1985 Commercial Pig Farm in East Brazos County?

2,720 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by duckdog
Animal Eight 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do any of you remember a commercial pig farm in East Brazos County, around 1985?

I'm trying to remember the exact location, memory has faded.

Some of my CT buddies were 5th year seniors, they cheaply rented an un-airconditioned house on this pig farm.
I remember staying there a few days in June 1984 or 85 with my buddies.

House was close to the pig sheds and waste lagoon and stunk like you can't imagine, especially since they had to keep windows open when it was hot.

I think pig farm may have been on Tabor road area or Grassbur area.

Thanks!
BrazosWifi
There was the Lilly Dairy off of Dilly Shaw Tap. I've only been here since 2000 so I'm not familiar with a pig farm but the waste lagoon near the dairy would be a bit *fresh*, I'm sure.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
AggiePhil
AG
Are you wanting to go back??
Animal Eight 84
AG
Memory's faded LOL, but was definitely a pig farm.

I've raised cattle all my life, I didn't realize how much a pig farm could stink.

Don't want to go back, just trying to find where it was.
oklaunion
I believe one of the Weedons had a fairly large operation.
Animal Eight 84
AG
That would be about right. Elmo Weedon Road or Harvey Weedon road area.

BCS was much more " country rural" forty years ago.

ComfortAg
AG
Not sure if we're talking about the same one, but I used to shoot at a rifle range everyone called "the pig farm" off 21 west of Kurten. Used to put our $2 in a mailbox and shoot until we ran out of ammo.
FlyRod
Wasn't it where the Bush Museum was built? No this isn't a bad joke, I literally remember people talking about it.
Birddog
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

That would be about right. Elmo Weedon Road or Harvey Weedon road area.

BCS was much more " country rural" forty years ago.

It was at the end of Hardy Weedon Rd. They had a the pig farm as well as several rental houses on and around the property.
RDH80
AG
Yes , there were sheep and swine pens west of campus . I had a running class for PE and we had to run west from jolly rollie around the pens and back to Kyle and run around the track 4 times at noon- in the summer stinky and hot .
Animal Eight 84
AG
RDH80 said:

Yes , there were sheep and swine pens west of campus . I had a running class for PE and we had to run west from jolly rollie around the pens and back to Kyle and run around the track 4 times at noon- in the summer stinky and hot .

The infamous "Pig Farm".
As a fish in 1980, we ran multiple "crap out" runs to the west campus pig farm at night. About where the Bush Library is now.

Crawled through those pig farm slime-filled ditches more than once. Then on our way to the "reactor" for more fun & calisthenics.
That over the road crossing over Wellborn really sucked on the way back.

Always was punishment for heinous crimes like not cutting square corners around trash cans, talking while on the quad, brass not shined properly.....

Animal Eight 84
AG
Birddog said:

It was at the end of Hardy Weedon Rd. They had a the pig farm as well as several rental houses on and around the property.
Thanks!
We bought some property very near the area (on Shirley Road) and it sure looked familiar where Elmo Weedon and Grassbur connect.
rolling_ridgeag05
The one where the Bush School is at was the A&M Swine farm
wasntme
Did you want to try and lease it for $1 year?
AG81
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

Do any of you remember a commercial pig farm in East Brazos County, around 1985?

Some of my CT buddies were 5th year seniors, they cheaply rented an un-airconditioned house on this pig farm.

House was close to the pig sheds and waste lagoon and stunk like you can't imagine, especially since they had to keep windows open when it was hot.

Thanks!

It wasn't near Grassbur.
Tim Weaver
FlyRod said:

Wasn't it where the Bush Museum was built? No this isn't a bad joke, I literally remember people talking about it.
I worked at A&M when George Bush jumped out of the airplane on his 80th birthday. We spent the majority of the week leading up to that event in the rain and the mud setting fences and burying wire All over the field beside the GBL. We tore all across that field with Gators and I can tell you the ghosts of pigs past have not left. As soon as you dig down a couple inches and churn up that mud it STINKS!
AggiePhil
AG
Burying wire??
Tim Weaver
Speaker wire, microphone cable, power. Stuff for the event, but couldn't just be run across the ground.

We did this for Bonfire too. At the end we'd cut the ends off the wires and leave them in the ground. There's a ton of wire buried out there around the bonfire site.
GoneGirl
AG
AG81 said:

Animal Eight 84 said:

Thanks!

It wasn't near Grassbur.
It was over around old reliance, I think. You used to be able to smell the pigs.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Moy
I remember the pig farm well. It was on Hardy Weedon, east of the lake. Last I went through there a few years ago some of the structures were still standing. The rent houses were still in use. The years run together but I think the Sun compressor station was in service just to the east of the farm on Hardly Weedon.
duckdog
AG
The pig farm on Hardy Weedon was owned by Travis and Joyce Weedon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.