going back
Mathguy64
AG
Can we beg the former owners of Gina's to try again? Man I miss Volcan.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
One of my favorite places to go in school ('10-'14) with my favorite enchiladas and salsa in town. My wife and I have been twice in the last several years. Food tasted like it came out of a box from the freezer section in walmart and service wasn't quite up to par.

Mi Pueblito has been my go to for Tex Mex for the last several years.
davido
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Doesn't technically exist anymore. It also changed hands. Forget the new name. I order the same simple custom thing every time I go, so I'm not really sure what all they've changed.
trouble
AG
davido said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

Doesn't technically exist anymore. It also changed hands. Forget the new name. I order the same simple custom thing every time I go, so I'm not really sure what all they've changed.

Los hermanos Marquez or something along those lines. It's actually better than it's been the last couple years.
Wvpd0707
AG
We stopped going to Casa Rod for several years then decided to give a try last year. Couldn't get anyone to take our order. Food was not as good as before. Had to wait a long time to get our food and then even longer to get our check. Not going back. Hermanos Marquez is our go to for Mexican food now. Good service and the food is great.
TyHolden
AG
What is the best Tex-Mex in BCS? I hardly get to go because my kids are whiny, little punks and can't handle spice but every now and then I get a bone. They like Gringos because it has good salads and free ice cream
trouble
AG
Like closest to Los Nortenos? That style of good greasy Tex Mex?

Dos Hermanos Marquez previously Mi pueblito
Hornbeck
Gringo's as you mentioned is good.
Polly's Cocina in the gas station at Rock Prairie is too.
Los cucos isn't bad.
I want to list Jose's as it was my nostalgic go-to in college, but the last few times we went, weren't good.

Seems to be hard to be good and keep being good for a long time...

Edit: street name wrong
gettingitdone
We haven't been in a really long time. As mentioned by others, the service is sub par and the food just isn't what it used to be. There are too many other places in town that I can go to. We do love Polly's in CS
whisperingbill
trouble said:

Like closest to Los Nortenos? That style of good greasy Tex Mex?

Now that's what I'm talking about. The good old days!!!...Best breakfast in town. R.I.P. Los Nortenos. Now it's breakfast tacos from La Familia. ......Casa Rod just wasn't very good the last time I ate there, which was several years ago. I guess you can add me to the "never went back" list.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Mathguy64 said:

As long as we are begging former texmex owners let's try to do that w the old Garcias owners.
Robert L. Peters
It's been bad ever since I went there...like 20 years
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
maroon barchetta
Quit telling people about La Familia
GoodOleBryanBoy
Casa Rod was my family's go-to for years, and as far as I was concerned was the best Tex-Mex in BCS. The service went downhill first, and then eventually, the food went downhill as well. Now and then, my family and I go to see if they've figured out anything, and then we leave disappointed. The irony, while there is good Tex-Mex in BCS, I haven't found a Tex-Mex restaurant that compares to Casa Rod in its heyday.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
The owner posts frequently in the BCS Meals and Deals page. She seems to care about the business, just might need to address the food and service quality issues that everyone speaks of first.
dubi
AG
We always ate dinner @ Casa Rod on Wednesday's for enchilada night back in the day when the food was good. It slowly became completely inedible and we quit going a good 7-8 years ago.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Mathguy64 said:

As long as we are begging former texmex owners let's try to do that w the old Garcias owners.
And Fajita Ritas. Actually, I don't remember much about that place other than the warm salsa, but that's enough for me to wish it back.
trouble
AG
I've given her the same feedback. Nothing has changed.
Wicked Good Ag
So everyone who says it has gone downhill to whuch i agree what are your now go to places ?
cypress-ag
AG
So, I'm in the process of relocation to BCS. I have an apartment until wife and I decided on where we want to live. Been here for 6 months and I'm looking for that go to place to scratch that texmex itch.
I've jotted down Dos Hermanos Marquez and Mi Pueblito as somewhere to go, but man I'll take any hints of places to try but what I've eaten has been poor.
cypress-ag
AG
I've tried Casa Rod, Papa Perez, Joses, Cilantro, & Don Chente. And I will say that for me depending on what I want to eat, I'll go to different places, Down and dirty enchiladas might be one, fajitas etc. another, Tacos another. Hot sauce and Rita's need to be solid as well.
Rex Racer
AG
cypress-ag said:

So, I'm in the process of relocation to BCS. I have an apartment until wife and I decided on where we want to live. Been here for 6 months and I'm looking for that go to place to scratch that texmex itch.
I've jotted down Dos Hermanos Marquez and Mi Pueblito as somewhere to go, but man I'll take any hints of places to try but what I've eaten has been poor.
Cilantro is very good.
trouble
AG
Those are the same place. It's my go-to for enchiladas.

For tacos, I usually go to tacobar or taco crave.

La familia downtown and Jesse's are my breakfast taco places.

El Sol used to be so good but I haven't been to the MLK location in years and the Villa Maria one isn't as good.
whisperingbill
La Familia downtown for breakfast tacos. There is a reason that cars line up in the street at their drive through window!! I recommend the Mexican potato breakfast taco. I'm not sure it's even on the menu.....And I'm also a El Sol fan. The MLK location. Best fajitas in town, in my opinion. (I get the combination fajitas every time)
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.